Unauthorized modification to fix hum

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased the latest version of the SDS200 with serial #9800 and noise mitigation factory installed. And again the humming noise was quite evident. So I decided to do Unauthorized modification to see if I would get better results. Using an existing solder point on the bottom side of the LCD shield, I was able to solder a wire and secure a good chassis ground. Mitigation was part removed. I can say that it made a huge difference and I can barely hear any noise coming from an external speaker. I have to put my ear about 2 inches away to hear anything.
I also did a shield to PCB ground using solder but did not hear a difference when compared to the chassis, so I thought this would be the easiest modification.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190821-102649_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190821-102649_Gallery.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 946
  • sds200gnd3.jpg
    sds200gnd3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 906
  • sds200gnd2.jpg
    sds200gnd2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 888
  • sds200gnd7.jpg
    sds200gnd7.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 875
  • sds2006.jpg
    sds2006.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 844

allend

Premium Subscriber
Now I have a question. With this professional fix and thank you for these picture, were you able to finally turn off the "Set Audio Off Time" completley?

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I never messed with it since I got the SDS200. I did check mine and it was set to INFINITE. Where should I leave it at?

allend

Premium Subscriber
Maybe your fix is the best way of fixing this HUM issue to the point where we won't need the "Set Audio Off time"enabled. I am going to work on this fix this weekend with the soldering method. Thanks

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Will leaving the "Audio on" at Infinite wear down the amplified faster?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
*Amplifier....

The SDS series are very unique series, with completely different hardware than any other scanner, thus my question.

kmh603

Under "Edit Profile" then click on Miscellaneous and then click on "Audio Time out" and select 1 second. Then at least while the scanner is scanning for active channels, you won't hear any hum.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
There is no fix to the hum, you should continue to use the term "mitigation"...soldering doesn't even eliminate the hum.

Paul

allend

Premium Subscriber
Well there is no complete 100 percent of the HUM leaving the radio. But the HUM is to the point where you can't really hear it anymore to where is was so annoying that you were going to lose your mind. I just used alot of tin foil and this is my perm fix for now.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
There is no fix to the hum, you should continue to use the term "mitigation"...soldering doesn't even eliminate the hum.

Paul

I think it's a better solution than using the Uniden NMP200. A lot of the variables have been removed, so placement and the amount of contact being applied to the NMP200 is not an issue.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I think it's a better solution than using the Uniden NMP200. A lot of the variables have been removed, so placement and the amount of contact being applied to the NMP200 is not an issue.

There are just a bunch of haters and nobody else has gone the distance to figure out the fix with soldering and taking the radio apart. Thanks for the hardwork and the pictures. I just need to get that X tool and then do the fix.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
There are just a bunch of haters and nobody else has gone the distance to figure out the fix with soldering and taking the radio apart. Thanks for the hardwork and the pictures. I just need to get that X tool and then do the fix.
Thanks allend, I appreciate the kind words.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

No haters out here. Those of us who own the scanner are "cautioning" those who might not be as electronically handy that if they perform any unauthorized modifications on a $700 scanner, and you send it in for a repair within the warranty period, if it's determined that this unauthorized modification caused the issue, then their warranty would be void. As of this moment, the only authorized modification is the mitigation part and the temporary fix is the tin foil.

If you have no reason to send it in for any repair and then harm no foul. You know their will be some who open the scanner and attempt to perform the task mentioned and might cause damage.

But...it would appear this modification would need to be a sent to Uniden for repair. What I could see happening is if you send your scanner in for repair and engineering has determined this or some other modification is the best solution, then quietly perform the modification.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If the hum *really* bothered me, then this is the modification I would perform (or some variation of it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.