• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UHF Astro Saber 3 scanning problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bar422

I'm having a problem with a UHF Astro Saber 3 while it's scanning. The problem is that it doesn't stop on several of the frequencies in the scan list. All of the repeaters are easily in range and all my other radios work just fine. I have tried making a fixed scan list in the programming but that didn't work either. When I stop the scan and turn to each channel they work fine and get into the repeaters with no problem,but when you turn on the scan most of them are gone again. I am pretty sure this problem is in the programming but I'm not sure where to look. Any help would be appreciated.--Thanks!

immelmen

is this scanning trunking tralkgroups or conventional personalities? CPS assigns scan list to personalities, so while all channels/talkgroups in a trunking personality automatically get the same scan list, it must be assigned individually to each conventional channel in a zone to work.(I assume you knew that, just making sure)

also, any kind of programmable scan list, including nuisance delete is reset to its original state every time you turn on/off the scan OR change channels/zones

what kind of scan list is it? conventional/talkgroup/dynamic priority? the last one can get interesting with sample rates, and if your scanning conventional and trunking on the same list, all this adds to making the radio a slow scanner, and missing traffic.

Last edited:

bar422

This is a conventional setup. The priority is set at operator selectable with priority given to the channel in the display. I do have one setting where it scans a particular channel all the time and it cannot be deleted.I talked to Motorola this morning and it doesn't sound like they even know. We looked at several settings in the CPS and only found a few things that were a bit different but nothing that would effect scanning according to them. They also said they didn't think lowereing the squelch level anymore would make any difference. Is there a way to change the scan rate?--Thanks!

immelmen

on the scann config page, what is the time between priority samples set to? when priority is sampled the radio mutes.

here is what I would try:

Create a bare bones simple Conventional scannlist(non-priority) and disable/uncheck all the priority options boxes. make it a fixed members list in the dropdown, and select Talkback. assign that list to the first conventional personality of the scann list.

on the Scann config page on first tab, uncheck Hub suspend scan and priority scann alert. on conventional tab uncheck all boxes such as priority channel marking and carrier detect(these are the most complicated part of a priority scan...read up on the Help section in CPS on these). (also, priority sample rate should not matter now.)

test it and see how it works. if it doesnt solve the problem then you can rule out priority sampling/marking as the issue and start looking at other possibilities. I have always had success with the most simple scan lists.

also, how busy are the repeaters? are they HAM? the UHF machines near me are dead most the time anyway

Last edited:

bar422

I have tried the fixed list and taking off the priorities and so far nothing has worked. I am thinking about just making a new file and trying that. I also have a friend who has the same radio with the same flash and model number and was going to try his file in my radio and see if that works (or my file in his radio).
I was looking at the CPS software and I am unable to find a way to make a new file. I would appreciate it if you could tell me where that is located,I'm new to the CPS stuff. --Thanks!

immelmen

you cannot create a new codeplug in cps, you have to have something to start from. The closest you could get would be to take a plug you already have and delete everything except one personality in each directory. Or if you ever send a radio to the depo, read it and save it upon return and that will be as blank as you can get.

If your friend has the identical radio (model AND flash) then swaping codeplugs would be a great test.

If you want to email me the plug, I could take a look at it and see if i catch anything, or have your friend do the same/compare to his good plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.