Unambiguous AGC settings 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I have looked at the "Easier" manual and the official Uniden manual and found them identical and ambiguous. Searching here and the Yahoogroups turned up nothing more.

I am just looking for an unambiguous statement on the AGC settings in the BCD996XT, for example:

"Digital AGC response time of -8 is the slowest setting, +8 is the fastest setting"

or words to that effect.

I'm not seeing a substantial (any) change in the response time based on this setting. I'm still getting my eardrum pierced by the first extremely loud syllables on P25 digital trunked system channels which makes listening unenjoyable. This is worsened when driving because I must crank the volume up louder to compensate for the ambient noise, so I really get an ear ache then.

Similarly, does the "Reference gain" parameter determine the knee of compression when the AGC will start cutting in? Or does it set the desired output level after passing through the compressor, as the Easier guide implies?

My local systems are mostly analog so I usually get the effects of this when traveling up to Boca Raton on down the Keys, both of which use digital trunked systems. So I don't have much opportunity to test these settings very well.

Thanks for helping me out on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.