Unication G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
So I decided to buy the Unication G4. I have been doing some "pre-programming" before I got it today. Done some testing in my house in Pasadena and so far I am extremely happy with it.

Some test results comparing the G4 and by Uniden BCD436HP. Full radio reception is 4 bars with the G4.

Baltimore County:
BCD436HP - 0 Bars. Never can receive it.
Unication G4 - 4 bars sometimes 3. Really decodes system well.

Baltimore City:
BCD436HP - I usually get full 4 bars but I always have to "move it" around to get DAT.
Unication G4 - 4 bars. No issue at all with receiving it.

Prince Georges North Site
BCD436HP – 0 Bars
Unication G4 – 2-3 Bars. Really Impressive!

Did some testing with FiRST Sites. At the time, there was no Phase 1 activity but just testing if it could receive the sites.

Anne Arundel:
BCD436HP - 3-4 Bars. Always have to move it around to get a good spot.
Unication G4 - 4 Bars

Howard County
BCD436HP - 0 Bars
Unication G4 - 3 Bars.

Kent
BCD436HP -0 Bars
Unication G4 - 0 Bars

Queen Anne
BCD436HP – 0 Bars
Unication G4 – 2 Bars

Can’t wait to test it out more! Really impressive little pager. Didn’t expect to receive PG from here. There some drawbacks with this radio. No Phase II yet. Can’t receive Anne Arundel or Howard

marksmith

I would call no Motorola coverage in Pasadena a definite drawback...

But never have even heard of anyone getting PG from there.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Mr_Boh

Matches what everyone else has been reporting. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if it has the filtering technology found on Motorola RF boards. It helps when you’re limiting users to a small window of RF range.

My 436HP is deaf to PG unless I’m basically in it. My issued Motorola portables can pick it up in a vehicle all the way in to Baltimore.

I hate seeing guys use Motorolas as scanners but for places like Baltimore County where you can’t hear a thing inside the county with a scanner I could understand why I see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I would call no Motorola coverage in Pasadena a definite drawback...

But never have even heard of anyone getting PG from there.

I bought it knowing that. While it might not be a perfect solution for scanning, my ability to monitor PG & BCo now when I couldn't before, I think it is worth it.

Matches what everyone else has been reporting. At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if it has the filtering technology found on Motorola RF boards. It helps when you’re limiting users to a small window of RF range.

My 436HP is deaf to PG unless I’m basically in it. My issued Motorola portables can pick it up in a vehicle all the way in to Baltimore.

I hate seeing guys use Motorolas as scanners but for places like Baltimore County where you can’t hear a thing inside the county with a scanner I could understand why I see it happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is pretty amazing little "radio."

Try an outside antenna with it. You will be totally amazed. !!!!

I might have to try that one day!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Any (new) word when Unication will support P25p2? It was supposed to be around June earlier this year, but that projection has come and gone. I *really* want to buy this radio, but I'm uneasy about unfulfilled expectations. Also supporting legacy type 2 trunking, but I don't see that being a priority since that technology is more or less legacy.

Mr_Boh

Any (new) word when Unication will support P25p2? It was supposed to be around June earlier this year, but that projection has come and gone. I *really* want to buy this radio, but I'm uneasy about unfulfilled expectations.

Speaking with Unication the upgrade is out in the field now for testing so it should be public soon (thinking August from what I hear). It will be a paid update, FYI.

Also I’m hearing rumblings of decoding encrypted talkgroups being tested though unconfirmed. Although I’m not sure I like the idea because it would be a software decode which would DESTROY a battery vs having dedicated crypto hardware. And to be FIPS compliant it would need to accept a KVL unless it’s only doing something like ADP only which would not need crypto hardware but then you couldn’t do AES/DES

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What's the typical battery life now on these radios?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Looks like Unication P25p2 is delayed until 1Q18. I almost broke down and purchased one under the assumption that phase 2 was very close...

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Really like this pager. Amazed at the distances this G4 can received. Listening to the FiRST Queen Anne Site. Fire Tac-3 was in Phase I for units responding to a structure fire (turned out to be trash burning).

marksmith

Really like this pager. Amazed at the distances this G4 can received. Listening to the FiRST Queen Anne Site. Fire Tac-3 was in Phase I for units responding to a structure fire (turned out to be trash burning).
Your earlier comments on Baltimore County and PG County were more of a sell for me. I can listen to QA fire on the AA site in p2, which I am sure you can as well.

Can't get PG unless I am there and although I am very close to Baltimore County, too close to 2 sites and simulcast gets me pretty hard except on 536, and still marginal. A mile down road it's fine.

Was ready to pick one up when it's been announced p2 won't be available for about another year. Probably will wait now, until p2 is offered.

What is the difference between G4 and G5?

Mr_Boh

What is the difference between G4 and G5?

G4 is single band G5 is dual band and G5 does analog two tone paging G4 does not.

G5 is meant for places where paging happens on a simulcast and operations are on the trunked system, like most systems in Maryland. G4 is intended when you will use the paging functionalities of P25 on the system itself or don’t need paging capabilities.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Got my G4 back (Upgraded Phase II) and really pleased so far.

So far tested it on FiRST Sites- Anne Arundel, Baltimore County, Greenbury Point, Queen Anne, Matapeake, Harford, Kent, Howard, Towson - All with Great Results!

Even faintly got one bar on Talbot Site!! Wow!

So far doing really good on the PG System too.

Status
Not open for further replies.