Understanding how to program Talkgroups in my Uniden BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokyoblue

Good morning everyone,
I am a newbie to using my BCD996T scanner.I have went through and figured out how to add freqs.I am still in a cloud when it
comes to talkgroups.Been looking through the manual,but I cannt find anything on how to set that up.If someone could point me in the
right direction on that I would appreciate it. And on a side note, I have experienced the simucast distortion that I have read about and I
have read that a higher price scanner which is currently available can fix that issue.

.I am still in a cloud when it
comes to talkgroups.
Talk groups are groups of radios with a similar purpose. Like Police, Fire, Public Works, etc.

Check out the "Easier to Read " manual

Also, make sure you are in "ID Scan" mode to hear the groups you have programmed.

ID Search mode will scann ALL of the talk groups and you will hear everything on the system.

Good luck!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If you are having true SIMULCAST problems you have 2 options a UNIDEN SDS100 or UNIDEN SDS200 SCANNER or a
UNICATION G5 PAGER. There will be some that come in and say a lesser scanner works great but you already have a lesser scanner and it does not work so if you want a scanner UNIDEN SDSxxx or if a pager with less than scanner features will work then the UNICATION G5 all 3 cost about the same money.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you have ARC996, ProScan, or FreeSCAN software, please attach your programming file and I will check it for problems. What is your city, county, and state so I can check out your local systems? I have a 996T in my collection of scanners.

Tokyoblue

Talk groups are groups of radios with a similar purpose. Like Police, Fire, Public Works, etc.

Check out the "Easier to Read " manual

Also, make sure you are in "ID Scan" mode to hear the groups you have programmed.

ID Search mode will scann ALL of the talk groups and you will hear everything on the system.

Good luck!

Thanks again for the information!!

Tokyoblue

If you have ARC996, ProScan, or FreeSCAN software, please attach your programming file and I will check it for problems. What is your city, county, and state so I can check out your local systems? I have a 996T in my collection of scanners.

I live in Columbus, Ohio..I dont have the cable needed to program using the software you mentioned.I need to get me one.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Last edited:

Tokyoblue

The FreeSCAN software is FREE! Since the 996T will not do DMR or NXDN, FreeSCAN is all you need. Here is the link for downloading it: Downloads - Sixspot Software Do you have the cable that came with the scanner which will not work with USB ports? In that case, you can use this adapter: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...l-adapter-cable-black/5883029.p?skuId=5883029

My pc doesnt have that connection in the back to accept that type of cable..I will go online and find a updated one with USB and the smaller connection.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The cable that came with the scanner is a RS232 cable. The small end inserts into the front of the scanner and the large end is a DB9 connector to fit the RS232 ports on older computers. If your computer has a standard (not mini or micro) USB port, the serial adapter goes between the USB port on your computer and the DB9 connector on the scanner cable..

Last edited:

Tokyoblue

The cable that came with the scanner is a RS232 cable. The small end inserts into the front of the scanner and the large end is a DB9 connector to fit the RS232 ports on older computers. If your computer has a USB port, the serial adapter goes between the USB port on your computer and the DB9 connector on the scanner cable..

Hi..I dont have that cable..I am looking online for a replacement. Looks like I saw one for 25 dollars. This is the one that goes from the front of the scanner and turns into a USB connection at the other end.
as-l1600.jpg

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you don't have the original cable, you will need a usb to rs232 converter cable which will fit the front connector on the scanner.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Hi..I dont have that cable..I am looking online for a replacement. Looks like I saw one for 25 dollars. This is the one that goes from the front of the scanner and turns into a USB connection at the other end.

That cable will NOT fit the connector on the front of the BCD996T... trying to insert that into your scanner will likely damage it.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
If you are having simulcast issues you can try a couple of things with the 996T. One is to use a LESS efficient antenna, even a paper clip, the idea is to reduce the number of sites in the simulcast system that you are receiving. You can also try attenuation, hold on the simulcast site, press the dot/no key and then press 7. These might cause problems if you're monitoring other systems. Another thing to look into is to see if you can receive a non-simulcast site on the same system that also has the talkgroups you're interested. My 996T has no trouble with the simulcast system I monitor, my guess is that I'm in an area that receives one site, the only thing I do is use the stock antenna which is not the best antenna. I also have a non-simulcast site I can monitor that carries the talkgroups I'm interested in so I'm covered if simulcast issues ever become a problem.

Tokyoblue

If you are having simulcast issues you can try a couple of things with the 996T. One is to use a LESS efficient antenna, even a paper clip, the idea is to reduce the number of sites in the simulcast system that you are receiving. You can also try attenuation, hold on the simulcast site, press the dot/no key and then press 7. These might cause problems if you're monitoring other systems. Another thing to look into is to see if you can receive a non-simulcast site on the same system that also has the talkgroups you're interested. My 996T has no trouble with the simulcast system I monitor, my guess is that I'm in an area that receives one site, the only thing I do is use the stock antenna which is not the best antenna. I also have a non-simulcast site I can monitor that carries the talkgroups I'm interested in so I'm covered if simulcast issues ever become a problem.

Thanks for the reply.. I live in Columbus Ohio and per radio reference we have a few simulcast towers.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is a FreeSCAN file with Columbus Fire, EMS, and Police to see how well your scanner works with the simulcast system. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with FreeSCAN and Upload Programming. Highlight Erase All Systems & Settings and Start Upload. Quick keys as follows:

System Quick Key
1. MARCS Columbus (Site)
Group Quick Keys
1. Columbus Fire
2. Columbus EMS
3. Columbus Police

Attachments

• Columbus OH.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.