UHF Band Scanning Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

CattyShack

I would like to scan only the 10 national UHF medical frequencies and I don't want to get in trouble by buying an actual UHF band transceiver. All the scanners made now seem to be multiband. The Unication UHF G series scanning pagers cost a fortune, ouch. Does any body have any recommendations that would work for me?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The 10 national UHF Med channels are standard analog FM in nearly every location in the U.S. Unless you know your area to be an exception (digital) then a relatively inexpensive scanner will work fine. Since you mentioned a scanning pager can we assume you want something handheld portable rather than an installed mobile or base radio? If so, look at the Uniden BC125AT or Whistler WS1010. Either can be programmed to handle the MED channels.

CattyShack

I am looking for mobile and portable types. I don't know of any UHF medcom frequencies using digital mode. The Unication 400 Mhz G4 looks perfect but expensive. Thanks for the help.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
The Unication G4 is Not 400mhz. Its 700/800mhz.
The G2 is single band and The G3 is dual band VHF/UHF (going of memory here so if im wrong someone chime in and fix my mistakes)
The G5 is also dual band but its primary band is locked to 700/800mhz and the secondary band comes in different options of vhf and uhf.
So for what your wanting a G2 would work.
But as others have mentioned plenty of scanners out there that will be way cheaper and do the job just as well.
Heck since your only wanting to monitor 10 channels you could go with a cheap chinese radio like Wouxun or Baofeng. Im not a fan of them but they will do nicely on UHF.

brndnstffrd

I don't usually recommend Chinese radios, but the WLN C1 or Retevis RT22 would work for this and runs about $20. They are essentially the same radio. They are UHF 16 channel radios, and are very small in size. Program the channels as receive only and go for it. They are also fairly durable. The con is that they don't have a screen so you will not see the channel selected if you manually select one of the channels.

To solve this, there is a variant with a small segmented display, the C1 Plus or the RT22s for a few dollars more. The RT22s is claimed to also have 22 channel capacity, I am not sure if the C1 Plus also does.

Again I want to emphasize make sure it is programmed for RECEIVE ONLY.

hill

Premium Subscriber
If it were me would just try to find some older low cost used scanners for sale. As has been already pointed out any basic scanner will work for this task.

After all this crazyness ends with the virus and stay at home orders would just look in any of the your local thrift stores for used scanners. As I sit here typing this reply right next to me is an old Regency R1070 purchased from the local thrift store and it still has the $8.99 price tag on it. I can't pass up any old scanner or other type of shortwave radios that look to be in good shape at fair price. Even if really don't have a use at the time can always find something to use the radios for to keep the modern digital ones working on the new systems. Plus a lot older are cool looking and remind us of the days when
using a scanner was much easier.

Also garage sales, flea market, hamfests, or yard sales are good for finding older radio equipment.

In closing many older 10,16 or 20 channel scanner being sold cheap in both hand held or mobile. Many in $20-30 range in cost.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Even a scratch and dent WS1010 (when I bought one it was in excellent condition, runs $50

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I actually have a bunch o' Baofengs that I do use to scan Miami-Fort Lauderdale MEDCOM channels occasionally, so I don't tie up my trunking scanners with conventional channels. I have Baofeng UV-5R in the box mint, minimally used with all accessories, and I'll program it for you for $35 shipped USPS 2 Day Priority. PM Me.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Status
Not open for further replies.