• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication 1.40 firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0NDO

Premium Subscriber
Is there any update on the release of new firmware. Its been in the beta stage for quite a while and I have not heard any new info about it, or where their at in the testing.

amys17

Premium Subscriber
Even those of us in the 1.4 testing do not know. Alot of people in the beta testing rolled back their firmware off the 1.4 due to issues and lack of communication from unication. I love the g5 pagers, but the beta at this point is all but dead on the testing.

KD0NDO

Premium Subscriber
Even those of us in the 1.4 testing do not know. Alot of people in the beta testing rolled back their firmware off the 1.4 due to issues and lack of communication from unication. I love the g5 pagers, but the beta at this point is all but dead on the testing.
Good to know. Thanks for the info. I sure hope they continue to develop the firmware for these pagers. They've got a really good thing going on with this pager.

Synchro39

Premium Subscriber
that is good to make a dedicated scanner but don't let all people on the beta firmware without support we are not supposed to roll back and wait till next version 1.5 but when this version will be available maybe unication can give us some kind of answer are they still alive or not

anybody had issue with the roll back or everything is fine ???

KD0NDO

Premium Subscriber
that is good to make a dedicated scanner but don't let all people on the beta firmware without support we are not supposed to roll back and wait till next version 1.5 but when this version will be available maybe unication can give us some kind of answer are they still alive or not

That’s my thought as well. I’ve heard talk of a 1.5 version as well. I just hope they don’t abandon the future versions.

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber

After backing up my profile, I rolled back to 1.31 just this morning. So far, all is well.

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber
That is correct.

Back up and export your current profile using the current PPS for 1.40.
Select the "Download Firmware V1.31" button on the Unication USA website and follow the instructions for using the Unication AutoUp application. During the actual firmware installation, you will receive an error with a message that all the data on the pager will be erased. As long as you made a backup of your current profile, all will be fine. Agree to continue and the pager data will be erased and the 1.31 firmware will be installed in the pager. Once the firmware update is complete (make sure you do not unplug your pager until it is), the pager can be unplugged and the updater software closed.
Open PPS 3.16 Beta 24, import your previously exported profile and send the programming to the pager. You will then be back in business with 1.31.

MonitoringDelCo

Premium Subscriber
Is there any special place where a person could possibly find v1.4??
The beta test firmware is based on the serial number of the G4 or G5 pager. If you were not in the original group to receive the firmware from Unication Taiwan, the firmware will not load into the pager. The timeline to apply to be a beta tester has closed.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
That is correct.

Select the "Download Firmware V1.31" button on the Unication USA website and follow the instructions for using the Unication AutoUp application. During the actual firmware installation, you will receive an error with a message that all the data on the pager will be erased. As long as you made a backup of your current profile, all will be fine. Agree to continue and the pager data will be erased and the 1.31 firmware will be installed in the pager. Once the firmware update is complete (make sure you do not unplug your pager until it is), the pager can be unplugged and the updater software closed.
Open PPS 3.16 Beta 24, import your previously exported profile and send the programming to the pager. You will then be back in business with 1.31.
Thanks for the help. Worked this time. The CPS still throws up error messages but the programming worked.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Unication shouldn't have abandoned those beta testers without any communication or direction whatsoever. What kind of support is that?
in all fairness, it was a test, it's quite possible they couldn't overcome certain issues, have to remember this is a company making public safety pagers, not scanners yet, yes it would be nice but they don't have to, and as much as we value ourselves as hobbyists, our money is only a trickle of what they get from Public Safety

Synchro39

Premium Subscriber
Unication shouldn't have abandoned those beta testers without any communication or direction whatsoever. What kind of support is that?

just because of that i will not purchase new product from Unication before this problem is solved
That is correct.

downgraded yesterday to 1.31 everything look good i will test this tomorrow

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
I haven't heard from Tim in quite a while. I can't even remember what I emailed him about. I know it's in the sent folder, but I don't have a G4 anymore. I may get another but I don't have any interest. I can stick with SDRTrunk for now.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
just because of that i will not purchase new product from Unication before this problem is solved
Unication is probably accustomed to working through it's network of dealers, who handle the bulk of product support issues. There are some excellent dealers who more than make up for any lack of direct Unication support. I would keep that in mind when evaluating future purchases.

jabbeaux

When backing up, has anyone successfully cloned the entire HD inside their pager? To be clear: I'm not suggesting anything illegal. It's like a PC. When we program firmware 1.31, it's just flashing a portion of the HD. These are Linux-based radios, and there's a kernel that can get corrupted (dreaded red light issue that 3-button reset won't fix). I'd love to be able to re-install the entire kernel/OS and firmware. Would save on future Support charges when the kernel corrupts.

Having that full kernel/OS + firmware backups would give me the peace of mind to move around firmware versions. Every time I have a mild panic attack I'm about to take 5-10 pagers OOS if the flash fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.