UCAN Rockville & Little Crick

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Southern Utah folk watch for UCAN work on putting up Rockville and Little Crick (Creek?) this week!
W

n7jei

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Rockville is east of Toquerville up the Virgin River towards Zion NP.

Hooligan

Thanks to tips over the past couple days from several of you, yesterday as I was making my weekly venture to Kanab (I volunteer at the Best Friends Animal Society) I tried using Close Call as well as searching 800 while on Hwy 89 S of Hurricane.

Little Creek was on the air, using 851.7875 as the data channel. I think it's still in testing mode, as it was not simulcasting any of the traffic on the other UCAN local UCAN sites.

I don't know why they're calling the site "Little Creek" instead of Apple Valley, which is the better known name for the area. I haven't looked up the coords from the FCC database, but I am assuming the site is on a ridgeline just W of Hwy 89 mile marker 13. Per Close Call hits, that same location is probably the tx site for FM broadcaster 107.3MHz, the NPS Zion 172.6125 repeater, 152.090/192.8 pager, 152.285/218.1 Zion National Park shuttle bus repeater, 155.295/192.8 Smithsonian/Apple Valley Fire Protection District repeater.

To get to my destination I cut through Cane Beds Arizona, but on the way home yesterday I took the usual route through Fredonia AZ up AZ Hwy 389 & monitored the data channel on my Uniden 996XT hooked up to a fender-mounted Austin Spectra antenna. The data channel signal was weak-readable at Pipe Spring, Arizona -- but a Motorola MTS 800MHz radio & dedicated 800MHz antenna (though the public safety fools in my county mostly use unity "gain" antennas) probably would have had a useable signal.

At about 10 miles S of the Utah/Arizona border the signal was good/readable for me.

I have yet to run the monitoring/diagnostic software on this data channel, but I believe it's site 5.

I will check on Rockville perhaps this weekend to hear if it's up yet & if so, will run diagnostics on it too, but it seems like the UCAN engineers let the sites run on their own for a while before they let other radios affiliate with them so I'm not in a hurry to run diagnostics & publish the results.

As I was driving home on AZ-389 (which turns into Utah Hwy 89) it dawned on me what a magnificent LMR site the 10,000' peak of the Pine View Mountains would be. Using it in conjunction with some antenna downtilt (& sufficient channel pairs), that one site probably could have rendered at least 3 or 4 other UCAN sites obsolete.

It's sad to see that my Washington County Misc. Radio info thread has disappeared, so I guess I'll use this thread to remind everyone that the Sand Hollow Marathon is tomorrow. There will be amateur radio support, but more interesting to me will be whether or not any UCAN TGs are dedicated to public safety support for the event.

ronchaffin

Premium Subscriber
Little Creek

Here's what I have so far.
[Zone 5]
Alias = "LTLCRK"
Connect Tone = 138.46
Neighbour = 1 SMLCST
Neighbour = 2 TOQRV
Neighbour = 3 UTHILL
851.7875 PCC
851.4125 ACC
860.7625 was the frequency assigned for communications.

If your in Hurricane you can start picking up Little Creek right about Ted and Allens. Nothing here in La Verkin.
I did see some radio affiliations, UHP, UCAN Engineers and a couple of Hurricane units.
License status is still pending. I haven't heard the UCAN guys mention Rockville at all although there is a license pending.

ronchaffin

Premium Subscriber
Talk Groups

For comparision with others and/or change consideration.

I have heard UHP units refer to talk group 49664 as Cedar North and talk group 49696 as Cedar South. I first heard this during the La Verkin pursuit and standoff in February. They rarely make reference to their channel but on the occasions they have since February this is the only way they have referred to these talk groups.

St. George PD - These have been 100% consistant the past few months.

Channel 1 49856
Channel 2 49888 (DB shows 4)
Channel 3 49920
Channel 4 49952

Junior1970

I have heard UHP units refer to talk group 49664 as Cedar North and talk group 49696 as Cedar South. I first heard this during the La Verkin pursuit and standoff in February. They rarely make reference to their channel but on the occasions they have since February this is the only way they have referred to these talk groups.

This sounds simular to up North. There are UHP Salt Lake North (Salt Lake County ) and UHP Salt Lake South (Utah County). Now with a Richfield area UHP TG showing up it's now starting to make some sense how they are laying out the TGs.

When I returned from my last trip to the St. George area in January I noticed the South TG showing up on Windy which I thought was odd. Heard nothing on Gillies near Beaver but got UHP SL South traffic on Cedar Mtn (Millard). I'll be down that way next weekend for the Hurrikunn (sic) rod run and I plan a trip out to Springdale anyway (fishing for Rockville may be a plus if someone doesn't beat me to it)

FWIW: There is a license pending for Rockville and Little Creek on the FCC website.......

Hooligan

The channel label I've been using for UCAN 49664 is UHP Cedar - Windy, and I call 49696 UHP Cedar - Virgin. Some traffic is simulcast, some is not.

As for St George PD, their UCAN channel 2 (PD car/car & Animal Control primary) is linked to their VHF channel 4 repeater.

Tim

St. George PD - These have been 100% consistant the past few months.

Channel 1 49856
Channel 2 49888 (DB shows 4)
Channel 3 49920
Channel 4 49952

Hooligan

Local scanner-geek operative Ron Chaffin & I recently paid a visit to the UCAN Rockville site, as part of our ongoing Washington County Critical LMR Infrastructure tour:

Attachments

• UCAN Rockville.jpg
    UCAN Rockville.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 272

bchris

Very nice work, Hooligan and Ron Chaffin. Thanks!

Which antennas do you think are UCAN? Do you think they would ever use Yagi's, or only Omni's and microwave?

There must be getting to be more TG's in the county - Any you can share?

If you guys go to Utah Hill, please be careful !! 4WD is a must, and ATV's would be even better. The view is amazing, but not worth dying for. I am in St George right now w/ 1 ATV in my truck. It is made for 2 people. I can bring a 2nd one next time on a trailer, if you guys would ride with me. I would love the company and the ride, and would be glad to do it. I would also like to go to the Toquerville site sometime - never been.

--bc

Last edited:

Junior1970

Is Rockville on the air yet? Last time I was down that way over Easter it was not but you could see the site from the Rockville Bridge in town and from Hwy 9.

I also second that of bchris on talkgroups....are there any new ones?

Hooligan

I believe the UCAN antennas are the omnis at the top, and the MW dish which I believe it pointing to Grapevine.
Rockville has been on the air for a couple weeks now.

Brent, I can show you the Toquerville site sometime, and Ron & I are definitely intending to do Utah Hill. I've heard it's a fairly treacherous route, so when I do it I'll take my motorcycle, like I did with Toquerville Hill. Ideally it'd be nice/safer to do the trek with a couple people, so we could coordinate it via PM.

Not necessarily a lot of new TGs in Washington County, but a lot of the public safety agencies who've had their VHF comms simulcast onto UCAN TGs are now transceiving on directly on UCAN with the VHF links still up.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.