UHP VHF Antennas On Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF7OQQ

Premium Subscriber
I just noticed the other day that the UHP have 2 VHF antennas on their cars and one of them is taller than the other one by 4 inches or so(couldn't really tell while going down the freeway but is noticeably taller). So I am wondering why they would have 2 of them and why one would be taller than the other one by so much. I saw another one today the same way don't think it was the same unit but maybe. Any idea? Curiosity has been getting the best of me today :)

I guess I should say I think they are VHF antennas but don't know for sure but they are about the right height to be. They also have their 800 MHz on the trunk with the others in question.

AD7ZW

Been a year or so since i've looked at one up close. The taller one if i rember right is a CB antenna. Look at the coils/base to be sure. VHF & 800 coils are about the same height difference is in the whip type & length. CB coil should stick up above the other two by about the height you saying.

Reed
AD7ZW
Northeastern Utah

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

yaesu_dave

In the Ogden/Weber County area, I've been hearing a lot of UHP car-to-car traffic on 156.2175 in recent months. It seems to be a channel used much like the old UHP channel 3 on 155.745, although the VHF radios are now set up for narrow band.

KF7OQQ

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking the second VHF would be for the State Repeater System but the height difference is what I am puzzled about. Next time I run into one will have to ask them and see what they say maybe even get a look see .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KF7OQQ

Premium Subscriber
I think AD7ZW hit it on the head with the cb. As I was crawling by an accident on the freeway today I had a chance to look closer at the antenna in question and it is as described by AD7ZW. Good call and memory. I just want to hear one of the UHP on the CB jack jawing like a trucker :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Junior1970

I still hear C2C traffic in Utah County on Old Ch 3 155.745.

Also in checking the UCA updates on the FCC website recently all the VHF licenses for the state repeaters on Lake Mountain have all been terminated. this went into effect around the same time as the VHF links for Utah County went silent although they are not licensed by UCA but use repeaters on Lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.