Unboxing Video of Home Patrol Scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
So I received my Uniden Home Patrol Scanner today from Jeff at The Ham Station The Hamstation!, Your one stop on-line source for amateur radio fun.
by UPS Overnight. They had a good price and great service as always.Here is the first in a few parts of video and review.
The video is just done quickly on my lunch break and I only just realized I was set for 320 pixels, will do the others in 640 if I can. Enjoy...more on my impressions later. Happy here! Enjoy.

YouTube - Uniden Home Patrol Scanner Unboxing

Tom_G

Thanks, I'll check the videos out later.
I'd be very interested to see how the CSP sounds and also the audio power overall.
I'm hoping it will be loud enough to run in the car without needing an external speaker.

Let us know your thoughts..... Thanks, Tom/G, N1VVD

wise871

Database Admin
Your second video was even better. Just watching it answered a tone of questions I about sites, distance, etc. I love the replay option if you miss what is being said. Thanks Again.

wise871

Database Admin
The HP would look good on my bed room night stand :) Then I could put my BCT15 in the car.

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
Connecting a GPS to the Home Patrol

Now I'm really psyched. Last thing I did on my break for lunch was try to connect a GPS to the Home Patrol.

YouTube - Connecting a Garmin GPS to the Home Patrol Scanner

Parts I used:

Cable that came with Uniden BC-396T (same as XT I believe)

Garmin eTrex Vista- 3 year old GPS with sw ver 3.6
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=163&ra=true

Serial cable for Garmin eTrex Vista (NOT a USB cable like you use with a Garmin eTrex Legend for example- there may also be USB-based Legends out there- I don;t know. I bought this on e at EMS years ago and used the cable for updating maps etc.)
- note that some newer models only have USB- you need one that offers a serial cable that looks like the one in the video or see here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=654

A gender changer that accepts the male RS-232 [I think they're really RS-422 since they're 9 pin but whatever) from the GPS cable on one side and the male serial from the BC-396T on the other side

Boom. That was it. You can see in the video that it doesn't show a "pop-up" like I said because I didn;t wait long enough for the HP to realize the GPS was gone...but initially there is a pop-up and you're asked if you want to use GPS for location.

Here is a link to a $99 US version of eTrex:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705#accessoryTab

This would be the cable for that one:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=654 (note it's the same cable I used. It's worth noting these cables are expensive from Garmin, but they're high quality and have bid toroid cores on them to reduce RFI.

Anyway, I am fired up to try that on a road trip soon and am glad I didn't have to buy anything extra at all.

pwscott

Premium Subscriber
Audio

The audio on CSP (CT State Police) is pretty good. There is still some of that underwater-ish warbly-ness but it's pretty good.
In terms of volume- in a passenger car it will be fine- plenty loud, clear and bassy not tinny.
In an emergency services vehicle you'll want a speaker for it.

Thanks, I'll check the videos out later.
I'd be very interested to see how the CSP sounds and also the audio power overall.
I'm hoping it will be loud enough to run in the car without needing an external speaker.

Let us know your thoughts..... Thanks, Tom/G, N1VVD

Unadan

Premium Subscriber
Looks good! However my inclination would be, as with any new tech, to wait for the second version of the hardware to be released - i.e., Home Patrol 2 (smaller, faster, better screen).

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
The audio on CSP (CT State Police) is pretty good. There is still some of that underwater-ish warbly-ness but it's pretty good.
In terms of volume- in a passenger car it will be fine- plenty loud, clear and bassy not tinny.
In an emergency services vehicle you'll want a speaker for it.

Enough Talking Already.....Lets see a video with the CSP audio......Come on, quit teasing me..........

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.