• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ULS geosearch

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlo

Premium Subscriber
Please explain ULS geosearch and how to use it.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I dislike searching the ULS, which has all sorts of exceptions that keep it from giving you the results you want. Sometimes, it just barfs. Other times, it includes lots of stuff you aren't interested in. The FCC hasn't shown any interest in helping ULS to be more useful on the occasions I've tried. I download the raw data and do text/reg-ex searching for some things. There's also RRDB's proximity search here. Someone has recently been posting links to maprad.io, which seems like it has potential to be better.

W0JJK

Here is the link I use. You can search from a certain GPS location, distance from that point and certain frequency or range of frequency's.

I can find everything I am looking for with it.

The best thing is to do different searches to see how it works in each different search option.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Here is a How To I put together using it, the information you are looking for can be modified, but this is an easy to read starting point. Also, here is another one that was posted a while ago using Google earth and the ULS.

Attachments

• How to Create Weekly Grant List For Your State.pdf
    537.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Google Earth FCC Data.pdf
    103.5 KB · Views: 19

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Here is the link I use. You can search from a certain GPS location, distance from that point and certain frequency or range of frequency's.

I can find everything I am looking for with it.

The best thing is to do different searches to see how it works in each different search option.
That report really works much better than ULS search in a number of ways, thanks!.

E.g., if you want to find active licenses for 30-50 MHz on Mt. Wilson (say 1 mi radius of 34 13 35 / 118 04 00), ULS search gives you 86 results, including lots of licenses in the San Gabriel Valley with mobiles licensed for 40 km radius around their control station or other ground point (e.g. KAG238), whereas the "Site/Frequency/Market search report" yields only the 7 licenses that actually are for the query as I specified.

The report also lets you define a box instead of just a point/radius, which can be useful in some geographies, like Southern California

The report tool also does its work by creating a URL that contains all the query parameters and you can see it in the address bar. This allows the "Back to original search" link to work correctly when you need to go back and refine the search you just submitted. I imagine you can also craft your own URLs if you want to design your queries in a batch file or other front end (like Excel or Radio Reference :)). ULS, OTOH, "forgets" things like the co-ordinates and counties you might have selected when you use the "refine search" link because it doesn't build a URL, instead using POST to submit the query. (They could still make the refine search remember the previous parameters if they wanted to – it's just more work.)

The report tool queries other FCC databases, like the broadcast CDBS; ULS doesn't.

The report tool also provides more useful information with each result row, including the freq and coordinates, whereas in ULS, you would have to click on each license and then go to the locations and frequencies tab to get that information. The report also has a "format data for export" option that puts the results in a simple HTML table that can be copy/pasted into Excel (or even queried directly from Excel as mentioned earlier).

Really a nice find. :)

W0JJK

It also has the correctly formatted GPS coordinates to search Google Earth when you see the search results.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
It also has the correctly formatted GPS coordinates to search Google Earth when you see the search results.
Excellent! I've had macros in AutoIt and text editors for years that I use to change those "-" to " " because neither Google nor the FCC would change (I feel Google should be more flexible). :|

Status
Not open for further replies.