• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unable to read my motorola spectra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

middleofAKTB

I have 2 motorola spectras that im trying to program. i have the software that comes with the CPS for the XTS3000/ Saber and the Spectra. im able to read my XTS3000 on the software but when i go to read my Spectra the display will either blank out or read an error code over and over. not sure what the deal is or if i need to reconfigure my laptop. I just hope i didnt burn up something in the radio itself. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appricate it.

Thank you!!
Tyler

middleofAKTB

What error code is it showing?

the program just says communication with radio failed. the spectra itself will go through this cycle on the display, the screen will display "program" then the screen goes blank and does its self check and turns back on. but it does it a few times before the program says communication with radio failed. or every once in awhile the display with flash this code. FL 01/90

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Do you have a Spectra or an Astro Spectra?

Spectras use RSS not CPS.

Astro Spectras use Astro Mobile CPS which is different than Astro Portable CPS which is used for Astro Sabers and XTS3000's.

kb7gjy

Feed Provider
An FL 01/90 is a general hardware failure.
FAIL 01/90 Serial Bus Failure. May be control head failure, a radio command board failure, or a cabling failure
a. Troubleshoot Control Head
b. Check rear options connector cabling
c. Replace Command Board

Make sure your RIB has new batteries, Have you been able to program the Spectra before? If not, I would suspect the cable, as some of the cheap cables are very poorly made. Make sure your settings are correct (IE com port, speed, etc.)

Also, just a thought. What OS are you using on your laptop, as the RSS needs to be used in native DOS not a Cmd prompt. So you might need to do a dual boot or pick up a cheap old laptop for programing these old radios. ,

Hope this Helps

cmdrwill

OP stated he has Spectra radios. And the 'software' he listed is NOT for the Spectra radio.
As mentioned, Spectra RSS only runs in DOS and does not understand Windows let alone the dammed USB.

jim202

Can you provide the model number of the Spectra your trying to program. This way we have an idea which radio your trying to program.

One major point to keep in mind is that the Spectra radios will not do narrow band operation. That means here in the US, these radios can not be used on commercial or public safety frequencies. Only can be used on the ham frequencies. They are fine radios for the ham use.

You probably need different software than what you have to program the Spectra radios. They only use DOS to run the programming software under. Plus it's best to have a computer clock speed of 1 GHz. or lower. You will probably need to shut off the computer cache in order for the Spectra software to function.

I enjoy using the Spectra radios on the VHF and UHF ham frequencies. It just might take some manipulation of the software to get them to work. Plus on the UHF radios, I would expect to have to play with the VCO in the radio to get them to work on the UHF ham band.

There is some Spectra radio information available on the repeater builder site to help you put these radios on the ham band. The batlabs site also has some good info on the Spectra.

The first problem to overcome is the capacitor problem the Spectra radios develop. It starts showing up as low receive audio and then progresses to loud popping noises when the squelch opens and closes. Simple solution is to replace the capacitors on the control board. They do start leaking the electrolyte with time and this can etch the lands right of the circuit board over time.

middleofAKTB

Im sorry for the delay, its a Motorola Spectra. Model number, DA5KX-067W. after reading all the comments I looked at the software that i have installed and its a Motorola Astro Spectra CPS. which also explains why its not wanting to read. I just need to get the Motorola Spectra software now.. I didn't realize that there was a difference between Motorola spectra and Motorola Astro spectra. i do however has an old dell laptop with DOS and MS-DOS on it which i hope it will help put it all together.

Tyler

middleofAKTB

Do you have a Spectra or an Astro Spectra?

Spectras use RSS not CPS.

Astro Spectras use Astro Mobile CPS which is different than Astro Portable CPS which is used for Astro Sabers and XTS3000's.

An FL 01/90 is a general hardware failure.
FAIL 01/90 Serial Bus Failure. May be control head failure, a radio command board failure, or a cabling failure
a. Troubleshoot Control Head
b. Check rear options connector cabling
c. Replace Command Board

Make sure your RIB has new batteries, Have you been able to program the Spectra before? If not, I would suspect the cable, as some of the cheap cables are very poorly made. Make sure your settings are correct (IE com port, speed, etc.)

Also, just a thought. What OS are you using on your laptop, as the RSS needs to be used in native DOS not a Cmd prompt. So you might need to do a dual boot or pick up a cheap old laptop for programing these old radios. ,

Hope this Helps

OP stated he has Spectra radios. And the 'software' he listed is NOT for the Spectra radio.
As mentioned, Spectra RSS only runs in DOS and does not understand Windows let alone the dammed USB.

Can you provide the model number of the Spectra your trying to program. This way we have an idea which radio your trying to program.

One major point to keep in mind is that the Spectra radios will not do narrow band operation. That means here in the US, these radios can not be used on commercial or public safety frequencies. Only can be used on the ham frequencies. They are fine radios for the ham use.

You probably need different software than what you have to program the Spectra radios. They only use DOS to run the programming software under. Plus it's best to have a computer clock speed of 1 GHz. or lower. You will probably need to shut off the computer cache in order for the Spectra software to function.

I enjoy using the Spectra radios on the VHF and UHF ham frequencies. It just might take some manipulation of the software to get them to work. Plus on the UHF radios, I would expect to have to play with the VCO in the radio to get them to work on the UHF ham band.

There is some Spectra radio information available on the repeater builder site to help you put these radios on the ham band. The batlabs site also has some good info on the Spectra.

The first problem to overcome is the capacitor problem the Spectra radios develop. It starts showing up as low receive audio and then progresses to loud popping noises when the squelch opens and closes. Simple solution is to replace the capacitors on the control board. They do start leaking the electrolyte with time and this can etch the lands right of the circuit board over time.

Well there is ONE good thing... Serial port too?

If you have more problems, I will gladly help, send a PM.

Yes it hasd serial port as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.