• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UHF Antenna Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASAD

Hi Folks,

I'm in need of a UHF base vertical antenna that covers around 415 MHz or 455 MHz. Gain should be 5+ dB. I was wondering what antennas do public safety agencies use. Any idea would be appreciated.

I came across Antenex @ FG4505 Antenex Laird UHF Fiberglass Omnidirectional Antenna but the thing is that these antennas don't have ground plane. Is that going to be a problem?

Asad

n5ims

Those are a J-Pole design and don't need a ground plane since the design includes a counterpoise as part of the antenna. One thing though, $200 is quite a bit for a simple J-Pole antenna, folks are building them for only a few bucks if you read their posts on the forums.

prcguy

A J-pole is 0dBd gain (if made and tuned properly) and the antenna in the link says its 4.5dBd gain, so its probably a multi element collinear. Its also about 6ft long, which is about right for a UHF antenna with that much gain.
prcguy

Those are a J-Pole design and don't need a ground plane since the design includes a counterpoise as part of the antenna. One thing though, $200 is quite a bit for a simple J-Pole antenna, folks are building them for only a few bucks if you read their posts on the forums.

maxkelley

The FG4505 will do just fine for you, but it is a fiberglass antenna, and over time, they can crack and water can seep into them, turning them into excellent air-cooled dummy loads (and consequently, horrible antennas.) If you really want a public-safety grade antenna, I would recommend a Telewave folded dipole array (or single dipoles). They're expensive, but they will last forever and perform excellently.

By all means, stay away from the Tram crap... we just recently took down two Tram verticals from a customer's tower that had both crapped out, causing absolutely horrible performance. We replaced them with two single Telewave dipoles and the customer is talking better and further than they could ever remember.

stevelton

I am still patial to the Andrews DB408 and DB416. Yes, I know and have dealt with the harness failure, but with taking a few steps before installation, they work great! And a few dollars cheaper than the Telewaves.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

ASAD said:

For a base that is going to last... No... 2 piece design will generate crackling noise in the receiver over time in windy conditions and has a higher risk of water ingress. If you want to use fibreglass get a one piece antenna, or go with folded dipole loops. Sinclair Radio Labs, Bluewave, DB Products, or Telewave are THE base antenna companies. NCG antennas are what I would call 'ham crap' antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.