UNC Greensboro police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sXe77

Hey all,

Does anyone know what freq UNCG Police uses? I believe they have a dedicated frequency. Also, I know they monitor/use some Greensboro PD frequencies for the districts/zones UNCG is a part of, anyone have any info?

Thanks a lot!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR.com! :)
UNCG PD operates on the GSO/Guilford County Trunked System.
Which means you are going to need a trunking capable scanner to monitor their
Talkgroups. I am sure others will chime in with additional info.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

t7ri3g

Premium Subscriber
They use the Greensoboro 800 trunked system in analog mode. Talkgroups are:

13552 Primary Dispatch- quite active day and night; you would be surprised how many cars they stop
13584 Channel 2- Used for occasional unit to unit traffic
13616 Channel 3- Typically only used for special events like move-in
6704 Channel 4- I don't recall hearing any traffic on this talkgroup

Thomas in Greensboro

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
UNCG 4 is actually used quite often. I would program them all.

The good news is, for right now, UNCG is analog so if only UNCG is what you want to listen to than an analog scanner will do. Eventually everything will become digital (requiring a digital scanner) but thats a little ways down the road.

UNCG is in the GPD District 1/Central zone.

Last edited:

sXe77

They use the Greensoboro 800 trunked system in analog mode. Talkgroups are:

13552 Primary Dispatch- quite active day and night; you would be surprised how many cars they stop
13584 Channel 2- Used for occasional unit to unit traffic
13616 Channel 3- Typically only used for special events like move-in
6704 Channel 4- I don't recall hearing any traffic on this talkgroup

Thomas in Greensboro

It's true about how much the department actually does... I did a ride along with them recently, within a minute the officer had arrested a crack dealer.

Kendrik, so if I want to program this stuff into my RadioShack Pro-135, how would I go about programming those four channels? As of right now I'm only seeing how to put in specific frequencies.

Thanks for the replies!

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
It's true about how much the department actually does... I did a ride along with them recently, within a minute the officer had arrested a crack dealer.

Kendrik, so if I want to program this stuff into my RadioShack Pro-135, how would I go about programming those four channels? As of right now I'm only seeing how to put in specific frequencies.

Thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately this scanner will not work. You will need a trunking capable scanner. If you just want to just monitor UNCG and all other analog (EMS, Fire, Sheriff) than a good starting scanner that you could get cheap would be a pro-97. But do keep in mind, in the future this scanner will not do you any good because everything will become digital requiring a digital scanner. Once you get this scanner il be happy to help you get it setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
how would I go about programming those four channels? As of right now I'm only seeing how to put in specific frequencies.

That would be do to the fact that the Pro-135 is a conventional (non-trunking) scanner.
It can not follow a specific talkgroup/user.
You would need to purchase a trunking capable scanner, preferably a digital capable one since GSO/Guilford has plans to move to all digital format (as Kendrik correctly states above).
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately this scanner will not work. You will need a trunking capable scanner. If you just want to just monitor UNCG and all other analog (EMS, Fire, Sheriff) than a good starting scanner that you could get cheap would be a pro-97. Once you get this scanner il be happy to help you get it setup.

Dangit :D you were just a little too fast.
That's what I get for paying more attention to my Clemson Tigers put a whoopin' on UNC.
Marshall KE4ZNR

sXe77

Ahhh boooo on that..:)

Agreed... UNC fan here. :/ Gotta give Clemson credit though, that Tiger offense is sharp.

Hahaha, so I'm still having my posts screened due to being a new member - I realized I didn't have a trunking scanner as soon as I posted that, but I couldn't go back and edit it...

I just picked up a Pro-94 from eBay for $25 (which seemed like a decent deal to me), so I guess I'll be able to use that until they switch to digital. Hopefully that won't be for at least a little while.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Agreed... UNC fan here. :/ Gotta give Clemson credit though, that Tiger offense is sharp.

Hahaha, so I'm still having my posts screened due to being a new member - I realized I didn't have a trunking scanner as soon as I posted that, but I couldn't go back and edit it...

I just picked up a Pro-94 from eBay for $25 (which seemed like a decent deal to me), so I guess I'll be able to use that until they switch to digital. Hopefully that won't be for at least a little while.

Im sorry i forgot to mention also, they are currently rebanding the system and it will be fully rebanded very soon and this scanner can not handle rebanding. So, this scanner most likely will not do you any good either. You will probably want to look into the Pro-164. This is an analog scanner and can handle rebanding.

sXe77

Turns out the Pro-94 sale fell through (seller had to give me a refund), so it turned out to be a non-issue anyway.

I just picked up a Pro-164 on eBay for $89.99 (good deal?) and it'll be here Monday. Hopefully I'll be able to get things up and running then.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Turns out the Pro-94 sale fell through (seller had to give me a refund), so it turned out to be a non-issue anyway.

I just picked up a Pro-164 on eBay for $89.99 (good deal?) and it'll be here Monday. Hopefully I'll be able to get things up and running then.

I would say yes.

Once you get it im sure you will find the RS manual pretty useless so here is a better and much easier to read manual. This scanner is pretty much identical to my pro-97 so if you get stuck let me know and il do my best to help you out.

sXe77

Hey all,

I got my Pro-164 in and I think I programmed the channel right - I put in 856.48650 as the overall/primary channel and then put 13552, 13584, 13616, and 6704 as IDs. I have it on Mot:none mode. I stored all of this in bank 001 (it says Amateur 6M Call, pri, dly, lo, and +)

But how do I get it to scan those four frequencies? Do I leave it on manual mode or do I need to go into scan mode? When it's scanning it's not clear what it's doing and I'm not sure how to input what bank I want it to scan.

Any ideas? I THINK I'm on the right track with all of this haha.

Last edited:

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Right now the current cc is 860.7625. You want to program all the alt CC as they change time to time. I tell you what, if you want to shoot me your number i could give you call and try and help you out.

EDIT: And a good time to call

Last edited:

sXe77

Figured it out! After several hours of messing with this thing I've finally got it to where it just scans those four IDs. I really appreciate the advice Kendrik, thanks!

sXe77

Well, I take part of that back. I'm able to do an ID hold on just dispatch so that I can listen to that, but I'm not sure it's scanning just those four IDs. Seems like it's maybe missing some stuff because it's trying to scan too much. How do I get it to just scan those four talkgroups?

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Well, I take part of that back. I'm able to do an ID hold on just dispatch so that I can listen to that, but I'm not sure it's scanning just those four IDs. Seems like it's maybe missing some stuff because it's trying to scan too much. How do I get it to just scan those four talkgroups?

You probably want to put it in its own bank. Im assuming you have those TG in the list that came pre-programmed with stuff?

nitroboie

You probably need to switch to "closed" mode so that it only monitors those four talkgroup ID's. Press FUNC, then DELAY to switch between open/closed mode while the scanner is on that bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.