HP-2: Ummm...why is it asking for time when I turn it on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterLongwire

Amateur radio operator/QC tech for radio mfr.
Banned
OK...I am familiar with other radios having this issue and thank goodness Uniden is there to help and restore order, but my HP2 is acting up lately. No new revision on the radio....database updated every now and then. Bought the extreme upgrade as it is quite interesting. It is not on A/C power-only on nimh batts that are charged externally. It has happened twice this week that after turning it on and it loads my favorites it goes to the setup asking me to type in the time. Tell me I am imagining this! I mean...I love this radio...along with the 996xt...and the many others in my radio room. Tell me I am doing something wrong(highly improbable but I have not tried walking on water). I am confused!

Blackswan73

To time stamp recordings if you use the record function, the HP 2 has an internal circuit that preserves the time after it is set. If the scanner is without power for an extended time. The clock setting is lost.

Michael-SATX

Try these ideas ~ They just might solve your issue ?

I am aware it is there to timestamp recordings....the question is why is it asking me so often...

OK, try these 2 ideas for a possible remedy to your HP2E lossing it's CMOS clock settings.

1) Before removing your batteries for external charging, plug the AC adapter and only unplug AC adapter
after replacing your freshly charged NiMH 4xAA batteries. This way the clock circuit won't starve/drain,etc.

2) Have 2 sets of batteries that you swap out and rotate with, never leaving HP2E long w/o clock power.
Also note that upon pluging in AC-Adapter you can answer "NO" to the question of charging batteries.

ps~I love my HP1E and I have had it on for about 4 years straight, I haven't had any clock problems, etc.
I run my display in auto dim mode. AC Adapter 24/7 with my trusty long running Powerex NiMH 2700's
I love my Extreme Upgrade, my HP1E serves me well on Analyze or Discovery Mode all day long ;)

MisterLongwire

Banned
So enlighten me here please....you mean to tell me that a CMOS exists in the HP2? Ok...wow! So that puts owners in the same situation as the 436/536 owners with that issue. But I hope.the situation.is not so severe. Sad.thing is that I don not hook up a USB to the unit for power...only to update the DB. Oh well....minor inconvenience. Still love my HP2....would not trade it or sell it

MisterLongwire

Banned
So I basically have a 436 or 536 that needs to be plugged in to charge the CMOS. Funny thing is I have batteries in it...either reg alkalines or nimh batteries. That doesn't make sense guys...sorry. Matter of fact it just started doing it after the fact I bought it last year.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The CMOS battery is charged by external power. The operating (AA) batteries do not power the clock or charge the batteries. If you never use external power, eventually the CMOS batteries will run down.

Try plugging the scanner into external power for 24 or so hours and see if that corrects the problem.

So I basically have a 436 or 536 that needs to be plugged in to charge the CMOS. Funny thing is I have batteries in it...either reg alkalines or nimh batteries. That doesn't make sense guys...sorry. Matter of fact it just started doing it after the fact I bought it last year.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I remember Paul saying that the battery design in the xseries and HP2 are similar. I believe he stated they may have an issue in the future with the HP2.

I've never seen one reported ... yet. I also have one that is from the 1t batch off the boat. It rarely runs off battery and is always plugged in.

MisterLongwire

Banned
Oh lovely...I feel like crap because I don't want to sound like I am belly-aching as others have regarding their radios and the issues that have existed. If UPMan is reading this I might be the first for this issue with an HP2. I'm not mad...not pissed...just curious if I had done something wrong. This is the best scanner I had ever owned as my first was a Robyn back in the 70's. I'll have to try and hook up the AC to my scanner via USB and do a couple hours to see if that helped. Otherwise I will have to seek the advise from UPMan. Thanks guys for the info and assistance.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Oh lovely...I feel like crap because I don't want to sound like I am belly-aching as others have regarding their radios and the issues that have existed. If UPMan is reading this I might be the first for this issue with an HP2. I'm not mad...not pissed...just curious if I had done something wrong. This is the best scanner I had ever owned as my first was a Robyn back in the 70's. I'll have to try and hook up the AC to my scanner via USB and do a couple hours to see if that helped. Otherwise I will have to seek the advise from UPMan. Thanks guys for the info and assistance.

I would try plugging it in to power for 24 hours or so... like garys mentioned in an earlier post. If the problem persists after that, I would contact Uniden Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.