• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G4 intermittent issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

iloverf

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes I turn my Unication G4 on without watching it boot up and making sure it comes up normally, gets signal and starts scanning - and I'll notice minutes later after hearing no traffic that the screen is blank - even though it's powered on. Pretty sure I've tried mashing a few buttons to see if it wakes the radio/screen up but usually just end up turning it off and back on again - this usually resolves the issue. It could be the radio is doing something it's meant to do or misconfigured to do and I just don't recognize what's happening... Sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions for something to push/do besides power cycling it next time it happens?

JoeyC

Yes, it happens to mine from time to time. It always comes back after a restart so I haven't been concerned. Maybe I should?

picscan

Premium Subscriber
I sent mine in, when I would change the channel it would go through the re-boot, the joystick went out on mine too. The other day I turned mine off but it would not turn off, I had to pull the battery. Good thing they have a 5 year warranty.

JoeyC

I sent mine in, when I would change the channel it would go through the re-boot, the joystick went out on mine too. The other day I turned mine off but it would not turn off, I had to pull the battery. Good thing they have a 5 year warranty.
I have not had any of that happen to mine, but just as iloverf described, I turn mine on and occasionally (maybe once every 20 turnons) it will do nothing. Usually you can change the channel knob, or push a button and the screen will light up and you can be assured all is well, but not when this happens, it is just dark and non responsive. Turning off and back on things have always (so far) returned to normal operation for me.

ka9rxk

My G5 VHF does the same thing. I turn it on, after a while realize I haven't heard anything, and then check to see that it is dead. I then trun it off and back on and it works again.

I then laugh to myself because everyone out here keeps reminding us that this is a "professional radio." My Motorola APX8000XE turns on 100% of the time. Come to think of it . . . .so does my Baofeng.

It's amazing what we're willing to put up with for the small form factor and excellent receive!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Due to their sophistication, I'm sure intermittent glitches will occur. It's when those glitches become common among users and repetitive that it's worth investigating. Case in point, just last night I powered my G5 up while it was on knob position 1. Instead, it displayed the contents of position 6. That's the first time it's done that, and so I'm not going to worry. I just toggled the knob to display the proper programming instead. Now, if that happens again, I'll simply reload the code plug.

blackbelter

My G5 behaves the same . Occasionally after charging the unit the screen goes blank and I simply turn the unit off and back on again. I communicated this with my dealer and he mentioned that this sounds like the processor and I can sent it in or reload the FW if continues . I will wait for the 1.3 and decide .

RBMTS

Strange, I've never had that happen with my G5. I wonder if it could be something with the codeplug profile. I know that some people are excited to get their new Gx pager and prebuild a codeplug. Possibly they selected the wrong model number in the drop-down box in the PPS?? Example they selected and programmed (and ultimately uploaded) a codeplug based on a xx-1400 and their true model is a xx-1401 ?

When my G5 arrived, I downloaded the codeplug from the radio (and saved a copy). I then programmed in all of my settings into that original codeplug and then uploaded it. Again, never had a problem with it locking up, feature not working correctly, etc. Guess I'm just lucky.

AdamHLG

When my G5 arrived, I downloaded the codeplug from the radio (and saved a copy). I then programmed in all of my settings into that original codeplug and then uploaded it. Again, never had a problem with it locking up, feature not working correctly, etc. Guess I'm just lucky.

This is exactly what I did and also what I did for the other radio's I programmed for folks. I too, however, have noticed that once in a blue moon I will get the silent treatment, and turning it off and on fixes it. Another bizarre issue that happened twice in one month - so very very intermittent - is that I will hear a random police talk group when scanning 10 programmed FD talk groups. Not sure what's up with that but it goes away just as quickly as it appears and I do not even need to restart the radio. Neither of these issues really bug me at all as I still love this radio.

JoeyC

Oddly enough this just happened to mine. I turned it on and before it had fully booted up I turned the selector knob from position 8 to 1 and attempted to change the zone before the radio was ready. The unit stayed dark because of this. I'm thinking this is why my unit stops responding.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I have experienced most of these issues with my G4 and numerous others over the last 2 years. I really like the G4 in terms of P25 RX performance, but Unication needs to get it together. These pagers are advertised as "Mission Critical" public safety devices, so unless Unication has a vastly different definition for mission-critical, they have a long way to go. Reliability should be just as important as functionality.

winstonsf

Premium Subscriber
I had a new unit that would not turn on after turning it on. This would happen intermittently, maybe 1 out of 10 turn on’s. A replacement unit did not have this problem but it did reboot itself once in the middle of operating.

iloverf

Premium Subscriber
I assume I need to wait for the problem to occur again after enabling the Trace Log functions per the .pdf to make sure relevant logs are included when I attempt to extract/upload?

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
Yes. When you see any issue, hold the smaller side button until you see the message "save log end". After you saved the log it can be uploaded whenever convenient.

JoeyC

I just tried to "save log end" but because the screen is black and the unit is unresponsive, nothing happens. Was there a save that I didn't see?

In addition, from the Function Status page, I have only 3 options on 3 pages, not 5 as per the instructions you sent:
1. Select Zone
2. Bluetooth settings
3. Monitor mode (greyed out)

Last edited:

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
I just tried to "save log end" but because the screen is black and the unit is unresponsive, nothing happens. Was there a save that I didn't see?

In addition, from the Function Status page, I have only 3 options on 3 pages, not 5 as per the instructions you sent:
1. Select Zone
2. Bluetooth settings
3. Monitor mode (greyed out)
What firmware version is in your pager?

Status
Not open for further replies.