Un-identified TRS in Cary

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonaustin

I am picking up a Motorolla CC on 859.437500 very clearly while near the intersection of US1 and HWY64 in Cary. The SID is 2C10 (which is what the VIPER trailer system uses) and I am hearing some occasional talk (slightly informal) on tg #4656 (a tg on the viper system). They keep mentioning varsity. I looked up what it could be in the FCC ULS and saw either UNC-CH is going really far, or it is part of a NCSHP trunked system. Does anybody have any insight as to what this system may be? Is it part of the Viper trailer system or is UNC-CH just transmitting really far?

gordonaustin

Figured it out

I have come to believe that it is the UNC-CH system as I heard a unit identified as UNC-5 and all of the chatter would fit in the context of a university.

gr8rcall

Premium Subscriber
You've probably just found a spot where the spectrum is open!
In other words, a sweet listening spot for that system!

trumpetman

Database Admin
When identifying trunked systems, it's best to go by the system ID as it is unique to each trunked system (especially important on mobile systems that travel). Sounds like they've set up the mobile TRS for an operation in the Raleigh area to prevent loading down the main VIPER system or allow for better coverage in a localized area.

The TG you mention is also one of the 10 valid talkgroups programmed in for that system.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
When identifying trunked systems, it's best to go by the system ID as it is unique to each trunked system (especially important on mobile systems that travel). Sounds like they've set up the mobile TRS for an operation in the Raleigh area to prevent loading down the main VIPER system or allow for better coverage in a localized area.

The TG you mention is also one of the 10 valid talkgroups programmed in for that system.

Yep. 2C10 is indeed the mobile tower system and the mention of "Varsity" leads me to believe the mobile system was setup for the NCSU Baseball
games over the weekend as NCSU has a Varsity Drive near the baseball fields.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.