• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G2-G5 Multi Band Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
700 / 800 / VHF / UHF all in one antenna. 8.5 inch flexible whip. I've been testing and the results are really good. It will not be on the market for 3-4 months. I do not have pricing info but it will not be expensive.

Attachments

• Ant_All.jpg
    Ant_All.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 326
  • Ant2.jpg
    Ant2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 325
  • Ant1.jpg
    Ant1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 289

radio3353

It has to be a stellar performer for me to put that on my G4 or G5. The stubby antenna is one of the attractions of my Unications. Nevertheless, I appreciate your continuing product development.

Also, how does it being VHF/UHF help us if the VHF/UHF antenna in the G5 is internal only?

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
It has to be a stellar performer for me to put that on my G4 or G5. The stubby antenna is one of the attractions of my Unications. Nevertheless, I appreciate your continuing product development.

Also, how does it being VHF/UHF help us if the VHF/UHF antenna in the G5 is internal only?
It doesn't. You will only benefit from the 700 / 800. Just like the G2 would only benefit from their specific band.

blackbelter

As long as I am in coverage ,the stubby OEM antenna is great . I have not experienced the “Out of Range “ issue even within plus 30 miles of the towers .

APX7500X2

It doesn't. You will only benefit from the 700 / 800. Just like the G2 would only benefit from their specific band.
Since you confirm this antenna will do only the single band the external sma connector will handle, why make a multi band antenna?
It looks to be about the length of the Motorola VHF antenna.
And the Motorola UHF and 800 antennas are smaller and work great on the G series
Kenwood also makes SMA antennas in specific frequencies

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
Since you confirm this antenna will do only the single band the external sma connector will handle, why make a multi band antenna?
It looks to be about the length of the Motorola VHF antenna.
And the Motorola UHF and 800 antennas are smaller and work great on the G series
Kenwood also makes SMA antennas in specific frequencies
Because there are four different products with external sma connectors. Why make four different antennas when it can all be done with one? The Motorola antennas are not designed for our products. This has been discussed here hundreds of times.

APX7500X2

Because there are four different products with external sma connectors. Why make four different antennas when it can all be done with one? The Motorola antennas are not designed for our products. This has been discussed here hundreds of times.
You would only have to make 3 great preforming antennas since the G4 & G5 both use the external SMA for the same frequency range.

We are well aware that the Motorola antennas are not designed for the G series (And some people know why), and have been discussed hundreds of times on a discussion forum...but thanks for the reminder

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I really don't think that there's any trolling going on here.

A jack of all trades is usually a master of none. Is the wide band coverage worth the trade off (possible compromises)? That is what I think people are asking.

G2-VHF or UHF coverage, no need for the other (VHF or UHF) band and 700/800

G3-VHF/UHF Coverage, no need for 700/800 coverage

G4-7/800 coverage, no need for VHF/UHF

G5-7/800, internal antenna for VHF or UHF, no need for VHF/UHF.

Now, as was asked by a previous poster, if there is a plan to change future design of the G5 to utilize the SMA for both bands or add a product where the full range of this antenna was to be used, that would be an entirely different animal.

radio3353

A jack of all trades is usually a master of none. Is the wide band coverage worth the trade off (possible compromises)? That is what I think people are asking.

This is an important statement. I think what makes the Unication pagers so successful with their performance over a consumer scanner is their limitation to a somewhat narrow band of frequencies vs a wide swatch of spectrum (plus plain old good engineering.) We all here appreciate Unication and their excellent products and hope to see them offer new products be they radios or antennas or other accessories. This prompted my somewhat tongue-in-cheek response in post #2 of this thread regarding the 'wide-band' antenna which I believe was taken too seriously by a few people. No harm was intended to Uni1's announcement. I agree that I don't feel APX7500X2 was trolling here. Frankly, I was a bit taken aback by post #14. I think the users on the Unication forum here are by and large professional and very helpful, unlike a few other forums on RR. I can't say enough good things about Unication's participation here. Good post Citywide.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
700 / 800 / VHF / UHF all in one antenna. 8.5 inch flexible whip. I've been testing and the results are really good. It will not be on the market for 3-4 months. I do not have pricing info but it will not be expensive.

Nice! I'll buy one when they're available . . . I love experimenting with antennas.

My primary monitoring needs are centered on a nearby strong, simulcast P25 system, and the internal UHF antenna has served me very well there. I occasionally monitor a more distant 700 MHz P25 system that sometimes drops out of range, so I bought the "blue" antenna to see if that offered better performance than the "purple" antenna that originally came with the G5. I haven't observed a significant improvement in reception with the "blue" antenna, but I'm pretty confident the longer 700/800 antenna will make a positive difference.

Like some of the other people who've shared their thoughts here, I really like Unication's "stubby" antennas and the compact size of the G-series pagers, but there are limitations to what you can squeeze out of a really short antenna.

Save one of those new antennas for me, Uni1!

-Johnnie (KC5IGH)

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
If the multi band antenna is not the product for you, don't buy it. Simple; n'est-ce pas? Anyway, there are multiple forum members who own G5's or 4's, and a G2 or G3, and that'd be the antenna for them.
That isn't what I was saying and the "if you don't like it don't buy it" line is a little condescending on a discussion board. Isn't the purpose of discussion to gain information to make an informed decision on a product? It may actually be something I'd be interested in for the RISCON system, but probably not for the Detroit system. Since no user is going to get the advantage of all bands this antenna provides, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if there are any compromises associated with a multi band antenna (1 option) vs. the possibility of Unication branded gain antennas cut for the bands the specific user will be using their pager on (multiple options.)

N6ML

I think @Citywide173 has a very valid point. Multi-band antennas always involve some compromise (gain, impedance matching, radiation pattern, etc.). Single-band variants for each band would be optimal in terms of performance, but may not make business sense for Unication. I don't know how they source these products, but guess that they place an order with some manufacturing company, with pricing based on quantity (for a given design). Maybe if they were to order three different designs, the quantity for each would be lower, and the price would be higher. If they've come up with a multi-band design that provides enough benefit on all of the bands, it may be worthwhile. It'll interesting to see how these compare to the single-band stubbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.