UNC Chapel Hill granted a new analog license for fire protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4mdz

Correction; 1 location, 285 Manning Drive and then 10km radius around that point.
Estes Drive location is just a control point.

Two things I find more interesting:

1) Licensed for 2 Watts output power, 4.3Watts ERP, 11K0F3D emissions,
2) Contact info on the FCC license page is Carolina Microwave Associates, Cowpens, SC.

What the heck? Who is that, and how are they traveling so far afield to put in a single 2 watt repeater?

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
My thoughts if its low VHF UHF its for building penetration.

Guess not if its UHF, thought itll still do better than 800. Its probably more for the campus fire marshals, as I dont think the university has a real fire department, they use city of Chapel Hills FD. I know NCSU has just fire marshals for comparison as well (they respond to everything but dont do anything); so probably setup the same way.

Flyham

My thoughts if its low VHF UHF its for building penetration.

Guess not if its UHF, thought itll still do better than 800. Its probably more for the campus fire marshals, as I dont think the university has a real fire department, they use city of Chapel Hills FD. I know NCSU has just fire marshals for comparison as well (they respond to everything but dont do anything); so probably setup the same way.

Subjective at best.

mcrabtree

Chapel Hill Fire runs all fire alarms to UNC campus with rare help from UNC. I’m not really sure what this is for. CHFD uses viper and we have hard time some times getting reception in buildings. I haven’t heard of any news of going to another radio system. We have a mobile repeater for the viper network that’s in the battalion car and direct radio to radio channels for better reception

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
Is this the "talk back" channel for those little Emergency Call Boxes that have the blue lights on top?

You see them scattered around campus in the parking lots, etc.

Flyham

Chapel Hill Fire runs all fire alarms to UNC campus with rare help from UNC. I’m not really sure what this is for. CHFD uses viper and we have hard time some times getting reception in buildings. I haven’t heard of any news of going to another radio system. We have a mobile repeater for the viper network that’s in the battalion car and direct radio to radio channels for better reception

If only the mobile repeater (VRS / DVRS / Suitcase repeaters) and "direct" channels where the modus operandi across the board.
Sigh!

Status
Not open for further replies.