UID Blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
Hello All,

I hope this is the correct forum area for this request. We have some SDS200's and BCD436HP's that we are looking for assistance on. Our area uses a Harris P25 Phase I Simulcast system to dispatch on, therefore using talkgroups and UID's. We have 1 particular UID that keeps leaving the mic keyed up for what could be a couple minutes or several hours at a time. You can hear casual conversation occasionally but other than that, dead silence. Is it possible to block that particular UID from being scanned? I've verified that it is not used for regular dispatching.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
Hello All,

I hope this is the correct forum area for this request. We have some SDS200's and BCD436HP's that we are looking for assistance on. Our area uses a Harris P25 Phase I Simulcast system to dispatch on, therefore using talkgroups and UID's. We have 1 particular UID that keeps leaving the mic keyed up for what could be a couple minutes or several hours at a time. You can hear casual conversation occasionally but other than that, dead silence. Is it possible to block that particular UID from being scanned? I've verified that it is not used for regular dispatching.
A Note to add: This Particular UID is keying up on a regular dispatch Talkgroup.

west-pac

I don't think you can block a specific UID, but you could lockout the talkgroup it's on. Is it on the same talkgroup every time?

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Maybe try to add that UID in where you plug in the talkgroup in than use the drop box for avoid to see if it blocks the uid?

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
I don't think you can block a specific UID, but you could lockout the talkgroup it's on. Is it on the same talkgroup every time?
Yes, the same talkgroup, however this is also the regular dispatch channel as well so we cannot avoid that talkgroup entirely.

Maybe try to add that UID in where you plug in the talkgroup in than use the drop box for avoid to see if it blocks the uid?
I will try that.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
I'm not aware of a way to to just avoid a UID on a TGID
I am not having any luck either. I just got off the phone with Uniden support and they could not find anything right off the bat. They are contacting higher up support to see if it's currently possible and if not, if it could be an added feature later on.

west-pac

Hello All,

You have multiple scanners, avoid the TG on some of them so they'll continue to scan. How does Dispatch dispatch when one of their radios has an open mic? Do you hear traffic on other channels indicating that they know about it?

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
You have multiple scanners, avoid the TG on some of them so they'll continue to scan. How does Dispatch dispatch when one of their radios has an open mic? Do you hear traffic on other channels indicating that they know about it?
Yes we have multiple scanners in this particular application, however only 1 of them is streamed on Broadcastify. On this Talkgroup, we do not hear any other traffic when this UID is active. Oddly enough, some of the other talkgroups will have an open mic and we can hear Dispatch informing them of the open mic on the same talk group.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Oddly enough, some of the other talkgroups will have an open mic and we can hear Dispatch informing them of the open mic on the same talk group.

My local law dispatcher has to do the same thing once in awhile...
Thay have the mic clipped up by there shoulder and depending on movement accidentally key it...

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If it's that big of an open mic issue I suspect it will be resolved by the dispatch center eventually. If you're noticing it then someone with some authority likely is too. Since it's the same ID repeatedly it will be easy enough to track down.

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
If it's that big of an open mic issue I suspect it will be resolved by the dispatch center eventually. If you're noticing it then someone with some authority likely is too. Since it's the same ID repeatedly it will be easy enough to track down.
That's just it though, dispatch is totally aware of it, but no one knows who it is. No one will own up to it. On the dispatch side, it shows up as suburban_fire with a UID of 9988001. I was doing some research on the P25 system but I could not find anything helpful. I reached out directly to Project25 but I have not heard anything back at this time.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
They could just inhibit the radio. If it belongs to a legitimate subscriber they will surely want it turned back on. Which is an easy fix. If they never ask for it to be uninhibited than it likely wasn't someone who should have been on the system. If dispatch doesn't have a record showing at least which department each ID is issued to that's just poor management. It's not like it's an old analog system where anyone can go undected. It's really an easy fix if the people in charge actually cared to fix it.

west-pac

...Or the whole situation is not as described. It's not likely someone would send out a dead carrier for hours, especially with time-out-timer settings.

hitechRadio

"We have 1 particular UID that keeps leaving the mic keyed up for what could be a couple minutes"

That radio should have been bricked a long time ago.
Also, unlike how hams do it,,3 minutes TOT typical.
Public safety TOT at 30~45sec typical.
Sounds like they need to check the codeplugs too.

"...Or the whole situation is not as described. It's not likely someone would send out a dead carrier for hours, especially with time-out-timer settings".

Agree!

shanelynn321

Feed Provider
"We have 1 particular UID that keeps leaving the mic keyed up for what could be a couple minutes"

That radio should have been bricked a long time ago.
Also, unlike how hams do it,,3 minutes TOT typical.
Public safety TOT at 30~45sec typical.
Sounds like they need to check the codeplugs too.

"...Or the whole situation is not as described. It's not likely someone would send out a dead carrier for hours, especially with time-out-timer settings".

Agree!
I can add some recording data if that helps. That particular UID stays keyed up for sometimes minutes to several hours at a time. Here lately it has been simply white noise. If I avoid the talkgroup then it goes away but then I stop hearing the county fire dispatching. I do not know what the dispatch side hears while it is occuring. All I know at this moment from dispatch is that it is a very common occurrence and on their side it shows up as suburban_fire. Per Dispatch, none of the County Houses will own up to it being their radio. Therefore they believe it is someone who isn't supposed to be on there.

Here is the exact transcript:
Me: "You probably cant give me any details for security, but whoever is on county fire channel with uid 9988001 tends to leave the Mic wide open for sometimes long periods of time and sometimes short periods of time"
Me: "I'm sure you know who"
Dispatcher: "I'm actually not working today. County fire actually gets stuck open but not by dispatch, we're not sure where it's coming from but we have to fix it every so often"
Me: "Yeah its weird. Its always the same uid. And every now and then we can hear conversation"
Dispatch: "For us it shows as suburban_fire. None of the county houses will claim its them"
Me: "Sounds like an ongoing investigation"

What's a codeplug for a P25 system? I'm not familiar with that term.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Have you ruled out deliberate? We had a situation that resulted in the arrest of a security guard who used his own equipment to transmit for long periods of time. But he stayed stationary which made triangulation easy. The organization that identified the guy was also able to identify which transmitter was used to cause the interference. (As it was explained to me, each radio has its own unique characteristics, much like fingerprints. Identifying the transmitter is important because just catching the guy is like catching an arsonist... if you don’t catch the arsonist in the act of actually setting a fire, he walks. Same holds true with the guy doing bad things with the radio. But this instance involved a repeaterized analogue system, not a trunked system.

Status
Not open for further replies.