understanding offset/directional shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrook

Hello to all,
I belong to a group near Heilwood, PA that uses 462.300 PL91.5
Can anyone tell me more on how to figure out my offset/directional shift?

dcrook

So with Tx being 467.300 and the Rx being 462.300 will I need thr PL on both frequencies? Also would this be a positive shift?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hello to all,
I belong to a group near Heilwood, PA that uses 462.300 PL91.5
Can anyone tell me more on how to figure out my offset/directional shift?
Also, check your group's FCC license for that frequency. The offset frequency should be listed there as well.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If the repeater talk-in frequency is 5Mhz higher, that is a positive shift. (A negative shift is that the talk-in frequency is lower than the repeater talk-out frequency).

PL tones are up to the repeater's owner and there are no hard and fast rules. I've seen some who use a PL tone for talk-in but not on the primary output. I've seen some where PL tones are used for both talk-in and talk-out. Where PL tones are used on both, they can be the same or different. (Some times talk-in and talk-out are different just to control who is using the repeater, but any ham worth his salt will figure that out in a matter of minutes).

ecps92

He is asking about a Part 90 Business License, not Amateur

If the repeater talk-in frequency is 5Mhz higher, that is a positive shift. (A negative shift is that the talk-in frequency is lower than the repeater talk-out frequency).

PL tones are up to the repeater's owner and there are no hard and fast rules. I've seen some who use a PL tone for talk-in but not on the primary output. I've seen some where PL tones are used for both talk-in and talk-out. Where PL tones are used on both, they can be the same or different. (Some times talk-in and talk-out are different just to control who is using the repeater, but any ham worth his salt will figure that out in a matter of minutes).

millrad

Premium Subscriber
My advice is to PL encode the transmit side and leave the receive side open, insuring that you'll always hear transmissions.. As an experiment, you can also put the PL tone on the receive frequency and see if it decodes. On many business radios, the receive PL is on when the mic is in the clip and comes off when the mic is removed from the clip.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If a repeater is involved, you want to do the exact opposite--require a tone on the input of the repeater to prevent random static or other spurious signals from activating the repeater unintentionally, and needlessly tying up the frequency.

cmdrwill

The group you belong to should tell you how to program your radio.

Assuming they know how to program 'a' radio.......

On the OP's radio:

462.300 Receive PL 91.5 AKA CTCSS
467.300 Transmit PL 91.5 AKA CTCSS

462.300 Talkaround TX PL 91.5

ecps92

And maybe there is No Offset, as they could be licensed for Simplex Only too..

For the OP, what is the FCC Licensed Call sign ??
Assuming they know how to program 'a' radio.......

On the OP's radio:

462.300 Receive PL 91.5 AKA CTCSS
467.300 Transmit PL 91.5 AKA CTCSS

462.300 Talkaround TX PL 91.5

Status
Not open for further replies.