UHF connector to sheetmetal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainetrunk

Hi guys, I am playing with HF feqs and what not, I picked up this UHF connector 10 UHF Female Jack SO239 Panel Chassis Mount Connectors | eBay for experiments. My question is -- if I have a 10 inch by 18 inch sheet metal piece, if I drill all 5 holes, and attatch the UHF connctor to the sheet metal-- would there be loss? Is stainless better? I would have the bolts going thru the sheet metal going to connector and bolted WITH stainless washers and nuts to hold it together.. Also, what do I do with the BACK side of the connector? Front hast the threads, back is that littile nub.Is that the ground? . I intend to put the sheet metal screwed to a wooden post while I run wires off the bolts, ALOT of wire, 4 holes, 4 wires.. Thanks, Ron.... This new Alinco is too much.....

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The center pin (nub) is the center of the coax, ground goes to the metal via a bolt holding the bulkhead mount in.

Yes, I'd use stainless, may last longer.. Also give a thought to water proofing.

mainetrunk

4 ground holes? This is a temporary TUNING station. How do i put wires on that center pin? Too many? No, just different fields... Thanks

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
No. 4 mounting holes. You only need 1 ground per coax.

Solder the center of the coax to the center pin of the connector. Connect the shield (braid) to a bolt.. I'd use an eyelet that's been both crimped and soldered to the braid.

RX only or TX.. SOLDER

Also, I'd keep the soldered side away from the weather..

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Another happy RR customer. Glad I could help. Happy listening.

No bits were harmed in the posting of this message.

Status
Not open for further replies.