TRX-1: Unable to use Tune Search for 450-470 MHz on Whistlers

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Trying to use search tune mode on all my Whistler scanners, which include the TRX-1 WS1098 and WS1080, it will not allow me to enter any frequencies between 450 MHz and 470 MHz. When I do it reverts back to 25.000 MHz. All other frequency ranges appear to work fine.

Anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?

Ubbe

What happens if you enter 449.975 and step up with the arrow button into the 450-470MHz range? If the band are blocked it should step up to 471MHz

/Ubbe

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
What happens if you enter 449.975 and step up with the arrow button into the 450-470MHz range? If the band are blocked it should step up to 471MHz

/Ubbe
Trying that method allows me to step up through the 450-460 band

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Trying to use search tune mode on all my Whistler scanners, which include the TRX-1 WS1098 and WS1080, it will not allow me to enter any frequencies between 450 MHz and 470 MHz. When I do it reverts back to 25.000 MHz. All other frequency ranges appear to work fine.

Odd. My upgraded PSR-800 lets me enter frequencies in that range.

ecps92

Odd. My upgraded PSR-800 lets me enter frequencies in that range.
My 500/600 and RS Clones allow me to enter those frequencies....

Puzzled, are you doing this by hand or software? and if Software what brand ? (never mind just saw you post EZ Scan)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
My 500/600 and RS Clones allow me to enter those frequencies....

Puzzled, are you doing this by hand or software? and if Software what brand ? (never mind just saw you post EZ Scan)
I'm entering them by hand through the search menu on the scanner, and the only software used on all these radios is EZ Scan.

ecps92

I'm entering them by hand through the search menu on the scanner, and the only software used on all these radios is EZ Scan.
One question not asked yet, and I use almost daily when troubleshooting computers is.
When did this begin, and what was updated, just before the problem appeared ?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
One question not asked yet, and I use almost daily when troubleshooting computers is.
When did this begin, and what was updated, just before the problem appeared ?
I seldomly use this feature, so honestly I do not know. Also there have been no updates in a while.

scannerjunkie

Is your ezscan software up to date. I seem to recall that there was a issue with some previous versions which would block some frequency searches. and there was missing scan lists. I found this on mine. When i updated to most recent version of ezscan these issues were corrected.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Is your ezscan software up to date. I seem to recall that there was a issue with some previous versions which would block some frequency searches. and there was missing scan lists. I found this on mine. When i updated to most recent version of ezscan these issues were corrected.
Thanks, but yes all versions are up to date.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I don't have that particular problem (and I use that feature to death), but here's something I'll share about 450-470 on the TRX-1:

When Flex-Step is engaged, all my freqs between 450-470 will display a freq 0.625 kHz lower than what I entered, either as a programmed freq or as a search limit. (i.e. 451.000 will appear as 450.999375) 450 & 470 MHz themselves are not affected--just the frequencies in-between. To see if I could anticipate this, I tried programming in 451.000625 to see if it would come out as 451.000--but THAT one came out exactly as entered. This does not happen when I enter a freq in Tune (Fn+0). It also doesn't happen when programming via EZ Scan--only when I program the radio by hand. This phenomenon disappears when Flex-Step is disengaged.
Another user and I have both found that when Flex-Step is engaged, our search lockouts between 450 and 465 don't work. This happens whether 'Skip=Skip' or 'Skip=Lockout' in the Global Settings Menu. The locked out freqs appear on the lockout list, but the scanner still stops on them. The problem abates when Flex-Step is disengaged.

The situations I described do not appear to happen when at 450 or below or 470 & above.

I wonder if the OP's situation might improve with a reload of the firmware

73/Allen (N4JRI)

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Another user and I have both found that when Flex-Step is engaged, our search lockouts between 450 and 465 don't work. This happens whether 'Skip=Skip' or 'Skip=Lockout' in the Global Settings Menu. The locked out freqs appear on the lockout list, but the scanner still stops on them. The problem abates when Flex-Step is disengaged.

The situations I described do not appear to happen when at 450 or below or 470 & above.

73/Allen (N4JRI)
That was me.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I don't have that particular problem (and I use that feature to death), but here's something I'll share about 450-470 on the TRX-1:

When Flex-Step is engaged, all my freqs between 450-470 will display a freq 0.625 kHz lower than what I entered, either as a programmed freq or as a search limit. (i.e. 451.000 will appear as 450.999375) 450 & 470 MHz themselves are not affected--just the frequencies in-between. To see if I could anticipate this, I tried programming in 451.000625 to see if it would come out as 451.000--but THAT one came out exactly as entered. This does not happen when I enter a freq in Tune (Fn+0). It also doesn't happen when programming via EZ Scan--only when I program the radio by hand. This phenomenon disappears when Flex-Step is disengaged.

I wonder if the OP's situation might improve with a reload of the firmware

73/Allen (N4JRI)
Actually, I have the same issue you are describing when I do limit searches in the 450-470 band.

Disabling Flex Step fixes both problems. thank you so much.

Ubbe

The 450-470 band are set to use a 3,125KHz step size. The 764-797MHz range also use 3,125KHz steps. Can you test if that band also has that bug?

Flexstep are using half the step size of what are set in the bandplan. I wouldn't expect the scanner to be using 1,5625KHz steps so there's probably some logical error in the thinking process from the programmer of the firmware code.

/Ubbe

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
The 450-470 band are set to use a 3,125KHz step size. The 764-797MHz range also use 3,125KHz steps. Can you test if that band also has that bug?

Flexstep are using half the step size of what are set in the bandplan. I wouldn't expect the scanner to be using 1,5625KHz steps so there's probably some logical error in the thinking process from the programmer of the firmware code.

/Ubbe
Testing the 764-797 band did not have the same issues with Flex Step on.

HiD092

what firmware are you using?