UCAN Rebanding has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Your PRO-95 is tracking Ford Ridge with the rebanded freq OK then? I thought this particular model would be a paperweight after the rebanding stuff came out way back when. Can you get Teat Peak in Spanish Fork Canyon and has it rebanded yet?

Yeah the TG's show the same as before 6560 and 19744 same, Its either Pro-94 or 95 i cant read it but i think its 95. I went to provo with my 396T Before Ford Got rebanded and Teat was Still the Same Not rebanded yet. But i cant hit it from here only occasionally on certain days on VHF 155.625 but I havent been able to hear that for a while either from here. Teat VHF is very weak here, so I know that 800 mhz teat would be impossible to hear let alone decode.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Unitrunker Reband info

Unitrunker info from now rebanded Ford Ridge.

Attachments

• Ucansite38rebandedgroups080108.jpg
    Ucansite38rebandedgroups080108.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 306
  • Ucansite38rebanded080108.jpg
    Ucansite38rebanded080108.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 279
  • Ucansite38rebandedchans080108.jpg
    Ucansite38rebandedchans080108.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 276
  • Ucansite38rebandedbands080108.jpg
    Ucansite38rebandedbands080108.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 268

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Ford Ridge, etc.

Enos, since you seem to have Ford Ridge figured out and are the only forum member from that area, why don't you submit all the frequencies as best you know them--indicating control channel(s)--and I'll update the DB and make a note that the site has been rebanded.

Others can do the same for other sites, but I suggest presenting the data here first for the Salt Lake area so that everyone is in agreement.

-Tim

bco

Buying new scanner

Hello All -

I am a passive scanner user but have been following this rebanding issue recently as my firefighter neighbor mentioned that they are having their radios reprogrammed soon.

I currenly have a Uniden BC245XLT that has worked well for me. What will I need to have once the rebanding is in effect?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Ben

qlajlu

Silent Key
Hello All -

I am a passive scanner user but have been following this rebanding issue recently as my firefighter neighbor mentioned that they are having their radios reprogrammed soon.

I currenly have a Uniden BC245XLT that has worked well for me. What will I need to have once the rebanding is in effect?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Ben
Welcome Ben,​
to the Utah Forum of RR.com​
This is a good place for you to visit to answer your questions, but first some housekeeping items. I urge you to return to your User CP (Left side of second blue bar at top of page) and finish filling in your Profile especially your location. That way it will show in each of your posts and we will know where you are. It does make it easier to address specific questions. It is also a small matter of courtesy to the rest of us.

Now, to your scanner. According to the Wiki, your scanner, unfortunately, will not support rebanding, but then you must know that because of your question. If you scroll through the list of Uniden scanners in the Wiki, you will see which ones can support rebanding and you could maybe find a good used one on eBay. Many of us have decided to purchase new GRE scanners (the PSR-500 or PSR-600).

It is good that you are looking into this, because, as you have noticed and commented about, UCAN is in the process of changing their sites over to the new spectrum as we speak.

Again, welcome, and please visit often, ask questions, make comments and suggestions.

bco

New Scanner

Thanks for your help. I have been looking for a group like this. I used to participate in the old UCAN800 Yahoo Group that John VanAllen introduced me to.

In comparing between the Uniden, GRE and Radioshack (aren't these GRE too?) models, I am finding that replacing my scanner is going to be quite pricey.

Any thoughts on the Pro-162/164 models from Radioshack? I think i am limited to considering between these and the BC246T.

Basically, I don't know if I am ready to make the price jump up to the GRE models. What are the advantages? My usage pattern is fairly basic: scan UCAN and some conventional fire freqs. I have not gotten into software much (trunktracker, etc.) but may consider it someday.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Ah, Jon Van Allen. You know him, too, huh? He has influenced many scanners in this area. He uses his HAM call sign (KF7YN) as his screen name, and KT7L is also from that group.

It is my understanding that Radio Shack and GRE are the same, but I am not geek enough to confirm or deny that. I, and some others here, wanted something a little more advanced than the basic scanners offered and GRE is gleaning a great reputation for making firmware updates to accommodate changing conditions. I will have to defer to someone else on the RS scanners. I have been a devout Uniden user, but since rebanding was forced on us, Uniden hasn't responded quite as fast or as effectively as GRE.

Again, welcome. Visiting here is sometimes like fishing. You cast your line, wait, hope, reel it in, see if or what you have caught. Try again. This forum, to me, is like a habit. I only wish I had the technical knowledge that many of our members have.

bco

Uniden

So what is your understanding of rebanding?

Mainly, will these newer scanners (Uniden, RS, GRE, etc.) continue to work once the rebanding is complete or will everything require an upgrade to firmware, software, whatever?

Am I better off waiting a while for the next best thing?

qlajlu

Silent Key
If you will read the information here, I think your questions on rebanding will be mostly answered. It is far too complex to go into here. That page is a long read, but worth your time. Basically, all scanners will be affected in some way.

Some systems will not be bothered because they are outside the affected bands. SLC (the AC33 system) and the SL Airport (system 3521) will probably not be affected as far as our ability to scan them. Their radios did, however, go through upgrades so they could be used for better interoperability with other agencies during times of emergency.

Another big item of consideration is the fact that many agencies throughout the US are moving to digital. We have a few Talk Groups here that are digital now, but not a significant enough number to be worried about missing a lot of traffic.

I would also suggest that you read the Scanner Model Forums in the RR.com main forums for as much information as you can find.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Enos, since you seem to have Ford Ridge figured out and are the only forum member from that area, why don't you submit all the frequencies as best you know them--indicating control channel(s)--and I'll update the DB and make a note that the site has been rebanded.

Others can do the same for other sites, but I suggest presenting the data here first for the Salt Lake area so that everyone is in agreement.

-Tim

i was going to wait til i was sure enough on the frequencies and the alt control channels before submitting.

Junior1970

Teat Peak

Teat Peak has rebanded CC 851.6375. I rolled over to Price yesterday for International Days and didn't hear any traffic on Ford Ridge or Teat yesterday. Probably because the Washington/Pioneer Park area of Price doesn't pick up the Ford 800 repeater (at least I couldn't). The 95 did attempt to get UtCo SAR traffic on Teat yesterday but it showed 863.8375 with no sound. Obviously not working well. I'm not purchasing any new radios until I hear of a firmware update that fixes this problem. The only radio that is "rebandable" in my shack is my 96. This sucks.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Hey you should've told me you were coming i would have went up there. I normally do. that would have givin me the excuse to go. On weekends they seem to turn off the chat off UCAN til monday morning, I know that Salt lake and surrounding Areas cant be that quiet, Maybe you wish it was at times maybe you dont. hehe.

bchris

UC19 - Teat Peak

I drove past Teat Peak on Saturday, with the same results as Junior1970. I did have UT running and the screenshots are attached. I dont know why there are no audio channels shown. Does anyone else know? At this point I was just reading the CC, without regard to whether or not my scanner can actually tune to each frequency, right?

On the bottom of the first screen it shows an alias of TEAT. I did not enter that - it must have been read from the data stream. I had never noticed data in that field before, but I had never used this new release of UT either. This will be nice to verify our names with the site names used by the UCAN techs.

I also drove past Levan, Gunnison, Barton Pk, and Mt Baldy. I did not Rx anything, new band or old, from Levan. I wondered if they were working on it right then. Gunnison and Barton were unchanged and still using the old freqs. Baldy was still quiet, as before.

Last edited:

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I tried to upgrade to the new unitrunker but i couldnt understand it. it didnt seem anything like the old one at all. so i switched back. any help or ideas? i think i had the alpha version.

bchris

new UT install

Enos,

For me this was a new install on a laptop computer. I wanted to be able to check on some of these remote systems that I cant Rx at my house. Coincidentally there was a new UT version, so I just used it.

1. Downloaded new version.

2. Unzipped. It created a UT folder inside my download folder.
I could not see anything that looked like an install program, so I moved the whole UT folder to the 'Program Files' folder and set up a shortcut to run the exe from there.

3. Ran the Exe. It just brought up a window with one line saying 'system' or 'signal' or some generic name. When I double clicked that line, it brought up a new window that let me define the settings for the radio and system I want to monitor. This screen looked very similar to the previous version. I chose the settings that I had found previously by trial and error, then changed the line that said 'stopped' to 'running'.

4. I had to mess with my sound card settings for a while, but then it started working. I also needed to use the readme file and/or the help links that came with the download. They were helpful.

I do like the 'look and feel' of this new version, but I have not used the old or the new enough to give a good comparison. Both new and old versions crash when I try to exit, and remember they are even on different computers. It seems to have something to do with the order in which I close each window. Given it's cost and no alternatives and otherwise it works great, I am very grateful and won't complain a bit.

Good Luck. I know you will have it up and running soon.

kf7yn

7202 St George data channel is now 852.6625 so that means rebanding has taken place here too. I just got a new PSR-500 so I'll see what I can figure out.

Junior1970

7202 St George data channel is now 852.6625 so that means rebanding has taken place here too. I just got a new PSR-500 so I'll see what I can figure out.

Jon, I just got an e-mail from GRE stating that the 500/600 radios are already set up to track the rebanded freqs. On your 500 did you have to do anything different other than turn it on and program it or was their more involved.

DonS

Jon, I just got an e-mail from GRE stating that the 500/600 radios are already set up to track the rebanded freqs. On your 500 did you have to do anything different other than turn it on and program it or was their more involved.

In the PSR-500/600, you have to set the TSYS object to use "custom tables", then enter the table itself.

This thread in the GRE forum (especially post #7 in that thread) has a bit of info.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
With Re-banding here, I've sent away for a GRE-500. I wanted the portability of the handheld. I also ordered/downloaded the ARC-500 software. I've used ARC in the past and like their products. HOWEVER,,, I've been chatting with Brent and he reminded me of Win500. I did some research and I think it would be better for this area than the ARC version.
Any thoughts from anyone on this??

Status
Not open for further replies.