• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UHF Repeater HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQOC472

Hello all,

I have a cheapy UHF Repeater i bought off eBay, The repeater is a Motorola SM50 on TX inerfaced to a P110 on RX, its putting out about 30W, with a cellwave duplexer fed into LDF4-50A 1/2" Heilax, with a 5db Tram/Browning BR-6155 as the antenna.

Here is the issue:

I have a Kenwood TK-8180 30W mobile, as well as a Motorola Spectra 45W mobile, with identical High Gain antennas mounted in my vehicle. I also have a Kenwood TK-3180 handheld.

When i key up the repeater (less than 1 mile from the repeater location) on either of the Mobiles all i get is static, but when i key up with my 4W handheld from the same location, it sounds great with no static and good clean audio.

What is happening here? Are my mobiles bad? Or is the repeater just a piece of crap?

I am just using this repeater until my Vertex VXR-7000 comes in sometime next week.

Thanks again for the help,

SCPD

QRT
If you are keying the repeater with one mobile and listening on the other or on your hand-held, your high power mobile is desensing the receiver of the radio you are listening on.

WQOC472

So in all reaility the mobiles are transmitting just fine? I was doing some tests by my self today, and wasn't able to test with anyone else from a good distance away.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
I am not an expert by any means but going with the above post, I would turn one of the mobiles off and test with your 3180 and the other mobile.

WQOC472

How can i overcome this? When i use the same radios on my local Police Dept, repeater, i key up on my mobile and i have my handheld on sitting in the car with my, it receives just fine.

How can i overcome this with my repeater?

SCPD

QRT
Yes, the high power of the mobile is "killing" your receiver where as the 4 watt HT doesn't bother it so much.

WQOC472

I am not an expert by any means but going with the above post, I would turn one of the mobiles off and test with your 3180 and the other mobile.

That is what i was doing, I had my 3180 receiving and i was transmitting with my 8180 and all i got was static, and likewise with the spectra and the 3180 as well with the same result.

SCPD

QRT
I don't know what to tell you on how how to fix it. But the reason the you don't have the same problem on the PD repeater is probably because the have a much higher ERP on their repeater.

WQOC472

That makes sence, Like i said in my previous post i am using this repeater for a few days until my VXR-7000 gets in. I was doing some calculations and my ERP on the this unit is around 58 ERP. But with my VXR-7000 i should be getting around 96 ERP.

SCPD

QRT
Then again I could be wrong. Arkansas City PD is only licensed for 50 watts TX power. But they probably have less duplexer and feedline loss, and with a Stationmaster or DB408 or something more antenna gain.

Last edited:

WQOC472

Do you recommend I get a higher gain antenna when I start using the VXR-7000? I believe the PD uses a DB408 with LDF4-50A

Currently my antenna is up aprox. 40ft on a tower.

SCPD

QRT
I'm partial to DB408s mainly because you can put one up and forget about it for 20 years, handy when it's 200 feet up. And they seem to work better than the Stationmaster type in our mountainous terrain. But where you are something else may work better.

Last edited:

LtDoc

I think I would check into how you have the mode, 'tones' and the frequencies set before jumping into new antennas etc. Your transmitting/receiving frequencies should be far enough apart that desensing shouldn't be that much of a problem.
If a signal isn't "keying" or "hitting" a repeater 'solidly' then it certainly can result in what you are experiencing. What would cause the repeater to not be hearing your signals 'solid' enough to turn on and work correctly? Signal strength is certainly one of the things affecting that, but probably not the most common 'mistake' or 'problem'. Check the things that are easy to check, then throw money at it.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

WQOC472

Just FYI: The repeater is operating on RX:462.6000 (D025N) / TX: 467.6000 (D125N)

When my new VXR-7000 comes in i will be operating on 462.6000 (167.9) /467.6000 (167.9)

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Back to the original question. You are definitely experiencing desense. That is when a strong off channel signal gets into your receiver and causes it to reduce its overall sensitivity thus making it harder to hear the intended on-channel signal.

You state that transmit from the portable to the mobile is clean. That means that there is no or little desense to cause a problem receiving the repeater. Now in reverse it sounds like the high power mobile transmit is causing enough desense to the portable that it is getting harder to hear the repeater.

The ability to overcome desense involves the selectivity (reject off channel signals) of the receiver, the amount of off channel signal getting to your receiver, and the signal strength of the intended on channel transmission (to overcome any desense present).

The difference between the GMRS repeater and the PD repeater is simply a better signal to your receiver to the point that desense is not a factor.

fineshot1

Just FYI: The repeater is operating on RX:462.6000 (D025N) / TX: 467.6000 (D125N)

When my new VXR-7000 comes in i will be operating on 462.6000 (167.9) /467.6000 (167.9)

If your repeater is rx'ing on 462 and tx'ing on 467 then you have it reverse of the norm
or did you make a mistake typing that out? That would be the norm for a portable or
mobile.

WQOC472

My handheld's and Mobiles are RX on 462 and TX on 467. The repeater is opposite RX on 467 and TX on 462.

WQOC472

ok - that's what i thought. just wanted you to realize your error in your post
cause if it was not an error that could cause problems for you and others
on that freq pair.

Thanks for seeing that, i did put it in wrong. My mistake...

Status
Not open for further replies.