Unauthorized transmissions on OCAPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacscan

I've been hearing someone quick-keying their mike for the past 10 minutes or so on CHP OCAPS (460.375 PL 127.3). Dispatch did a roll call and all units are Code-4.

Dispatch just had a sergeant give him a 10-21, saying that this problem occurred earlier this morning also.

10-95

What is the person saying?? Are they usinge MDC or GE star or any other signalling to ID individual radios?? How did they come to the conclusion it's unauthorized??

sacscan

It was just someone keying their mike over and over again. Less than 1 second between key-ups.

It stopped about 2 or 3 minutes after my initial post.

They didn't say anything on the air about unauthorized transmissions. I was wondering if the constant key-ups were unauthorized, due to the fact that dispatch had officers check their mikes several times, and it didn't sound like your typical open-mike error.

dustin486

I've seen a typical problem here with the state police on their TRS. They were able to track it down to a faulty mic in a mobile radio. It was just keying up and dekeying over and over. The dispatcher was of course able to see the unit id and he just unplugged the mic and it was fine after he got a new mic installed.

So I would say that those are unauthorized transmissions just yet. Normally when someone chooses to break the law by transmitting unauthorized, they will say something. They won't just keep keying up... that probably gets boring after the first 15 seconds. I would say its probably faulty hardware somewhere.

10-95

Years ago here in Raleigh the local PD offciers would ker-chunk the repeater repeatedly to show their displeasure when an officer was told to break off a chase. At that time the mobile radios were not running PTT ID's only the portables were. When they got PTT ID going on the mobiles it stoped happening.

scnnr

It could also be just a bored Officer just sitting there in his car or on his bike, keying up his mike to be a idiot. I have heard it before, it does happen, so don't laugh this comment off.

sony

I have heard a high pitch sound that starts out slow and low volume only to get higher in pitch and sound. This has happened many times.

kma371

QRT
sony said:
I have heard a high pitch sound that starts out slow and low volume only to get higher in pitch and sound. This has happened many times.

SOunds like that could be noise from a vehicles alternator.

Mick

High pitch

Howdy. This is the radio tech testing the radio system. The CHP dispatch and units will switch to an alternate channel while this is going on.

sony said:

Status
Not open for further replies.