undercover operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlec1

Police often use freqs of other agencies in the middle of the nite to conduct stings for example the freqs the local school districts use for school buses. The school distric never uses them in the middle of the nite so the cops take them over cause they know criminals monitor their normal channels.
Alot of patience and hit and miss is how I discoverd this

jim202

Just who's side are you guys on? There has been a number of threads on here about police use of
channels for swat and undercover work. To those that give a hoot about the safety of your forces,
these channels are best left to yourself if you happen to stumble across them.

If you think it gives you a big thrill to post them on here, think again. How would you like it if the
bad guys know the cops are coming and lay in ambush for them. Guess who is to blame for getting
someone killed? If I was on the receiving end, my first move would be to track down the poster
from this site and charge them with the crime of aiding and abetting, maybe even murder.

You need to think twice about any of these covert channels you might stumble across. You need
to think about the long range results that you may cause. You need to think about the lives at
stake here. All for seeing your name on a post, I don't think it is worth it. Your just putting peoples
lives at risk. The bad guys have learned about this site.

Jim

Nasby

In this day and age, even the most cash starved agencies should have an easy time of using unmonitorable frequencies for sensitive/covert ops. Nextel, digital encryption, etc. comes to mind.
I seldom hear anything sensitive in my neck of the woods on analog or digital. I do catch some funny traffic on side channels and/or public works channels from time to time. Usually, its just the cops talking about where they are going to eat or something similar.
There was a recent article in my local paper about a group of burglars who used a cell phone connected to the internet, connected to the live feeds of the local police. Sure didn't help them though. They were quickly apprehended after breaking into the first house they hit. A neighbor called in their description. Guess they didn't know what to listen for. Ha!

evlec1

Then you might as well go after all the sites that post police codes and their definitions cause after all a criminal useing a scanner can be listening to the police and not even know their at his front door if he doesn't understand police codes and signals.
The information I provided I learned from "chain searching" frq 2 frq

N8IAA

Then you might as well go after all the sites that post police codes and their definitions cause after all a criminal useing a scanner can be listening to the police and not even know their at his front door if he doesn't understand police codes and signals.The information I provided I learned from "chain searching" frq 2 frq

Plus, you didn't even post the frequencies, or, where you are:D
Larry

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Just who's side are you guys on? There has been a number of threads on here about police use of
channels for swat and undercover work. To those that give a hoot about the safety of your forces,
these channels are best left to yourself if you happen to stumble across them.

If you think it gives you a big thrill to post them on here, think again. How would you like it if the
bad guys know the cops are coming and lay in ambush for them. Guess who is to blame for getting
someone killed? If I was on the receiving end, my first move would be to track down the poster
from this site and charge them with the crime of aiding and abetting, maybe even murder.

You need to think twice about any of these covert channels you might stumble across. You need
to think about the long range results that you may cause. You need to think about the lives at
stake here. All for seeing your name on a post, I don't think it is worth it. Your just putting peoples
lives at risk. The bad guys have learned about this site.

Jim

Get off your soapbox..its not like he said "hey ABC police is using school district 123's bus freq to do a sting" Get real

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Can't say I've seen this done before where I live, but It's a clever idea nonetheless.

I agree with the above posters that nothing specific was revealed,so discretion was used in posting this tip.

Welcome to RadioReference evlec1 :)

evlec1

Just so everyones aware this was my very first thread ive ever posted. I didnt think my post would cause this much controversy. Everything I know about phreaking police scanners I learned from a book I bought at Radio Shack called "Police Call" and alot of hours of "chain searching" wide ranges of freqs.
IT WASANT VERY HARD TO FIGURE OUT ! lol
A few years ago I figured out what freqs can pick up cellular voice mails and so forth.
.Thank you to those in support of me and a quack quack to those who dont. :)

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
In my experience 99% of what we use for covert operations such as body mics and hidden bugs are 1 watt or less, so unless your very very close to the operation, like inside the parking lot of the very hotel we are using or 1 or 2 houses down from a dope deal you will hear nothing.
On a TRS everything my agency uses for undercover or dope work is digital and encrypted.
For multijurisdictional work we have used a suitcase repeater (mobile repeater) which is also capable of encrypted, digital or analog.
Since the advent of more advanced digital comms I have only run into one bad guy with a scanner even capable of monitoring a digital system and he had no idea how to use it (it was stolen)
Back in the days of VHF repeaters we did see more scanners but again, unless they were the target and very very close to the operation they had no idea.
We also use Nextel group talk at least half of the time which isnt monitorable. .

evlec1

Thank you for the info officer I didnt realize I was in the thick of things as you would say.
The cities I monitor are Richmond California and Pittsburg California to of the worst cities in all of Northern California

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
I work on the east coast so I have no idea how officer view things out there. The way I look at is, if its that important then an agency should choose to encrypt it or use a method with is not monitorable. We assume that there is always a criminal listening and conduct ourselves accordingly. I know that criminals with scanners are rare, at least in my experience, but we still operate as if.

hoser147

Believe me when I say your not the first one that created the same controversy so no big deal. It comes up on about every thread like yours. You might catch a little extra chatter on the side freqs but most agencies know quite well that they are monitored and will protect any sensitive traffic that they have. Dont let this shy ya away from the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.