• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication breaks the silence on PII timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmlovell

Premium Subscriber
I love it when smart guys battle over who is more right ...and hate it when I don't understand a thing they are debating about!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'll make it easy...I was right.

But we're getting off-topic here, so let's get back to the Unication.

JPSan

Dead horse still has to be beaten....

To ALL the whining crybabies over the charge for the PII upgrade.....

1). Your PAGER is NOT one of the HOBBY RADIO SCANNERS. It was designed primarily as a public safety pager.

2). Unication rep CLEARLY stated WHY the reason for the pricing for the upgrade...GO BACK AND REREAD the post in this thread. LICENSING FEES AND THE PER UNIT FEES that is required by the licensing agreement.
WHAT PART DON'T YOU PEOPLE CAN'T COMPREHEND??? Yeah, yeah you paid for a commercial pager and you demand hobby prices. SORRY. That world doesn't have to cater to you. Plus that laughable comment, I JUST WON'T RECOMMEND UNICATION to ANYONE...I bet there shaking in there boots over your lame threat.

Some of you feel you are owed everything you want because you demand it and expect it.

Thanks!

PS. Can always smash your high priced pager if you're still highly incensed. That will show them...lol. AND...

There are quite a few of us out here who are have a really good laugh at you whiners.:p

phirephoto

1). Your PAGER is NOT one of the HOBBY RADIO SCANNERS. It was designed primarily as a public safety pager.

2). Unication rep CLEARLY stated WHY the reason for the pricing for the upgrade...GO BACK AND REREAD the post in this thread. LICENSING FEES AND THE PER UNIT FEES that is required by the licensing agreement.
WHAT PART DON'T YOU PEOPLE CAN'T COMPREHEND??? Yeah, yeah you paid for a commercial pager and you demand hobby prices. SORRY. That world doesn't have to cater to you. Plus that laughable comment, I JUST WON'T RECOMMEND UNICATION to ANYONE...I bet there shaking in there boots over your lame threat.

Some of you feel you are owed everything you want because you demand it and expect it.

Thanks!

PS. Can always smash your high priced pager if you're still highly incensed. That will show them...lol. AND...

There are quite a few of us out here who are have a really good laugh at you whiners.:p

Not to be rude, but maybe you should reread some of these posts: A lot of people were promised the upgrade would be free.

milcom_chaser

Thanks!

There's probably a handful of hobbyists who would like to smash their high priced scanners...

JPSan

BUT, do they have it writing???

Not to be rude, but maybe you should reread some of these posts: A lot of people were promised the upgrade would be free.

If they have it in WRITING on the receipt or on a letterhead from Unication
then there not a legal leg to stand on. A promise means nothing in business when
money is involved. Somebody "implied" it would be free probably not realizing they were going to have to pay a per unit fee and other expenses.

A verbal contract won't cut it in a court of law.

Again, screaming, making idle threats and crying about it won't make it so.

If Unication would do a goodwill gesture and "grandfather" the upgrade that would be cool. Again, how many units would that involve and Unication would have to "eat" the loss.

But, they would lose as they would STILL have to pay for the per unit cost that they agreed to in the licensing agreement.

E'nuff said about that.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Actually, in Georgia, "verbal contracts" are admissible as evidence in civil court, and it only takes a "preponderance of evidence" to win a lawsuit.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Because most of todays people think the world owes the everything for free. They may have thought that they could do it and found out BIG M and the Lawyers had their hands tied and they would have to pay a per pager fee for the way the encoder fee works. If you look at KENWOOD P25 add on fees Radio $825 P25 Conventional $575 P25 Phase 1 $520 P25 Phase 2 $400 That brings the price to $2330.00 with no battery or charger and you still have to have a system key to follow P25 Trunking P1 or P2.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
It's funny how people jumped all over that paid Provoice upgrade for something that is end of life but won't dish out the $$$ for what a majority of public safety is migrating to in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
It's funny how people jumped all over that paid Provoice upgrade for something that is end of life but won't dish out the $$$ for what a majority of public safety is migrating to in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all about marketing -- Uniden pushed ProVoice (just like the hyped marketing for the host scanners themselves) with interactive color maps and like it was a big deal (as I will admit that it is to some who live where they can't hear anything without that upgrade).

Funny thing is in the Uniden case, I still see people shelling out money for something (ProVoice then DMR and maybe one day NXDN) and then wondering "what can I do with this?"....not really understanding what they bought. You think you'd know that before you give them your credit card number....

In this case, people who need it ill get it (just like the pager itself) and those who want everything for free will just continue to complain.

If you don't need it or want it and/or don't want to pay for it, don't buy it.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
So how can Uniden do it for a 50.00 charge to customers and whislter do it for free? I think this will seriously hurt your business and it should. You kept dragging and dragging out his update and charging crazy money for your pagers and people kept buying them well if you charge the crazy price of 150.00 for an update to something promise over a year ago I think your gravy train might just derail

Licensing vocoders is an expensive prospect with very high upfront cost and also per unit fees. I apologize if this isn't what you want to hear but that is the way of it.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
We dont know the details.
Perhaps uniden has higher volume so smaller per unit fee.
There are lots of details. Why does Kenwood charge so much?
If you feel you have been betrayed and lied to take them to court if it matters that much to you.

I like the product, was an early adapter and was also led to believe it was included, but i got mine used from an individual who may or may not have had the wrong info from where he got it from.
Plus i own scanners and Motorola and Realm gear so this is still cheaper and it works. So ill pay.
Id like it to be closer to 50-100 but oh well ill deal with it.

ecarvalho

please guys stop comparing the G5 with Uniden/Whistler scanners. unless you were given a written statement you could get free phase 2 upgrades you have nothing to go by. If unication asks me for 200 USD to upgrade id still pay. if you can't afford it or think is too much then don't upgrade...
god this is annoying

12dbsinad

150.00 for a PII upgrade? Not bad considering what upgrades cost in the land mobile world (which is what this falls under, not hobbyist).

Heck, I know some hard core hobbyist that spend more than this on beer and cigarettes in one week :)

cpetraglia

Then don't read it. Same analogy. I based my purchase on a promise from Unication that it would be free and soon. It is neither. That's all. I solved my problem with two KNG BK radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.