Unication G4 Receiver and MARCS-IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Unication G4 Receiver And MARCS-IP

-Radio IDs: The G4/5 display RIDs.

-Scanning: The G4/5 scan up to 64 talkgroups.

-multiple zones: The G4/5 will do one zone at a time.

-easy access to everything: It sounds like RELM has an edge here.

-Capable of being loaded with encryption keys: The G4/5 will do encryption,

-Able to add multiple sites to roam: The RELM also has an edge here.

How many talkgroups can the RELM scan at a time?

Will the RELM allow monitoring ALL activity on a trunked system?

Can you lock out talkgroups if monitoring ALL activity on a trunked system?

Depending on the answers to the above, I might have to add a RELM to my arsenal!

Last edited:

gtaman

-Radio IDs: The G4/5 display RIDs.

-Scanning: The G4/5 scan up to 64 talkgroups.

-multiple zones: The G4/5 will do one zone at a time.

-easy access to everything: It sounds like RELM has an edge here.

-Capable of being loaded with encryption keys: The G4/5 will do encryption,

-Able to add multiple sites to roam: The RELM also has an edge here.

Will the RELM allow monitoring ALL activity on a trunked system?

Can you lock out talkgroups if monitoring ALL activity on a trunked system?

Depending on the answers to the above, I might have to add a RELM to my arsenal!

Yes. It can do everything the XTS/APX can do without affiliation and system keys with the right software. Also it does TDMA. I can't give all the specifics you can always find the brochure on RELMs website.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Why? here's why? THIS Video is the norm, not the exception for most scanners today. Just look at the various brand forum posts and read the complaints about simulcast trunked problems. And until January 15th 2017 it's $700 at select places where you buy. Add to that future upgrades like Phase II TDMA in the works and tweaks to make it more scanner-like? there's no comparison in quality. Those pagers are professional radios used by Police/Fire. You don't get the "same thing" in scanners when you can't hear due to simulcast distortion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsxxUoLDLEk

I notice (in the video) on the both scanners didn't have signal bars.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Unication G4 Receiver And MARCS-IP

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Unication G4 Recv-Marcs-IP

@bravo14. Yes, those aren't my videos or scanners. But I can vouch for the WS1080 video that guy made too. With the stock antenna and even the RS800mhz you get zilch in some areas. It's all location, especially with a rubber ducky. I was shocked when I turned on my WS1080 for the first time. Nothing. Couldn't get squat where I am. No signal bars or "S" I am surrounded by LSM and lots of signals. The WS1080 was dead slient on the local P25 Simulcast system. My 14 year old Pro96? loud and clear. It was coming in fine as usual for Phase 1. I eventually had to use tactics I did to program the Pro96 in trouble areas for an old analog trunked system here. I attenuated the SITE in EZScan. That helps a lot. Out of my area out west? the WS1080 comes in perfect. So go figure. Those Unication voice pagers will receive anywhere in range. That's the difference. Uniden/Whister are hit and miss.
I can't buy one yet as they *Unication don't have TDMA support which is on my system here daily. Our Firegrounds and admin talkgroups are all Phase II TDMA. I'm waiting for THAT to be added and a pause for talk-groups. I hear a lot of wishing for such features and anticipation, but haven't heard anyone from Unication actually say if it's possible for that pager to do those. So I wait$.

Last edited by a moderator:

cpetraglia

Got my portable for $2300.00 after shipping and tax. That was in December when Relm had a promotion going on the KNG P800. The price is higher now. Just got my M800 yesterday.
This is a beautiful radio. $2900.00. Depends on what you need and where you by it. Still half the price of Motorola and easy to program receive only.

lifeson

Premium Subscriber
I own the G4 and the G5 - They work almost flawlessly on the MARCS-IP System. I also own 996XT, HP536, HP436 (x3) and all the Whistler, Radio Shack versions of scanners. Here is my estimate on the reliability of Decoding the MARCS-IP in my county.

Pro106 - May decode 10-20 % of all traffic
PSR800 - May decode 20-30 % of all Traffic
Uniden 996XT - Possibly 50% of all Traffic
Uniden 536 - Possibly 60-70% of all traffic
Uniden 436 - Possibly 70-80 % of all traffic

G4 & G5 - Possibly 95% of ALL Traffic

I am using Stock Antennas, Roof Antennas (Discone) Yagi Antenna (Roof Mount) and also Radio Shack 800 Mhz Antenna. The YAGI is best - Stock antenna is next best on 436.

G4 & G5 - just using stock stubby

I also am within 5 miles of Montgomery County - I can get full signal on 436 Roof Antenna - but only about 20% decode - the G5 is 100% decode in upstairs office - and I am using it for a Private Online Stream - so I can listen on smartphone or any internet computer.

There are some limitations to the pager - only scanning 1 MARCS-IP Site at a time is a main one if you plan to be mobile. You can assign a site to each knob position - just cant scan them all at once.

Programming is easy - and I could share a MARCS-IP File ....

Jason K
What is the program or site do you use to private online stream?
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.