UHF tv antenna or scanner antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakell

Do you guys think that I might have better reception for UHF frequencies from a tv antenna or a scanner antenna?

Don_Burke

Do you guys think that I might have better reception for UHF frequencies from a tv antenna or a scanner antenna?

The short answer is yes.

The long answer will depend on which scanner antenna, which TV antenna, polarization, and what you are trying to pick up.

Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber

If you turn it sideways...yes. TV is horizontally polarized, mobil radio is vertically polarized.

Obviously....a TV antenna is directional and most scanner antenna's are omnidirectional.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The even longer answer is UHF TV antennas come in many flavors but all in all they make excellent directional UHF scanner antennas when the elements are mounted vertically. I cut the "nose" off a combo antenna, drilled mounting holes in the back end of the boom, slapped it on a rotor and the first phrase that came to mind in my best fake Joisey accent (or maybe Bugs Bunny) was "geez, dis sucka woiks like dem Gangbustahs deah".

Oh don't forget the 300 ohm balanced impedance isn't something a scanner likes very much so just put an ordinary outdoor TV balun and some RG6-U quad shield coax on it. Like Captain Beefheart said; "Tasty lil' sucker!"

Status
Not open for further replies.