Unattended Logging Of Whistler Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
One of the things that I have enjoyed doing over the years is configuring my scanners to software to log activity when I am away from home. I particularly like documenting what PL/DPL/NAC Codes/Color Codes are in use for the various frequencies. Is there currently a way to do that with the Whistler line of scanners?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Use the record function as it not only records the audio but also does what your looking for if you have the display set to advanced.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The only down side to recording on Whistlers is the slow speed that you download from scanner to PC. The only fast way is to power down the scanner remove the SD card and use a card reader then replace the SD card and power the scanner back up. That is why I keep asking for a program like Win500 or PROSCAN for logging and recording.

SOFA_KING

The only down side to recording on Whistlers is the slow speed that you download from scanner to PC. The only fast way is to power down the scanner remove the SD card and use a card reader then replace the SD card and power the scanner back up. That is why I keep asking for a program like Win500 or PROSCAN for logging and recording.

Actually, if they would just allow you to access the Audio Index List as a CSV file, you would have your log right there without the need to access every recording. It's the way they lock everything down that prevents us from doing what we want. I personally don't want to dedicate a computer to capture the data. I much prefer the scanner doing it all, and visiting it with a computer every once and a while to see what new stuff came in. If Whistler would just "throw us a frickin bone here" and let us pull that Audio Recording Index List off so we could analyze the data, that would be a solution that would work. AND please make a column for the access codes like NAC, Color Code, RAN, etc. It now shows up top, but not on a sortable column. Data sorting is a powerful tool. And access codes are often identifiers that can tell you what user is using a frequency. We need these features improved on the EZscan software.

Phil

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Phil I agree for most people that would be great. I have the resources 2 spare laptops 2 spare tablets and a spare desk top I could leave the laptop and scanner at a site logging and come back a week or 2 then go back and get the scanner and laptop and look at the data. I know it is hard to please everybody with all the features so I am happy getting something over nothing.
Bud

kc2kth

Not to hijack the thread, but when reading the OP did anyone else think of how we used to connect VCRs to our scanners because they could record up to 8 hours on one T-160 tape, which was far longer than a typical tape recorder?

DonS

if they would just allow you to access the Audio Index List as a CSV file
No such list exists on the scanner. The "ARINDEX.DAT" file in the REC directory is just a list of file numbers. It contains no information about the contents of any recordings.

When the PC app is generating the data for its UI, it's opening every .AU file and reading header data.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Don .. I did not want to go there and ignored that post, but there are many that just do not know how these scanners actually work.

I have an audio app for Uniden, that works much like the Whistler app. Re the Whistler app .. it works actually quite well in my mind. I don't see any need for new apps though it depends on what you want.

I was going to say .. that if the opening of every file as I do now could be avoided .. I would be all over that, cause it is time consuming. But just how it is.

JSTARS03

Monitor
Premium Subscriber
If after the PC app generates that data and populates the list, if we could just export that list to a CSV file.
Or even just copy and then paste that grid into a spreadsheet. That would be great for those of us few,
who analyze, track and log every singe recording and the data it gathers.

Thank you
JSTARS

SCPD

QRT
If after the PC app generates that data and populates the list, if we could just export that list to a CSV file.
Or even just copy and then paste that grid into a spreadsheet. That would be great for those of us few,
who analyze, track and log every singe recording and the data it gathers.

Thank you
JSTARS

What I did in my Uniden app .. load the data from the .wav file header and load 'the data' into a database. So I have all the data I need but really mostly I use it for listening to audio from particular radios I am interested in. You could do exactly the same thing with the Whistler scanners using your own software.

I also allow the copying of files I am interested in as well as conversion to mp3 and combining the desired files into 1 file for export .. ie when there is an event I am interested in. I also log all the data from a system I am interested in .. using a different app. So .. as a user we have a ton of power, limited by your imagination and software development skills.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I more or less already have such solution, I just don't have the front end live.

For informational purposes, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

-> Better user experience for listening?

-> A log of all hits that is portable?

-> An easy way to import objects found through search?

-> Something else?

-> All of the above?

I suppose a few people to test my application would be good. Email me if you are interested.

SOFA_KING

No such list exists on the scanner. The "ARINDEX.DAT" file in the REC directory is just a list of file numbers. It contains no information about the contents of any recordings.

When the PC app is generating the data for its UI, it's opening every .AU file and reading header data.

No list? Why not? Maybe there should be a list. That is what people are asking for. Logging capabilities. So the closest we get to that is the data captured on the recordings, but the software is slow, and is not giving us any way to export all that logged data so we can better analyze it. That is what we are asking for...an "EZ" way to log COMPLETE data and review it. Is that so hard to comprehend?

So rather than point out my lack of understanding on your design, why not just work on giving us what we ask for? You appear to have this resistance to give us better software and tools, and easy to export features. How many times do people have to keep asking for this? Whistler keeps blowing us off with this locked down, PITA to use EZscan garbage...and is not allowing third party development. Do something about it already. It's been many years now!

If you can't make us a better software application, at least let someone else do it. You could sell more scanners. Drop the pride already. It's a dog. Corporate defender fanboys may tell everyone it's just fine the way it is now, but clearly not everyone feels that way, and it won't change their minds telling them that. Many, like myself, dislike its clunky and limited UI. I honestly can't recommend Whistler scanners because of this software, so I don't...and won't until the software gets better. That is what is holding back sales. You see people express that sentiment time and time again. The TRX hardware is pretty good (although we all know the LSM issue is still an unaddressed problem), and we want to like the product, but the software sucks. Lost sales! It won't change until you accept that and give the customers what they want.

Phil

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I more or less already have such solution, I just don't have the front end live.

For informational purposes, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

For me it would simply be a way to export the data from the recording headers into an excel spreadsheet. That way I could sort the data the way I would like to sort the data. On the Unidens, I use ProScan to log the data, and copy and paste the ProScan log into a spread sheet.

Sorting the data via excel just makes things easier to find in the future.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Both. But always Whistler first because it is generally more difficult. Uniden is pretty transparent and "plain text."

Neat, keep us updated, I wonder what will happen with Uniden and NXDN, I'm surprised they didnt add a NXDN decoder along with the DMR update .-.

DonS

For me it would simply be a way to export the data from the recording headers into an excel spreadsheet. That way I could sort the data the way I would like to sort the data. On the Unidens, I use ProScan to log the data, and copy and paste the ProScan log into a spread sheet.

Sorting the data via excel just makes things easier to find in the future.

Here's a little app that will parse all the AU files on the scanner's SD card, dumping data in CSV format.
http://www.starrsoft.com/Public/scanner/AUParse.zip

It's a console app. Open a command window (start -> run -> cmd) and cd to the directory where you unzipped the utility. Run it like this:
AUParse <drive>
where <drive> is the drive letter assigned to the SD card, including the colon. For example, if you put the card in a card reader attached to your PC and Windows assigns "drive F:", you'd enter:
AUParse F:

The output will be dumped to the console. To save it as a file, redirect stdout to a file, like so:
AUParse F: > log.csv

The resulting CSV file should be suitable for loading into Excel.

The utility expects the scanner's REC directory (including ARINDEX.DAT and all subdirectories) to be in the root of the specified drive. That is, it's intended to be aimed at the scanner's SD card.

The utility dumps all fields in the .AU header, except the .AU-specific stuff (magic number, etc.). It puts a header line at the top of the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.