UCAN TG 96 NOAA Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
I always keep this TG in the scanner up here in Logan and have never heard - even when driving around the SLC area. This AM it showed up with re-transmitted Wx from the NOAA 162.xx feed for a few minutes.
How does this "receive only" TG work?
Is this an example of some UCAN user in Cache deciding to listen to it on his/her radio and by doing do allowing it to be received on a scanner, since there is not a transmit portion to be keyed up?

W

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
In some of the UCAN radios, this TG is programed in as one of the channels. I have seen it on several and it has been the last channel in a one of the zones.

When the radio gets set to that channel, it affiliates on that site with this TG and the site automatically starts carrying that traffic. So if you were hearing it, most likely this means a system user was also listening to it on that same site.

Utah_Viper

My thoughts is maybe the system is able to decode the SAME codes so it triggers when there is a active warning? In this way it would function much like a weather alert radio that is quiet until needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.