Ughh! PRO668, why do you hate me?...Waiting for USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

ok so have had a stock PRO668 since 2015. have not upgraded OR updated anything on it at all as far as i can remember. only used the stock editing software once or twice to shuffle some files and the last time i did that was at least two years ago.

Why? my interests fall into the MilCom and Misc areas and so have little reason to do otherwise. things are reaaaal quite, and havent even had it on in a day or two, so i decided it was a good time to take out the card and make a copy of it, including 2-3 years of audio etc this morning. as far as i know the card is nowhere near full.

like a moron, and with no justification i decided i would cut the scanner on/off first, then remove the card and copy etc. as i sat down i casually and without looking pressed and held the power button like normal, maybe... cause now the screen is on and says:

uP BootVer:RF1.1
uP App Ver:RF2.3

CPU SW Upgrade:
Waiting for USB

there is nothing, no cables etc hooked to it and it is unresponsive. i don't want to do anything other than get back to normal. when i take out the batteries, is that going to be what happens or is there a different procedure that i need to follow?

Thanks alot folks!

btw i have spent an hour on here reading the relevant threads and am still unclear, so i have done my due diligence.

ScubaJungle

I have no idea, but I found this ^

I would guess your only way to fix to would be to force update the firmware

spacellamaman

ok so i have approx 4 more hours before the batts die.

so do ya'll think:

1. is it better to wait til the batts die, remove them, and then start messing around with it?

2. or is it better to just go ahead and take them out now?

it seems more likely that option 1. will be less likely to create more potential probs than 2. but i obviously am out of my depth here.

suggestions?

spacellamaman

well interesting note its still on with the screen lit over 24hrs later. same batts, in scanning mode or simply sitting in menu mode without screen lit never gets more than 12hrs before the batts die. that certainly is informative, tho not terribly helpful here.

tvengr

Well Known Member
well interesting note its still on with the screen lit over 24hrs later. same batts, in scanning mode or simply sitting in menu mode without screen lit never gets more than 12hrs before the batts die. that certainly is informative, tho not terribly helpful here.
Go back to post #5 and run the updater. That should fix the problem. Once you save the zipped file to your computer, extract it. Attach your computer to the scanner with the programming cable and run the extracted updater program.

Last edited:

spacellamaman

i feel like i accidentally wandered into an apple-store to get my PC repaired...

Connect your scanner to your computer and run the updater. PRO668Updater_2.4.0.325.exe
Why don't you just plug it into the computer and start the programming software and see what happens
Yep, that should fix it right up.
Go back to post #5 and run the updater. That should fix the problem. Once you save the zipped file to your computer, extract it. Attach your computer to the scanner with the programming cable and run the extracted updater program.

while owning this scanner for five years has yet make me want to run an update/updater file on it ( see post uno), i certainly know where to get a highly recommended one.

i would swear a kickback must factor in here, tho since its free i guess not.

rooskietrojanware?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
You can let the batteries die, install fresh batteries, power cycle the thing a thousand times, smack it with a hammer etc.
None of that will fix the problem you have.

Reloading the CPU firmware through the software in post # 5 is the 'only' way to fix this. It's painless and your programming should still be intact.

spacellamaman

all right boys.....

I saved the updater from Radio Shack before they folded. It has repaired other 668's with your problem. I guess you just don't want to fix your scanner. Good Luck!
You can let the batteries die, install fresh batteries, power cycle the thing a thousand times, smack it with a hammer etc.
None of that will fix the problem you have.

Reloading the CPU firmware through the software in post # 5 is the 'only' way to fix this. It's painless and your programming should still be intact.

i know when i have been whooped and when i haven't. lemme explain current status and then see if you can help.

i originally posted mainly hoping for moral support as to the viability of what i had generally planned to do (let batts die, power back up) and/or to see if anyone could confirm what i did to get to that screen (presumably hit power and menu at the same time).

i figured if i let the batts die instead of jerking em out, there would be less chance of any sort of "hard shutdown/restart" caused data corruption etc because presumably the scanner would take care of that as batts reached dead.

since i had not hooked up any sort of data/power cables when this happened, i had yet to start any sort of process. odds were good, or so i thought, that if i made sure to leave the batteries out for a while, preferably a good while longer than is needed for the internal clock to be reset, then i would blank out any chance of being in the same place when restarting. i took out the microSD too, just for good measure, tho with somewhat iffy rationale.

so interestingly it stayed on that screen, backlit, for nearly 30 hours. so i took out the batts/SD round 12:00noon yesterday (4/23/20) and approx 10:00AM today (4/24/20) i popped in 4 freshly charged batts.

Put the microSD back in,

did a squinty-eyed grimmace

took a puffed-out-cheeks-deep-breath

and.......

it started right up. Like normal. As if nothing had ever happened.

Thanks again for the help!

:cool:

Last edited:

CycleSycho

:( So, all the help, complaints, and just an explanation in the form of another complaint? It just is sooooo hard for someone to ask kindly, and when help is given and then just again complained about, acknowledges a mea-culpa in a long drawn out self-solve of the problem with no apology? Jeeeze no wonder people who try to help gets frustrated... :(

spacellamaman

:( So, all the help, complaints, and just an explanation in the form of another complaint? It just is sooooo hard for someone to ask kindly, and when help is given and then just again complained about, acknowledges a mea-culpa in a long drawn out self-solve of the problem with no apology? Jeeeze no wonder people who try to help gets frustrated... :(

unnnn-huhhhhnnn

reading and then re-reading that, a few times now....i guess i can presume that

Deleted, file too large!

means you were going to have me run the updater as well?

CycleSycho

:) Yes, since it was earlier suggested AND I had a later updater, thought it would help. It definitely wouldn't have hurt and there was a way to not delete all your history :)

spacellamaman

nothing was deleted. it started back up as if nothing happened at all.

which is what happened.

i do appreciate that you and everyone else were trying to help, but i would have prefered someone actually address the question(s) i had. considering the absolute conviction of most respondents regarding what must be done, not to mention rather patronizing addendum's thrown in for good measure, i have to wonder if anyone even got around to reading the sentences that ended with a ?

i wish this was an aberration, but its not. i always hesitate to pose any sort of question on here because of it, but dagnabbit, the specialized knowledge and the people who have it, are hard to find and even harder to squeeze it out of. and they only hang out here!

its all Blantons fault.

the zuckerburg of scanner media

CycleSycho

:) Ha! Some ppl just cannot get past the old safe fallback, passive aggression.... Forums are a search for information. A well prosed question still gets left up to interpretation. Sometimes the message gets lost in the 'translation'. Then again some would fall back on to the old saying... You get what you pay for..... :)

:( Then there are the 'trolls'..... :(

:) Done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.