Unable to retrieve Win-96 key

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntodd

Premium Subscriber
Hey all. I purchased Win-96 years ago, and now I need to install it on a new PC and I need a copy of my key. Unfortunately, I can't get an email to Don because it soft-bounces with a "high risk for spam" error. This is from my Gmail account.

Any suggestions?

u2brent

OAMPT
If the old PC is still around and in working order you may be able to find the key in the registry.
Don and his software don't appear to be getting support any longer, Only Don can provide a clear explanation and he seems to be awol. Sadly a good product, A quick search in the forums will reveal many others with issues as well.

n5ims

Both Win-97 and Win-500 show you the installed license key when you run the program using Help; License Key menu options. Much easier than searching the registry. Now both assume that you can still run your old PC. One other option might be to search through your old emails where you received your license key. The purchase screen stated to save the information in a safe place since you'd need it to reinstall the software on a new PC or after a hardware failure. It also states that the company wouldn't be able to send you a replacement key.

Be aware that you not only need the issued key, but also the name as sent in the registration e-mail. This name includes several fields and must be entered exactly as sent. The name as issued also appears on the license key dialog box so if you can run the software on your old PC, you should have everything you need, even if you can't find the original email sent to you with your registration information.

johntodd

Premium Subscriber
I think I'm screwed. The hard drive died on the old machine and I'm pretty sure I registered on an old company email that's long since been downsized. It's a great piece of software. Shame it's not getting the support it should any longer. Thank you both.

u2brent

OAMPT
Yep, it's a shame. I managed to save my original emails, even printed out hard copies that are in a pile somewhere..
A word to the wise, If you happen to have a working copy of Starrsoft software and haven't done so.. Save that registration info somewhere.. It's priceless :geek:

johntodd

Premium Subscriber
I ended up doing the right thing. I paid for a new key. For $20, and I've owned the software for at least a decade, it's well worth the money. I don't think $40 is too much to spend on something that works the way it should.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I ended up doing the right thing. I paid for a new key. For $20, and I've owned the software for at least a decade, it's well worth the money. I don't think $40 is too much to spend on something that works the way it should.
Just for info as to the current state of Don's ordering system.....

Did you get the key as soon as you paid?

And did you use a credit card without PayPal being involved at all, or was it through a PayPal transaction?

u2brent

OAMPT
Just for info as to the current state of Don's ordering system.....

Did you get the key as soon as you paid?

And did you use a credit card without PayPal being involved at all, or was it through a PayPal transaction?

Definitely would be nice to hear that keys are indeed being issued..
I hope you got yours..
A report back to that affect would soothe some folks nerves.
Would definitely be a welcomed report considering the current trend regarding starrsoft that has been ongoing..

u2brent

OAMPT
Hey all. I purchased Win-96 years ago, and now I need to install it on a new PC and I need a copy of my key. Unfortunately, I can't get an email to Don because it soft-bounces with a "high risk for spam" error. This is from my Gmail account.

Any suggestions?
Definitely would be nice to hear that keys are indeed being issued..
I hope you got yours..
A report back to that affect would soothe some folks nerves.
Would definitely be a welcomed report considering the current trend regarding starrsoft that has been ongoing..

So.. I haven't been holding my breath; But would sure like to hear that good report.. :unsure:
Did you actually get the key you purchased?
I'm assuming yes or you'd have been back here telling everyone about your disappointing experience.
But I'm not clairvoyant..
Did you indeed get a newly purchased key or no? (I'm not asking to reveal the details.. Just a yes or no would suffice) (y)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I got my key in email, instantly. No fuss, no muss.
That is good news for you and others. I have used Win97 and Win500 for years and enjoy both. Others of late advised they did not receive a key and had to request a refund. I forgot what I paid for Win500, but would buy it again if needed. I hope Don is able to keep processing orders.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the delay! Yes, I got my key in email, instantly. No fuss, no muss.

Thanks for all the concern and the help.

The problems folks were having in the past seemed to be when the PayPal system was the method of payment used for the Keys. Was that what you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.