HP-2: Unable to receive local frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTMATT12

I am the proud owner of a new HP 2 that I use in my vehicle with a Tram mobile antenna. Scannermaster.com programmed two counties for me in my Favorites list. For some reason four of my local frequencies are completely silent (I tested using another scanner). I am essentially not hearing stations located within about a 10 mile radius. Location is not active, Range is at 30 miles, Squelch is about half way and the frequencies are not locked out. The stations are in Northern CA (Napa County Fire 154.415, Cal Fire 151.340 and 151.460 and Napa EMS (Napa 11) 155.100. What am I doing wrong? How should I fix this issue? Thank you everyone for your time.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am the proud owner of a new HP 2 that I use in my vehicle with a Tram mobile antenna. Scannermaster.com programmed two counties for me in my Favorites list. For some reason four of my local frequencies are completely silent (I tested using another scanner). I am essentially not hearing stations located within about a 10 mile radius. Location is not active, Range is at 30 miles, Squelch is about half way and the frequencies are not locked out. The stations are in Northern CA (Napa County Fire 154.415, Cal Fire 151.340 and 151.460 and Napa EMS (Napa 11) 155.100. What am I doing wrong? How should I fix this issue? Thank you everyone for your time.
Normally, squelch should be set just high enough that the scanner does not hear static & just sits on a given frequency. A setting of 'about halfway' may be too much, and you're blocking weaker transmissions. My HP-1 @ HP-2 both are at a squelch of about 3 (that's three bars on the scale that you see along he botton of the HP's screen when you press 'Squelch' on the scanner's display.

More likely is that something is amiss on the programming provided via ScannerMaster. While you indicate that you are not using location, it's almost a certainty that location was used by ScannerMaster when creating your Favorites list. If they used the wrong location, and/or too tight a range, it's possible that your "missing" channels are not even included for scanning. Also, you said that you 'verified' using another scanner. Was that other scanner, and your HP-2 at the same location, with comparable antennas?

It would be helpful if you could post a copy of your Favorites list to the thread. Also, confirm that you have updated the database, via Sentinel reasonably recently.

Attaching an *.hpe file to a post

If possible, use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel.
Then, export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file. Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export is listed under the File drop-down menu. Be sure to note where the exported file is being saved.

Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.
Using Windows Explorer, find the file.
There are two ways to do this. You can either change the file extension itself, or compress the file using 7-Zip or other file utility. The *.zip file extension can be attached to a post and uploaded to the Forums.

Or, using Windows Explorer, rename your file one of these two ways:
For illustration, let's call your exported file 'MyFile.hpe' (without the quotes).
<Right><Click> on the file & choose Rename from the pop-up menu.
You can then rename your file to MyFile.txt, or MyFile.hpe.txt in order to attach it to a post. Whoever views the file will need to reset the file name back to MyFile.hpe, then it can be imported into Sentinel for viewing.

Once you post the *.hpe file, it can be viewed to see if there is a correction needed, or it the channels just need to be added.

EMTMATT12

Comparable unit

I am using a comparable unit and antenna. I guess I need to change the range and location. This is the first time using the software. Can someone walk me through the steps once I get my favorites list loaded to to the program. Also I want do a search for a PL tone and not have a set PL tone. What are the steps for that? Thank you

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Locations are set at the Site and Department levels for trunked systems and just the Department level for conventional systems. Look in the Location tab once you are viewing a site or department.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Setting up Sentenal tonight. How do you change the location in your favorites list on the program? Thank you
Location, in Sentinel, is under your Profile. Use the Profile editor to update location, Select the Service types you want, and a number of other things. That's also the place where you can change what displays when you boot up the scanner. On mine, I have my name, email address, cell #, and 'Reward if Found'.
I am using a comparable unit and antenna. I guess I need to change the range and location. This is the first time using the software. Can someone walk me through the steps once I get my favorites list loaded to to the program. Also I want do a search for a PL tone and not have a set PL tone. What are the steps for that? Thank you
Start with this online manual. A lot of good information, and step by step instructions.
Easier to Read HomePatrol-1/HP-2 Digitall Scanner and Sentinel Manual

The Favorites list editor is where you can modify individual channel settings, like whether to use a set PL/CTCSS, DCS, or NAC, or instead use Search.

While, using the Profile Editor, you can change your location and/or range, I suspect that you'll find that your 'missing channels' are either not even present in your pre-programmed Favorites list, or are set as 'Avoid' (locked out).

scosgt

The HP-2 is VERY VERY sensitive to RFI from the dashboard. I had exactly the similar experience with the scanner attached to the dash in a trunked area - got NOTING right in the middle of the area. Moved it back around a foot and it came to life. The HP-1 is less bothered, the 325P2 is not bothered at all in the same location.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The HP-2 is VERY VERY sensitive to RFI from the dashboard. I had exactly the similar experience with the scanner attached to the dash in a trunked area - got NOTING right in the middle of the area. Moved it back around a foot and it came to life. The HP-1 is less bothered, the 325P2 is not bothered at all in the same location.
I have used my HP-2 on the dash of 5 different vehicles now and have never had any issues.

I think the OP had their squelch set to high. I have never set a squelch above 2 or 3.

I_am_Alpha1

Is the service type turned on? Is the attenuation turned on? Not too worried about squelch unless it's a weak signal--then you have to consider outside antenna anyway.

Read the Easier to Read HP manual that's linked above--it's wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.