Unauthorized Radio On Baltimore Co. Fd

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Just heard on Baltimore County Fire TG 32 (id624) that dispatcher told the fire command working at in the in Sparrows Point area that had a kid playing with on radio on TG 3 (id80). The dispatcher told the command, so would know if he got on that talk group. Just heard that he is on TG 32, but not saying transmitting. I was thought that the group running the system could turn off the radio, if unauthorized.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Communications can send the command to "emasculate" (spelling?) a specific rogue radio.
(Or a radio that has the transmit key down not allowing other communications)

Gary335

I'm pretty sure they did something because I was able to hear the kid(s) on my scanner, but not for very long. Moments after I started hearing them they stopped. So eitehr they got scared and stopped when they heard the dispatcher make reference to them, or else somebody did something to stop their interference.

MDEguy

ok 2 things:

1, I was on this job and heard this as well. I heard while I was there that the radio that is being used to do this is stolen and they are keeping it active in an attempt to get it back. my thoughts are that it better be soon that they get it back due to battery life. I think I heard that it ia s portable off of truck 15, not sure.

2, Little off topic. For those of you that listen and asked some time ago why MDE has all of those radios and you never hear them, that should be changing soon. We obtained Motorola STX5000 radios. Thanks to several people statewide they are being programmed. We currently have in them the following counties, Balt, Harf, QA, Caroline, Carroll, Talbot, Dorchester, Wicomico. The following counties are in the works and waiting on paperwork, AA, Ho, Balt City, Fred, Mont. Just to keep you all up to speed.

jparks29

John McClane
XTS5000, ;) .....

and they should have no problem inhibiting the radio, as long as dispatcher knows how to work his/her console....

MDEguy

jparks29 said:
XTS5000, ;) .....

and they should have no problem inhibiting the radio, as long as dispatcher knows how to work his/her console....

Yes that is the radio that we got....Sorry fat fingers and small keys!

Can they tell which tower the radio is hitting when it is on?

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Baltimore County dispatchers don't have the ability to see which tower the radio is being voted on from their consoles, but from fire dispatch, you can look through the glass window and see the voters in the CEB room. This is only helpful if you know what you're looking at, and usually, radios bounce around between two or three towers during a single transmission, so this may not be too helpful in narrowing down a geographic area.

Baltimore County used to have a guy on the 800mhz comittee who could "hunt" rougue radio users with equipment in his vehicle. I can't remember his name, and I'm not sure if he's even still around, but I know that he did help in the recovery of a few stolen radios in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.