UMD College Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I submitted an update to the RRDB to reflect the current primary and alternate control channels, and undesignates two channels that are not configured as cchs.

The PGPD used to have contract officers that patrol the City of College Park. Is this still a thing? What TG would they use on the PG system? Also, does the UMPD have a tg on the PG system?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
OK, found a study that states the city pays for the equivalent of 2 officers per week: 4 days per week at 10 hours per day for each officer.

They provide additional coverage on top of the baseline county staffing for the B6 and B7 beats in D1 (tg 7.)

They don't seem to have a dedicated tg other that what is already provisioned for the baseline coverage. Still looking for evidence of UMPD usage of county tgs - or vice versa.

Also mentioned that the UMPD is the second largest force in the county, with 78 officers.

Last edited:

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
OK, found a study that states the city pays for the equivalent of 2 officers per week: 4 days per week at 10 hours per day for each officer.

They provide additional coverage on top of the baseline county staffing for the B6 and B7 beats in D1 (tg 7.)

They don't seem to have a dedicated tg other that what is already provisioned for the baseline coverage. Still looking for evidence of UMPD usage of county tgs - or vice versa.

Also mentioned that the UMPD is the second largest force in the county, with 78 officers.
I don't know recently it was when PGPD used to have contract officers that patrolled the City of College Park, but now the city is primarily patrolled by UMPD. However, for major incidents that occur off-campus, they are given to PGPD.
"UMPD has an ongoing concurrent jurisdiction agreement with the Prince Georges County Police Department (PGPD). Officially called the 'Agreement of Coordination of Enforcement Responsibilities,' it gives University Police Officers jurisdiction in areas adjacent to the campus in the City of College Park and Adelphi."
I've done a few ride-alongs with them and most of the time we spent on campus, but we also drove through some of the streets with restaurants and bars off-campus.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I don't know recently it was when PGPD used to have contract officers that patrolled the City of College Park, but now the city is primarily patrolled by UMPD. However, for major incidents that occur off-campus, they are given to PGPD.
"UMPD has an ongoing concurrent jurisdiction agreement with the Prince Georges County Police Department (PGPD). Officially called the 'Agreement of Coordination of Enforcement Responsibilities,' it gives University Police Officers jurisdiction in areas adjacent to the campus in the City of College Park and Adelphi."
I've done a few ride-alongs with them and most of the time we spent on campus, but we also drove through some of the streets with restaurants and bars off-campus.
I'd have to look at the City of College Park budget, but the PGPD had contract officers working in the city as recently as 2019. The study I refer to was done to analyse the need for a city police agency, and not surprisingly, the study authors recommended establishing a city force. AFAIK, the idea has been shelved for now. As far as concurrent jurisdiction, agreements (or law established in COMAR) are common with police agencies. For instance, the MdTA Police have an agreement with the Anne Arundel County Police to patrol highways up to two miles west of the bay bridge (although they have abused this agreement by setting up speed traps along US50 beyond the two mile limit.) The MdTA Police will also run calls for service on Kent Island at the request of the QAC Sheriff, and patrol US50 to the US50 / 301 split.

villlythekid

Premium Subscriber
I'd have to look at the City of College Park budget, but the PGPD had contract officers working in the city as recently as 2019. The study I refer to was done to analyse the need for a city police agency, and not surprisingly, the study authors recommended establishing a city force. AFAIK, the idea has been shelved for now. As far as concurrent jurisdiction, agreements (or law established in COMAR) are common with police agencies. For instance, the MdTA Police have an agreement with the Anne Arundel County Police to patrol highways up to two miles west of the bay bridge (although they have abused this agreement by setting up speed traps along US50 beyond the two mile limit.) The MdTA Police will also run calls for service on Kent Island at the request of the QAC Sheriff, and patrol US50 to the US50 / 301 split.
Ok, that makes sense. I just looked over this document: https://www.collegeparkmd.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1879/FY19-Police-Annual-Report?bidId= and it shows that they work anywhere from +/- 340 hours a week to +/- 450 hours a week. It's also interesting that 5 departments have jurisdiction there (Metro Transit PD- College Park Metro, Maryland State Police, [there's a barrack in College Park] M-NCPP Park Police, UMPD and PGPD) yet there's no municipal PD, such as some of the nearby towns/cities do. It seems like the non-contract Baker sector PGPD officers spend more time in the unincorporated parts of Riverdale and Brentwood than near College Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.