(UHF SATCOM - MUOS) Marines give the first reaction to new satellite terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooligan

The Marine Corps became the first service to field test a next-generation narrowband satellite communication system and so far they like what they see.

Developed for the Navy by Lockheed Martin, the $7 billion Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) consists of four orbiting satellites and an on-orbit spare satellite and four ground stations. MUOS uses the ultra high frequency band to provide faster voice, video and data communications, but there have been significant delays in its attempts to get terminals to work with the new signal...

Read the rest of the article at:
Marines give the first reaction to new satellite terminals

jjbond

Banned
Banned
What matters is what the South American Satcom pirates think of it, they're the ones who seem to use them the most...LOL

Hopefully the find a way to lock down this one a bit better (without having to resort to encryption)

Jen

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
MUOS is different than the "bent-pipe" UHF Satcom Transponders that the pirates are using.

MUOS is based on the WCDMA platform which provides authentication and authorization, as well as end-to-end encryption. The pirates won't be using MUOS any time soon in any way, shape, or form.

Fast1eddie

And back in the day I maintained a ground network of AN/MSC - 64 UHF Satcom terminals. Simply a testament of the construction and dependability of the UHF birds, understand four are still providing comms for the Navy...And our Brazilian friends. Never mind the security clearances I had to maintain.

DeepBlue

We oft times forget how much info can be gained by simply listening to the amount of traffic. Just knowing there is an increase or decrease in traffic, encrypted or not is an indicator of something happening. I like finding out what frequencies official Drones are using just for that reason. Good to know when there is one about I'm thinking.

S.

Status
Not open for further replies.