Ultra flex

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Only you can decide that. Ultraflex cost more than regular LMR, its got a bit more loss and some connectors are not compatible. If you must have good flexibility along the run then maybe you need it. If you can run the coax from your antenna to near your radio with stiffer LMR400, then use a few feet of smaller cable to connect your radio, then maybe not.

Would you recommend Ultraflex I’m using it for a bass scanner

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I have not used LMR-400 UF, but I have used LMR-600, LMR-400, LMR-240, LMR-240 UF, LMR-195, and LMR-195 UF in my own personal use.

Ultraflex of any size coax has 2 disadvantages, you give up more signal, and you give up more money.

It has the advantage of being more flexible than it's standard counterpart, which sometimes is needed.

As prcguy said, if you need that flexibility for your install, then get it.

If you go to the manufacture's website you can get specs for the minimum bend radius for all of their different cables, for instance here is Standard LMR-400,

This calculator is also very helpful in determining what size cable you need,

If you let us know the length of your run and the frequencies that you plan to monitor we can also help with a suggestion.

ra7850

Premium Subscriber
I have not used LMR-400 UF, but I have used LMR-600, LMR-400, LMR-240, LMR-240 UF, LMR-195, and LMR-195 UF in my own personal use.

Ultraflex of any size coax has 2 disadvantages, you give up more signal, and you give up more money.

It has the advantage of being more flexible than it's standard counterpart, which sometimes is needed.

As prcguy said, if you need that flexibility for your install, then get it.

If you go to the manufacture's website you can get specs for the minimum bend radius for all of their different cables, for instance here is Standard LMR-400,

This calculator is also very helpful in determining what size cable you need,

If you let us know the length of your run and the frequencies that you plan to monitor we can also help with a suggestion.

Great information! Thanks. I'm looking for the same information. In my scenario, my antennas are located in the attic. Unfortunately I have an HOA. The highest peak of the roof to where my radios are also located in the attic is less then 50 feet. The roof doesn't appear to be an issue, meaning that there isn't any metal under the shingles. It's not the bests scenario, but without a lot of grief it's what I have to deal with. My idea was to use LMR400 to a panel using bulkhead connectors then run the last 3 feet to the scanners. I usually listen to the local stuff in the 154.000 to 159.995 range, I can occasionally hear milair traffic, and the local airports. There are a few trunk systems in the area and the county is migrating to a new radio system that has yet been determined. I have the LMR400 left over from my previous residence, I'd still need to purchase connectors. I thought about using LRM240 but would require both the new cable and connectors, or buy the 50 feet of cable with the connectors preinstalled. My location is in Luzerne County, PA. The antenna I'm using is a scantenna/St2 from the old Grove Enterprises. Since I have the HOA, I'd like to use the best cable setup possible within reason.

Thanks
Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.