UCAN SmartNet II Priority Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
While researching this topic - Type II Priority Monitor - I cannot find any information pertaining to the UCAN Talkgroups on RR or on google.

If Priority Monitor is enabled on the system then tgid's will be calculated on groups of 32, if off calculation will be in groups of 16.

It appears most of the tgid's in the master list for UCAN seem to conform to groupings of 32 but there are some which don't conform to groups of 32 when applying the "ID+0" through "ID+15" Status Bit formula........

Moreover, there is a way to change "fleetmap" assignments in some scanners which changes the way they receive this information......

Can anyone enlighten those of us in the dark?

Paul

N7YUO

This is the first time I have ever heard of Type II Priority Monitor.

Even if a status bit is added to a TG, the basic TG remains the same.
Since I have monitored UCAN from it's beginning, all of the valid TGs have been divisible by 32.
The 406 Mhz Motorola trunked systems here in Utah have groups divisible by 16.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
SmartNet II

This came from wikipedia and our own RR wiki......

Motorola Type II talkgroups appear on a scanner as an even number without a hyphen, ranging from 16 to 65504 in increments of 16 or 32 (depending on whether the system uses Priority Monitor or not). Talkgroups on systems using Priority Monitor will display as 16, 48, 80, 112 and so on; on systems where Priority Monitor is not used, talkgroups display as 16, 32, 48, 64, 80 and so on.

Motorola Type II - The RadioReference Wiki

This is where the confusion is coming in.....when downloading the RR DB for UCAN the first TGID os 96 which is not divisible by 32 if your start at "16"......as the example states 16, 48, 80, 112, ..... The second TGID is 224, again not a multiple of 32 when starting at 16 and adding 32 as the example states......

If the UCAN uses the "Priority Bit" it essentially cuts the number of tgid's available by half (or this may be me trying to do complex math again!!) and the lack of PB would double the amount of available tgid's. What I was basically trying to figure out is how many more tgid's can they squeeze in the spaces not currently in use.....

Paul

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Not many systems use Priority Monitor at all.

Because of the way the talkgroup info is sent over the voice channel using low speed data, the radio can't distnguish between the talkgroup and the next sequential talkgroup.

The bit which is used for the next sequential talkgroup is not sent.

The low speed data cannot be used distinguish between talkgroup 1 and 2 so systems with Priority Monitor wouldn't use talkgroup 2.

That's why they must be every other talkgroup and not sequential.

Status bits have nothing to do with it as a real system radio ignores them when determining the talkgroup.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm that UCAN radios have a priority scanning feature. You can set the radio to scan multiple TGs and if a TG is active and the priority TG goes active the radio switches to the priority TG mid transmission. This is done by the radio continually receiving sub-audible data when receiving transmissions on the various TGs.

GRE scanners have the ability (based on the manual) of following this sub-audible data, but I have yet to get it to work on mine.

kf7yn

Yes the Pro-197 has this capability, see Page 74 in the manual under Advanced Settings "TGRP Priority Scan". If you use Win500, just check the Priority box.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
So if I understand this right.....In order for the "priority" function to work on our scanners it is absolutely necessary for the "priority monitor" function to be enabled on the UCAN side with their SmartNet II system??

I was really more looking for clarification dealing with the ID0+16 or the ID0+32 for console patches and status bits.....

In looking at the latest UniTrunker logs it shows 3 distinct patches running mos of the time .....

Patch one Source ID 256 / Source = Unified Police Oquirrh Division (West) - Target ID 352 / Target=Unified Police Request 1 (Svc lists as a MS or MulitSelect Patch)

Patch two Source ID 9408 / Source=Davis County Law 2 - Target ID 9440 / Target=Davis County Law 2/UHP (Svc lists as an XP or Crosspatch Analog)

Patch three Source ID 21280 / Source=Valley Emergency Comm. Center EMS/Fire 3 - Target ID 21312 / Target=Valley Emergency Comm. Center EMS/Fire 4 (Svc lists as a MS or MultiSelect)

This is not at all what the Status Bits should reflect for any patch on a SmartNet II System with Priority ENABLED and decimal status bits in the Dec ID + # Format as is shown here:

Motorola Type II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paul

kf7yn

Looks like we are talking about different things. If I follow what you are saying, your patches are not showing status bits. Are they enabled or ignored?

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
ummmm.......**Scratching head** ......must have gone right over and I didn't see it coming....

In other words I don't have any idea what the question is about Jon.....

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.