• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication breaks the silence on PII timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireattack484

Feed Provider
Unication just posted on Facebook that the Phase II upgrade is on track to be released in July and will have an MSRP of $150.

cpetraglia

I already paid $225 more for my Pager a year ago than they go for now. I will never pay that much for a feature that was promised a year ago as a free upgrade. That would put the cost of my pager over $1000.00. How is that fair?

diskmonger

Not sure what the big deal is, Unication has already explained they have to pay a license fee themselves to offer Phase 2, seems reasonable that cost would be passed on to the consumer for the upgrade.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Typical bait/switch, I can't believe they are charging existing customers for this; I will not recommend their pagers moving forward; we'll stick with Minitor VI's as long as possible now, this is BS Unication and I am sure this is going to hurt your business; I hope it does... Unication is beginning to look more and more like Uniden and the debacle with the 436/536 scanners.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
We were set to order 10 G5 in the very very near future but doubt I can convince our board to spend move money for phase 2 after the fact. We may stay with MinVI as well. I like my G5 though

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

N9JIG

Sheriff
Can you post a link to that, I cannot see that on the Unication Facebook page nor their homepage.

Edit: Never mind, I found it buried in a comment thread. Thanks for posting it!

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Not sure what the big deal is, Unication has already explained they have to pay a license fee themselves to offer Phase 2, seems reasonable that cost would be passed on to the consumer for the upgrade.

There is no way the license fee is $150. Scanners didn't increase that amount to receive Phase 2!

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
Licensing vocoders is an expensive prospect with very high upfront cost and also per unit fees. I apologize if this isn't what you want to hear but that is the way of it.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yeah I paid more for my G5 as an early buyer as well. But guess what, it works. I'll gladly pay $150 for the upgrade, if that works too.

People keep dishing out five bills for a Whistler or Uniden that DOESN'T work on LSM.

I'm not defending Unication as I have my complaints regarding firmware updates, software improvements etc.

But it's this or go buy an eBay parts built APX6000 for $1,500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecarvalho

Licensing vocoders is an expensive prospect with very high upfront cost and also per unit fees. I apologize if this isn't what you want to hear but that is the way of it.

David, thank you for your comment and I wanted to let you know I'm happy to see Phase 2 is finally coming. I don't mind paying for the upgrade as long as Unication maintains its excellent simulcast handling.
My G5 is flawless and even current Phase 2 systems with Phase 1 transmissions are decoding perfectly. I own both top of the line Whistler TRX-2 and Uniden BDC536HP scanners and neither decode or handle traffic like the G5 when compared side by side.
The Uniden radio gets better simulcast handle if I use a directional (Yagi) antenna and attenuation. Still misses a call here and there.
I appreciate the work you do and all the SMEs, PMs plus folks in the background, making possible for professionals and hobbyists to own a quality piece of equipment.
I do hope to see the new firmware soon!

A happy G5 owner.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Guys, before today, Phase 2 was a prediction. Today, it has come closer to reality. $150 (MSRP, mind you) is a bit steep. Look at this way, you had yours for a while and seen how it performs, this upgrade is icing on the cake for someone who really needs Phase 2. I for one don't need it, for now. When and if the time comes, I'll gladly pay for the upgrade as it will do what no other presently built scanner does, outstanding simulcast performance. I for one would like to see implementation of scanner features such as tg hold and improvements over the time it takes for the radio to change zones, etc. Maybe with this announcement, Unication will be closer to meeting these goals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

minasha

IMHO
All the good stuff is encrypted these days anyway so the point is moot.

radio3353

IMHO
All the good stuff is encrypted these days anyway so the point is moot.

Not true at all. While some (many?) police departments are going encrypted, most fire and EMS comms are not. Plus, there is aviation, railroads, business, etc, etc to listen to.

Broad brush comments like "all the good stuff is encrypted" are not generally useful.

WA3CSX

Premium Subscriber
ok my question is should I buy one of these now,since the price has dropped or wait until July/August when the P2 is out and if I wait will the new units already have the upgrade with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.