Uni346xt & ck edacs

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossfire291

I just got my new Uni 346XT in. I'm currently trying to set it up, but this new way of setting up for scanning is new to me. So, I'm looking for help.

I looked in the Database, and can't find the type of EDACS system Chatham-Kent is on. I swear I saw it somewhere, but can't find it again. Is is Conventional, Wide or Narrow? There is all sorts of stuff in the scanner, when trying to program, or whatever it is I'm trying to do, that I have no clue where to find information on.

Any help would be great.

VE3JSO

all that i see when i check the database that it is edacs standard like the lambton only diff is the provoice

Halliganfan

Premium Subscriber
Though I am not overly versed in this form of scanning. I just purchased the same unit a few weeks ago, as i have not scanned this way either, let alone scanned for a while....GREAT radio if you dont want or have a requierment for digital (police are provoice in Ottawa & OPP are very boring). The Chatham-Kent EDACS is a standard system with analog and digital. You will not be able to get a majority of police or anything pro-voice for that matter.

That being said I use freescan you can locate it in RR or google it. This makes programing very very painless, esp if you get a RR membership and just download from the RR directly them import into our 346XT. With freescan you can also program conventional Freq\s as well. Manual programing is not very difficult, but why look at the tiny screen, with freescan you can also use files like profiles depending on what you want to do. I also like the interface for computer based scanning.

One word of advice (unless you have a comp that has a serial port) get the USB programing cable, makes life a bit easier. Just ensure the appropriate driver is installed prior to even inserting the cable.

But again GREAT radio with alot of nice features for sure. My main uses are RAIL,AIR,AIR MIL COM,FIRE, PUBLIC SAFETY,TRANSIT, and other....

crossfire291

I did manages to play around for a few hours last night, and thought I had things figured out. I have CK Fire programmed in, but don't seem to be getting anything. I just a tone out for Chatham on the live feed, and my scanner did nothing. I know I'm able to pic up fire, because I managed to get 154.6800, and 414.137 plugged in just in time to heard the 6pm test pages yesterday.

I have a computer with a serial port, but it is so slow you can't even bring up a web page in a timely fashion.

At the moment I'm concentrating on CK Fire, and want to make sure that is in the scanner, and working properly. After that, I may need some more insight into getting EMS for CK, and or lambton up and running.

crossfire291

The other things I don't understand, is what LCN, DEC, AFS are. These seem like they would be essential in some way, to the operation of the EDACS system. If I'm not mistaken, they are used for trunktracking?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
The other things I don't understand, is what LCN, DEC, AFS are. These seem like they would be essential in some way, to the operation of the EDACS system. If I'm not mistaken, they are used for trunktracking?

In 'laymens terms"

LCN means that in order to follow this system you have to put the frequencies the same exact order as you see them listed or else it wont work. I am sure there is a better more scientific, way to explain this but anyone here can jump right in and do so.

The other terms can best be explained in the wiki:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/EDACS_Talkgroup_Conversions>

gwtc199

Hey crossfire, if you would like some help maybe we could meet, and a can give you some tips and some freescan files for your scanner, PM me if your interested

crossfire291

I was just in Chatham, and decided to stay for Fire's evening test pages. I held on 414.1375 unit the test pages started, then hit scan. As soon as I did that, nothing. Not a sound from the scanner. I thought it could be the squelch, but obviously that isn't it. Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Do I maybe have to put all the freqs in, and in order they appear in the database?

The wiki has helped a bit, and I was using it last night. However; The explanations don't do much good when I haven't a clue about what I need, and don't need. Among other things too.

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

crossfire291 said:
I was just in Chatham, and decided to stay for Fire's evening test pages. I held on 414.1375 unit the test pages started, then hit scan. As soon as I did that, nothing. Not a sound from the scanner. I thought it could be the squelch, but obviously that isn't it. Any ideas on what the issue may be?

Do I maybe have to put all the freqs in, and in order they appear in the database?

The wiki has helped a bit, and I was using it last night. However; The explanations don't do much good when I haven't a clue about what I need, and don't need. Among other things too.

Do you hear a grinding sound on the control channels? If you can't you need a better antenna than the one you are using.

Secondly, did you enter in the frequencies in the exact order that you see it in the database? It will not work if you don't.

Thirdly, be patient. I don't know how big CK is but maybe it was a quiet nite.

Maybe someone here has a file of the system you are trying to monitor and they can build you one for the local EMS?

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Program the system as EDACS wide, and make sure you enter each of the frequencies in the order listed on the database page. As mention earlier LCN is 'Logical Channel Number' .... Basically just puts the frequencies in a particular order. DEC and AFS are just different ways of representing the talkgroup number. Personally I only use Decimal myself. Easier to remember and that what's real EDACS radios use. One you have the frequencies all programmed in, if you have the radio in ID Search mode you should hear activity. If you are in ID Scan mode, be sure to have the talkgroups you want to listen to programmed in.

crossfire291

Program the system as EDACS wide, and make sure you enter each of the frequencies in the order listed on the database page. As mention earlier LCN is 'Logical Channel Number' .... Basically just puts the frequencies in a particular order. DEC and AFS are just different ways of representing the talkgroup number. Personally I only use Decimal myself. Easier to remember and that what's real EDACS radios use. One you have the frequencies all programmed in, if you have the radio in ID Search mode you should hear activity. If you are in ID Scan mode, be sure to have the talkgroups you want to listen to programmed in.

Thanks, this I can understand best.

All I had in before was this:

I had activity at first, and then for more that 24 hours, I've heard nothing unless in manual, and on hold. I have just deleted all that, and entered in a new system.

This is what I have now:

01 858.13750c 02 858.38750 03 858.88750a 04 858.63750 05 859.13750 06 860.18750 07 860.43750 08 859.41250

I entered in the DEC, and the scanner seems to have converted them to AFS.

Are those 800 freqs needed for Fire in CK? Am I able to just use the freqs I listed first? Do I need all of this?

This is where I think my confusion is. I don't know what I actually need, and don't need.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You are on the right track now. In a nutshell, here is how it works: Chatham-Kent Fire and Police operate on the 800mhz EDACS system. For fire, they are dispatched on the EDACS system which is also patched to the county VHF dispatch frequency (154.680). 154.5550 and 155.3800 are vehicular repeater frequencies that are used by the rural departments. Basically their portables are vhf which communicate back to the truck radio which is then piped into an EDACS mobile. So those are just conventional channels. The trunked system operates on the 800mhz channels that you just entered... This is what you want to be listening to as you will only hear activity on the VHF channels if you are reasonably nearby wherever they are calling from.

If the scanner is converting the talkgroups to AFS then it's likely setup for that format. That will be in the menus somewhere... Look for an 'EDACS TG Format' option or something along those lines to pick which you want to use.

crossfire291

You are on the right track now. In a nutshell, here is how it works: Chatham-Kent Fire and Police operate on the 800mhz EDACS system. For fire, they are dispatched on the EDACS system which is also patched to the county VHF dispatch frequency (154.680). 154.5550 and 155.3800 are vehicular repeater frequencies that are used by the rural departments. Basically their portables are vhf which communicate back to the truck radio which is then piped into an EDACS mobile. So those are just conventional channels. The trunked system operates on the 800mhz channels that you just entered... This is what you want to be listening to as you will only hear activity on the VHF channels if you are reasonably nearby wherever they are calling from.

If the scanner is converting the talkgroups to AFS then it's likely setup for that format. That will be in the menus somewhere... Look for an 'EDACS TG Format' option or something along those lines to pick which you want to use.

That makes perfect sense now! Thanks.

For EMS, CK, Lambton, Middlesex, Essex. Is it basically the same deal, entering the control channels, then the TG's, yadda, yadda, yadda?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Pretty much, yes. System type would be Motorola Type 2 - VHF/UHF. You will need the base, spacing & offset (from the database page) and the frequencies for the tower site that is closest to you. One difference with Motorola systems, you have the option of only needing to enter the control channel frequencies only... so in your case for Chatham all you would need to enter is 142.3200 and 142.5150. Just make sure the 'Control Channel Only' option is selected.

crossfire291

Okay, Thanks. I try to tackle that.

However, I seems to be picking up public works on the ck fire side. how to i get rid of them. I didn't enter in anything from pub works, so I don't know why they are coming through.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you are hearing Works Dept, then it sounds like the radio is in 'ID Search' mode. To lock them out, either hit the lockout button whenever they pop up or put the scanner into 'ID Scan' mode and just make sure you have the FD talkgroups stored.

crossfire291

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you are hearing Works Dept, then it sounds like the radio is in 'ID Search' mode. To lock them out, either hit the lockout button whenever they pop up or put the scanner into 'ID Scan' mode and just make sure you have the FD talkgroups stored.

Thanks again Forts. Everything is now working perfectly!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

Great! Glad you got it sorted out!

crossfire291

I spoke too soon. I just discovered this morning that that Tilbury fire station was on a call, but I didn't hear the tone out. I can hear Chatham and Wallaceburg Fire Stations get toned out, they are full time. I can't hear any volunteer stations get toned out. Any thoughs or suggestions. I'ved tried re entering all the freqs, and th DEC, and all that, and nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.