Understanding radio "jargon?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if someone had an online resource for radio codes and such (police fire and ems.) and an example, on the NORCOM automated dispatch it says Pack-1 everytime it says something, i am wondering what stuff like that means. also, i am a total noobie to this, so please don't get mad when it is obvious (to you).

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Police, fire and EMS signal codes can vary from state to state and even between counties and towns within a state. While there are certain codes that are fairly common it would be hard to give a definitive list for something of that nature.

JamesPrine

I was a policeman for over 33 years. New Orleans. Also worked part-time as a United Cab driver. Learning the various codes is like learning a new language. We used to issue 'code cards' to new people fresh out of the Academy; one side for Signal Codes, and the other for 10-codes. It took a while to absorb them and their permutations. Seems no one used the same codes, so it could be a bit of a challenge sometimes. Try to get a code card for the agency you like to monitor, though these days, quite a few agencies are going to 'plain language' comms, which clearly negates the entire concept of why we used brevity codes in the first place. But tech has advanced so much, too... When I was a 'defective', mostly we stuck with cell phones and off the regular police radios.

im800mhz

Robovoice is actually saying TAC-1. It's the response talkgroup.

doovenator

Premium Subscriber
Robovoice is actually saying TAC-1. It's the response talkgroup.
That's exactly what I was thinking as well. I've been in busy area's and the TAC number will change.

As far as Jargon goes, HBD is a common one I've heard and used to think they were saying HPD, like a police department... its "Has Been Drinking". There's still some I'm not sure of, and will need to ask some deputies I know if I can remember to, one is if they're checking someone and dispatch returns with a "Frank" or "Mary"... I've heard Mary used as a term for motorcycle unit numbers so maybe it means someone has a motorcycle endorsement? but thats just a guess, I have no idea about "Frank" though.

j86u

That's exactly what I was thinking as well. I've been in busy area's and the TAC number will change.

As far as Jargon goes, HBD is a common one I've heard and used to think they were saying HPD, like a police department... its "Has Been Drinking". There's still some I'm not sure of, and will need to ask some deputies I know if I can remember to, one is if they're checking someone and dispatch returns with a "Frank" or "Mary"... I've heard Mary used as a term for motorcycle unit numbers so maybe it means someone has a motorcycle endorsement? but thats just a guess, I have no idea about "Frank" though.

I've heard Frank or Mary used when someone has a Felony or Misdemeanor warrant, maybe WSP.

code3kid

All law enforcement agencies that I’ve scanned in WA use Frank or Mary if the subject returns with a felony warrant (Frank) or misdemeanor (Mary) this is for officer safety so that the subject doesn’t do something stupid if they hear felony or misdemeanor on the officer’s radio.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Police, fire and EMS signal codes can vary from state to state and even between counties and towns within a state. While there are certain codes that are fairly common it would be hard to give a definitive list for something of that nature.
Virtually everything in our city is on one radio system (Project 25 Phase II). That includes a police department, a fire department a sheriff's department, a city marshal's office, a state university, a state technical college, a regional airport, the city bus system and a prison, in addition to public works-type functions (90 talk groups). None use the same "jargon." The only thing in common is a public safety "tactical) talk group that is on every public safety radio. As confusing as it seems to be, everything works just fine.

sabot7726

For NORCOM that's correct, M for misdemeanor and F for felony. You'll hear something like "NORCOM unit 2K4, Mary" which is the officer's queue that misdemeanor warrant information follows.

NORCOM uses Locution for the automatic fire dispatch voicing. You'll hear something like "Aid-Emergency, Tac-1, A1 M1, What the Pho, 10680 NE 8th St" or, "Call type, radio channel, unit(s), common name, address".

Status
Not open for further replies.