un-labled traps on Hustler 6-BTV

NunuHam

Hi all. I had labeled my traps after disassembly a few years ago, but now the ink has faded off completely. Any recommendations on how I can tell which trap is which?

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Hi all. I had labeled my traps after disassembly a few years ago, but now the ink has faded off completely. Any recommendations on how I can tell which trap is which?
Use a grid dip meter with the meter coil up against the trap coil. Or you could probably us an antenna analyzer and attach one end of the trap to the analyzer antenna connector center conductor with a very short piece of wire. In both cases the trap should resonate around its intended band.

Toad_77

Since I literally just went through this after pulling my 6-BTV out of it's box after ~6 years:
Mark the position of the trap sleeve (the outer piece of metal on the trap) and slide it down.
Count the coils
10 Meters = 12 turns
15 Meters = 22 turns
20 Meters = 31 turns
30 Meters = 47 turns

This comes from the DX Engineering installation instructions for the BTV series.
DX-E Manual

merlin

Some of the traps are dual band to cover 6 bands. With the RM-80, all the traps are 80 meters, 75 meters without.
Best way to test is use an antenna analyzer or VNA. sweep the full HF band, it will show the dips at the 6 bands.
Individually, couple a dip meter and look at the dip, per band.

Attachments

• 6BTV.jpg
    6BTV.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1

merlin

Use a grid dip meter with the meter coil up against the trap coil. Or you could probably us an antenna analyzer and attach one end of the trap to the analyzer antenna connector center conductor with a very short piece of wire. In both cases the trap should resonate around its intended band.
That is a bit the hard way.