Ultimate Affordable Portable Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I've been tooling around with VHF HT's and whatnot and my ole Pro-93 is nearly broken and old. My VHF radios can pull in some mula when sold and all the accessories i've bought for them plus other radio equipment. I would say affordable for this radio would be around $100-$400+. I can find use for anything but to buy the ultimate scanner.
Heres a list of thing that might be useful to me or anyone:

Wideband recieve, love to have MARS/CAP mods
All the modes you can get
All the decoding/decrypting
Signal stalker close range thing

I want to know: Is it REAL?

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
af5rn said:
Yeah, I can't figure out if you're talking about a scanner or a transceiver. You're mixing your examples. Can you clarify?
it would be a scanner as the whole thing i'm talking bout a scanner and i guess the mars/cap mixed up sorry.
anything closes to this ?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
chrismoll said:
it would be a scanner as the whole thing i'm talking bout a scanner and i guess the mars/cap mixed up sorry.
anything closes to this ?

Just about any current digital capable scanner would fit most of your requirements, except for the wideband receive. Most of the current digital scanners are not continuous coverage, and most continuous coverage receivers don't do digital or trunk tracking.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
W4KRR said:
Just about any current digital capable scanner would fit most of your requirements, except for the wideband receive. Most of the current digital scanners are not continuous coverage, and most continuous coverage receivers don't do digital or trunk tracking.
Is wideband bascially SW included into regular scanners?
I want coverge from something like 27-2400Mhz, all modes and digital and all trunking
I was thinking that Uniden would have a nice line to chose from

n2mdk

All the current digital scanners cover from 25-1300MHz not higher. Will Trunk Track 4 types of systems.
In you original posting you mention decrypting, if your talking about encryption nothing will let you listen to encrypted transmissions. All but the Pro-96/2096 have a Close Call/Signal Stalker functions.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
chrismoll said:
Is wideband bascially SW included into regular scanners?
I want coverge from something like 27-2400Mhz, all modes and digital and all trunking
I was thinking that Uniden would have a nice line to chose from

There are wideband receivers, such as the Icom IC-R20, but they don't do trunking or digital. Likewise, most trunking scanners aren't really wideband receivers. You have to pick one or the other, or buy one of each to get all the features you want.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
DanTSX said:
Isnt the Uniden 330T considered "wideband"? 25Mhz - 1300mhz?

Not expensive, but not "cheap"

Yes, but I believe it's NLA (no longer available), at least not new.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
BCD396T, I see this one, has most of what I want, digital and close call tracking
Or maybe the Pro-96

mjthomas59

The 330t won't do digital anyway so that seems to be out.

The GRE digitals i believe have a "spectrum sweeper" which sounds an awful lot like "signal stalker".

However, no digital scanners out now will go beyond 1300mhz that i know of, and none of them are continuous coverage.

You have to sacrifice somewhere. I personally can't see only having 1 unit to try and do everything with, it seems that you would be missing more than you were hearing, plus you would need a countless number of antennas to even get decent performance from 30mhz up to 1300mhz, let alone 2400mhz.

Good luck in your search, i'd vote to buy a uniden for digital and trunking purposes, then the Icom for everything else.

I'd also add that at 5grand for the "all-mode" unit listed above, you still can't get digital, and you still can't do trunking.

Last edited:

mrsvensven

Any digital scanner will do what you want. There is nothing to listen to above 950MHz. The pro-96 doesn't have a signal detector but all the others should do what you want. If you don't need digital, you can save a couple hundred $. If the pro-93 could recieve all the signals you want, any trunktracker should work fine for you.

For a handheld, The options are the GRE PSR-500 and the Uniden BC396D
If you don't need digital, go with the Uniden BC-246T.

XTS3000

Isn't Ultimate Affordable and oxymoron? Like Icy Hot. Is it cold or hot? Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.