UID not always showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
My 996P2 and 325P2 only capture UID's about 80 % of the the time on two different 800 trunked systems. Im not talking about radios that pop up out of nowhere, it can be the same dispatch or same officer working all day who's radio may or may not show up. I live within a few miles of each system so reception is good. I also monitor a 700 trunked system that does better but skips the UID occasionally. Is this normal? Should I not expect the UID to be captured every time?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
RID/UID reception is imperfect. There is no such thing as 100% RID/UID reception. Uniden offers the following caveats regarding UID reception:

Notes:
--In some cases where you catch a transmission already in progress you will not see the Unit ID.
--In some cases where a second party responds to a transmission before the channel is released, you will not see the second party's Unit ID and will continue to see the first party's Unit ID.

Marshall KE4ZNR

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
RID/UID reception is imperfect. There is no such thing as 100% RID/UID reception. Uniden offers the following caveats regarding UID reception:

Marshall KE4ZNR

So in theory then if you park (hold on a channel) it should capture the UID a higher percent of the time.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Holding on a channel eliminates the first condition ("joining an in-progress transmission"). You'll still be subject to the second condition ("Additional user keying up before voice frequency release").

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
One thing you need to know as well is that analog talkgroups do not carry the user ID in the "voice" traffic/signal (at least, on Motorola trunk systems), while digital talkgroups do. If you join in on an analog conversation late, or even if a conversation ensues without a gap (carrier drop) between the call and answer portions, you're unlikely to see the UID for the second party in the conversation.

EDIT: Sorry for repeating what was already said. I typed all this up and neglected to hit Send until much later.

slicerwizard

So in theory then if you park (hold on a channel) it should capture the UID a higher percent of the time.
You don't hold on trunked channels. At least not if you're trying to capture specific traffic.

BTW, trunked digital voice channels (NXDN/DMR/P25/...) continuously broadcast the unit ID, so a scanner should always pick up the UID while tuned to a call. Yes, I said should, not will.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
You don't hold on trunked channels. At least not if you're trying to capture specific traffic.

BTW, trunked digital voice channels (NXDN/DMR/P25/...) continuously broadcast the unit ID, so a scanner should always pick up the UID while tuned to a call. Yes, I said should, not will.

I hold on a analog trunked channel all the time. There are times when I only want to listen to my local barracks dispatch instead of the hundreds of other channels on the system. BTW, it doesn't always show the UID when holding either like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.