• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G4/5 Bluetooth Speaker Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Inside the hotel in Romulus, about 15 miles west and the last signal I heard was on the road about 25 miles east in Ontario on Route 401. I came in through Toledo and had signal well before I got on 275.

I have not driven on 401, but that looks like a clear shot, and I know the approach from Toledo is. The signals do not carry quite as well to the north, the last time I tried.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I have not driven on 401, but that looks like a clear shot, and I know the approach from Toledo is. The signals do not carry quite as well to the north, the last time I tried.
I could never get a signal at the hotel, even on my mobile mounted 996XT connected to an Austin Spectra which does gangbusters within 5 miles of the city limits. The video was taken (obviously inside) on the first floor at the western end of the motel. I have tried multiple portable scanners with stock, 800, suction cup dipole and homebrew (BNC to screw post with correct length wire for frequency) antennas with no luck whatsoever in the past. Couldn't even hear the data on the control channel.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I know this has been asked somewhere on the forum before, but has anyone had any luck pairing a G4/G5 to something like a Motorola Bluetooth RSM or PTT pod? I am looking for something I can clip on my shirt or backpack with a pretty loud speaker (I know the Motorola stuff is loud) for when I am on fire scenes. Also was looking at the PTT pod for scenes I am at where I need to be able to listen with an earpiece only. I am a news photographer so I am frequently on scenes where it’s nice to be able to blast my radio without an earpiece like a fire and 10 minutes later I might be standing in front of a SWAT scene where it’s best to listen over an earpiece.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I have one of these from Klein and it does not work with the G4. Blu-RSM® Bluetooth Speaker Microphone
It does work with my BK KNG2. Motorola has some proprietary stuff with their radios. So have not tried it with my XPR7550 yet. I was told it would not work. Or maybe it was the PTT that would not work but the SPK would. Either way the XPR has not been tested.

fmulder13

I was in Detroit for a few days this week. First, the G5 did better at reception than any radio I've ever owned. I was receiving Detroit 20+ miles outside the city limits, which I've never been able to do in the 12 years I've been going out there. I recently picked up a Galaxy Note 10+, which does not have an earphone jack and I really didn't want to wear two bluetooth headsets (Unication and my Plantronics) so I picked up a pair of Samsung Galaxy Buds. Good and bad news. The earbuds would not connect to two devices simultaneously to allow both my phone and the G5 to be in my ear (I didn't put a lot of effort into troubleshooting this), but they could be used with just one earbud in at a time. They paired without problem to the G5 and the best part of all was that there was no connection tone (ringing) before each transmission. It worked great for my needs.
Thanks very much for the tip on this! My Motorola Sliver II (works great with my G5-no beeps, good, loud audio, in case anyone has one lying around) bit the dust, and I replaced it with a pair of Galaxy Buds upon your recommendation. So far I'm really happy. The small form factor of the Galaxy Buds is awesome, as is the ability to use 1 or 2 at a time and charge them in the case. Audio is a little low, but I think it will be livable.

fmulder13

I’m noticing a delay in passing audio with the galaxy buds connected. Has anyone else experienced this? The first part of transmissions is sometimes cut off, especially when scanning a zone with a lot of talkgroups. This only happens on Bluetooth. Perhaps it’s a processor speed issue.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Did you turn voice buffering ON or off in tab 5 of the PPS for your Zone box? it tells you before you save it "the front parts of transmissions could be cut off unless you use voice-buffering on"

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
If @Johnnydollar2 suggestion doesnt work it may be a limitation of the V2 BT that unication uses. With that protocol it has to establish an audio connection each time a call comes in. Then when the call is done, the connection drops.

fmulder13

I think that might ultimately be the case. I've been playing with turning voice buffering off and on, and the same results happen. Furthermore, there's no delay/cutoff without bluetooth. Maybe firmware updates can address this, or maybe it just is what it is.

blackbelter

Thanks very much for the tip on this! My Motorola Sliver II (works great with my G5-no beeps, good, loud audio, in case anyone has one lying around) bit the dust, and I replaced it with a pair of Galaxy Buds upon your recommendation. So far I'm really happy. The small form factor of the Galaxy Buds is awesome, as is the ability to use 1 or 2 at a time and charge them in the case. Audio is a little low, but I think it will be livable.
My Motorola Sliver II (works great with my G5-no beeps, good, loud audio, in case anyone has one lying around) bit the dust,

So your Motorola silver 2 head set paired with G5 and loud audio?

N2YQT

Ambulance Driver
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone tried taking a Bluetooth receiver paired with the pager and feeding the audio into a Bluetooth transmitter that uses a newer standard?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Did you turn voice buffering ON or off in tab 5 of the PPS for your Zone box? it tells you before you save it "the front parts of transmissions could be cut off unless you use voice-buffering on"

That is for paging, and buffering the radio traffic audio while the pager is alerting.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
If @Johnnydollar2 suggestion doesnt work it may be a limitation of the V2 BT that unication uses. With that protocol it has to establish an audio connection each time a call comes in. Then when the call is done, the connection drops.

Unication has stated that the audio is processed via the BT phone connection protocol, and a "new call" is generated for each radio transmission.

fmulder13

So your Motorola silver 2 head set paired with G5 and loud audio?
Like a charm, more or less. Before firmware 1.2 it had a short beep at the END of the transmission, and post firmware 1.2 it was beep-less. It still cut off the very front of transmissions however. I'd miss unit numbers, sometimes entire transmissions, just like I'm experiencing with the Galaxy buds.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Unication has stated that the audio is processed via the BT phone connection protocol, and a "new call" is generated for each radio transmission.
[/QUOTE] -
Yes, that was posted before 1.2 firmware fixed* it if I remember.
I'm glad my Jabra BT ear-pieces aren't doing that. They're perfect just as all my BT things are. I'm guessing it's a problem with his device of choice.

fmulder13

-
Yes, that was posted before 1.2 firmware fixed* it if I remember.
I'm glad my Jabra BT ear-pieces aren't doing that. They're perfect just as all my BT things are. I'm guessing it's a problem with his device of choice.
[/QUOTE]
Your Jabra earpieces have no delay in passing audio?

DewAddict

Has anyone tried taking a Bluetooth receiver paired with the pager and feeding the audio into a Bluetooth transmitter that uses a newer standard?

This is what I'm curious about as well. I don't want to spend $700 just to try it out. I had a G4 two years ago and it just didn't get loud enough in the vehicle for me along with a few other issues.

On a side note, are the new G4/G5 units shipping with a newer Bluetooth standard like 4 or 5, or still v2.1? I see the new G2/G3 have Bluetooth v4.2.

winstonsf

Premium Subscriber
Does not seem like it. I received a new G4 replacement unit from Unication USA A couple weeks ago and it shows Bluetooth 2.1.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I have one of these from Klein and it does not work with the G4. Blu-RSM® Bluetooth Speaker Microphone
It does work with my BK KNG2. Motorola has some proprietary stuff with their radios. So have not tried it with my XPR7550 yet. I was told it would not work. Or maybe it was the PTT that would not work but the SPK would. Either way the XPR has not been tested.
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to do a follow up.
My Blu RSM will pair with the G4 now. So nice to see Unication tweaking bluetooth settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.