Unfounded mayday calls Coast Guard Albany area

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Coast Guard receives channel 16 mayday call with no subsequent responses, no vessel name, no position nor nature of distress. Multiple fire departments with area along the river are dispatched with no results

This is not the first time I've heard the response of a mayday call that happens somewhat in the same time frame around midnight. Unfounded mayday calls on marine channel 16 in the Albany area. The few I've heard were near midnight. Possibly more? Has anyone else heard similar? I have only monitored the response of the few so far. It's my opinion someone is periodically transmitting fake mayday calls on ch 16 in the Albany area and possibly enjoying the response

This time the Coast Guard dispatched a helicopter from Cape Cod nearly 200 miles away, after the FD's searched packed up and went home. Arriving on scene at 3am, 3 hours after the incident and searching the area 25 miles north of Albany along the Hudson River and searching around 50 miles west of Albany along the Mohawk River

Coast Guard Cape Cod 6039 C6039 Flight Tracking and History 20-Oct-2021 - FlightAware

Also noted activity on Coast Guard Albany 162.325 encrypted P25 traffic during the duration of the search. ID: 1379109

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It happens from time to time in the Philly area on the Delaware River or the Schuylkill River but unless they have specific information and confirmation they don't respond in force. They may do a pon pon every half hour for a while asking all vessels to keep a sharp lookout for any signs of distress and report any sightings to sector Delaware Bay but unless they have specific details they don't launch boats or a chopper.

These prank calls are too common for them to have the resources to respond unless they have specific contact and details. It probably happens up and down the East Coast all the time. Interesting post.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Yes a pon pon was done each time I've heard for the few hours after the incident. Surprising a chopper launched this time especially from Cape Cod, 1 hour after FD cleared they launched, 1 hour in transit at 3am. Last time I personally heard was earlier this year I believe, same circumstances, a single mayday with no response after a single call. They did not launch a chopper that time. That time police along the river inquired a state police chopper only a few miles away at KALB but request denied.

The Hudson River and Mohawk north of Albany at midnight is not what I'd believe to be a major traffic'd waterway at this time of the year, and there are many locks, which is more unusual as the navigation season of NYS Canals who operates the locks is closed, nonetheless the CG has towers in Troy for rescue 21

Last edited:

NuthinFancy

Premium Subscriber
I heard it last night, the search spanned from Albany all the way up to Stillwater. with such a large area on the river to search it had to be a prank how can you not know some what of where you are with all the bridges and other landmarks along the river. they did say they saw some juveniles down near the river at the time.

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber
I heard it last night, the search spanned from Albany all the way up to Stillwater. with such a large area on the river to search it had to be a prank how can you not know some what of where you are with all the bridges and other landmarks along the river. they did say they saw some juveniles down near the river at the time.

they had agencies from saratoga albany and rensselaer counties tied up until about 130-2am i fell asleep shortly after 1am.
@bob550 more than likely you are correct. just cant help to wonder why though?

k2hz

Database Admin
What a monumental waste of resources just so some idiot can get his jollies. I hate to say this, but I'll wager that the culprit is a scanner owner and just sat there listening to all the resulting radio traffic.
More likely a Cheap Chinese Radio owner so he could generate the havoc as well as listening to the results.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Let's also consider the possibility that morons like this are reading these threads and getting off to seeing their antics being discussed. Probably best not to give them any additional attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.