Under Eave Antenna Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sccafire

I am buying a new house that will have cement tile on the roof so walking on it will not happen. Does anybody know of a good under eave mount for a Diamond X50A with about 6'Mast that will support the weight of everything? I have seen some for satellite dishes but do not know if that will hold the weight. I have also seen the ones that attach near the peak of the roof. I will not be able to use that type due to the orientation of the house.

Thanks in advance,

prcguy

I am familiar with that mount since one of my work mates designed it and its a real beast. The eave mount with the standard Slimline "J " pole mast is very strong and I would not have a problem mounting a 15ft or so lightweight fiberglass antenna to it but you would have to evaluate a longer mast with antenna on top.

I think the weak spot would be the junction of the J pole foot and mast but its designed to withstand a 30" or so dish in high winds and stay on the satellite.
prcguy

Now why could I not find that when I was looking? Do you think the 2ft will be long enough or should I plan on adding to it?

LtDoc

An under eave mount is just not going to be the 'best' you can do in almost any circumstance It may be better than nothing, but don't expect a lot of performance. The best place you can put any antenna is away from everything and as high as you can get it. You have to be practical so sometimes that 'away from everything' just isn't possible. Do what you can. No matter what band you want to use, higher is better. No way around that, it's just a fact.
If you have to 'hide' an antenna then you gotta do what you gotta do. In most cases, hiding an antenna is going to cut down on performance. But, if you gotta then you gotta, do th best you can. Or, take the other stance and let -them- worry about it and not you. That's not always possible so, what ever it takes, you know?
Have fun.
- 'Doc

prcguy

The mount in question screws to the underside of the eves but provides a mast that sticks above the roof.
prcguy

An under eave mount is just not going to be the 'best' you can do in almost any circumstance It may be better than nothing, but don't expect a lot of performance. The best place you can put any antenna is away from everything and as high as you can get it. You have to be practical so sometimes that 'away from everything' just isn't possible. Do what you can. No matter what band you want to use, higher is better. No way around that, it's just a fact.
If you have to 'hide' an antenna then you gotta do what you gotta do. In most cases, hiding an antenna is going to cut down on performance. But, if you gotta then you gotta, do th best you can. Or, take the other stance and let -them- worry about it and not you. That's not always possible so, what ever it takes, you know?
Have fun.
- 'Doc

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Is there a reason standoff wall mounts for an antenna mast couldn't be used? The standoff mast brackets come in various lengths.... you'd need them long enough to clear the eave. I actually use two longer ones on the wall, then one at the top of the eave/gable so that the mast is attached at three points: two along the wall, the third on the peak of the eave. Like this:
ROHN Products, LLC - Antenna Wall Mounts - Find Lightweight Tower and Mast Wall Mounts
Or these:
Antenna Mast Mount | eBay
About $30 from every antenna accessories store / home store that sells antennas.

Sccafire

Have fun.
- 'Doc

I totally understand what you're saying but I am trying to be a nice neighbor at the same time.

In the picture below I will be in lot #16. Out the back of me is open acreage with no planned development as of yet. The land owner at this time is not wanting to sell his property. I was thinking of just putting the antenna on the back of the house to keep it more out of sight. I was just thinking of making it high enough to at least clear the roof ridgeline. I don't need it 100 feet in the air. One of my buddies suggested to contact the land owner and ask if I could put up a tower on his property. For my needs as of now I think that is a bit much.

Attachments

• Plot%20Map_Sorrento_website.jpg
    Plot%20Map_Sorrento_website.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,249

Sccafire

Any deed restrictions, or HOA rules?
Larry

Nope no HOA's. I do have CC&R's

CC&R's state:

No owner shall install any antenna, satilite dish or other over-the-air receiving device that is of a size larger than permitted inder title 47 U.S.C. 1 et seq.. 47 CFR 1.4000 and any other Aplicable Laws or rules or descisions promulagated with respecct thereto.

California has a modified PRB-1. In 2003 bill AB1228 by Dutton wich reads:

SECTION 1. Section 65850.3 is added to the Government Code, to
read:
65850.3. Any ordinance adopted by the legislative body of a city or county that regulates amateur radio station antenna structures shall allow those structures to be erected at heights and dimensions sufficient to accommodate amateur radio service communications, shall not preclude amateur radio service communications, shall reasonably accommodate amateur radio service communications, and shall constitute the minimum practicable regulation to accomplish the city's or county's legitimate purpose.

Yeah I have done some research. Just want to dot all my I's and cross all my T's.

All I want to do is one verticle 2m/70cm antenna. I don't want an antenna farm on my house.

Tom_G

I have the X-50 on my house and its not that big at all. (And it works quite well)

Do you know what "title 47 U.S.C. 1 et seq.. 47 CFR 1.4000" states for permitted size?

LtDoc

It sounds like you are legally 'covered' so just put up an antenna and see what happens.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.