Unable to find adapter for aftermarket antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

87bmw325is

I'm considering splicing coax to connect an aftermarket universal antenna w/ the OEM cable in my 25 year old BMW. The cables appear to be the same size (diameter). I've searched for connectors/adapters for a week now, but have been unsuccessful in finding anything that would connect a standard motorola male plug (from the new antenna) w/ a RP male SMA connector (at least that's what I think it is) on my existing coax that leads to the radio. (I've been looking for an adapter that has a RP female SMA connector on one end, and a standard motorola jack on the other). Doesn't seem to exist.

So, I haven't cut off the mis-matched connectors on the 2 cables yet, but I'm thinking the best option for my situation is to cut them off and splice the two cables together. I would attach male coax connectors (like what's used for cable tv) and connect them together w/ a male-to-male barrel connector. I would need to purchase a coax cable stripper, as well as the 2 male coax connectors & 1 male-to-male barrel connector.

Please provide advice/suggestions and any warnings. (I do know I should disconnect the battery first) Also, should I purchase a cable cutter and/or crimping tool, or could I get buy w/ ordinary tools around the house?

BTW, I am unable to post a new thread, and this one seemed to be closely related. I'm new to all this and trying to learn and figure things out. Thanks!

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
BTW, I am unable to post a new thread, and this one seemed to be closely related. I'm new to all this and trying to learn and figure things out. Thanks!

Not sure why the system wouldn't let you start a new thread, but in any case, I split your post off into its own thread.

]I'm considering splicing coax to connect an aftermarket universal antenna w/ the OEM cable in my 25 year old BMW. The cables appear to be the same size (diameter). I've searched for connectors/adapters for a week now, but have been unsuccessful in finding anything that would connect a standard motorola male plug (from the new antenna) w/ a RP male SMA connector (at least that's what I think it is) on my existing coax that leads to the radio. (I've been looking for an adapter that has a RP female SMA connector on one end, and a standard motorola jack on the other). Doesn't seem to exist.

So, I haven't cut off the mis-matched connectors on the 2 cables yet, but I'm thinking the best option for my situation is to cut them off and splice the two cables together. I would attach male coax connectors (like what's used for cable tv) and connect them together w/ a male-to-male barrel connector. I would need to purchase a coax cable stripper, as well as the 2 male coax connectors & 1 male-to-male barrel connector.

Please provide advice/suggestions and any warnings. (I do know I should disconnect the battery first) Also, should I purchase a cable cutter and/or crimping tool, or could I get buy w/ ordinary tools around the house?

I would suggest that you not do what you're planning to do.

Anytime you insert anything into a piece of coax, you're going to have to deal with whats known as "Insertion loss".

I would suggest you install a new antenna with appropriate coax to run to your radio and leave your factory coax alone. Plus who wants to deal with not having their radio work in their car?

87bmw325is

Splice coax for new antenna to original cable - Advice requested!

Thanks for your quick response! The OEM is a 25-yr old Hirshmann power antenna, and the mast was not extending fully to pick up reception; I think it's probably due to the mast being damaged or slightly bent. Also the seal around the antenna hole in the car was cracked from age, and allowed water to leak inside the trunk. To purchase a new mast and seal would cost $70 or more and I'm not confident that a replacement mast will match up with the original Hirshmann motor/box or that the motor unit will last much longer. Plus the installation of the mast into the motor unit is more complicated than what I think I can handle, and the original antenna & motor unit have already been disconnected & removed from the car before we realized the new antenna wasn't going to match up to the original antenna cable.

I've not been able to find a new (non-power) antenna with the RP-female SMA connector. PLUS, I'm not even certain that the original connector (it LOOKS like a RP-male SMA) is standard to what's on the market now; i.e. the threads could be different; the size could be slightly different.

I'm just trying to think "out of the box" and come up w/ a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.